GDT: Game IV Pens vs Habs 1730hrs EST: Battle of the Prime

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They'll probably dick around with Groat for the next like 10ish games (longer?) but he really should have been in the AHL like... yesterday.

I'm not even necessarily THAT adamant that he should be in the lineup over some other guys. He very much looks like a project so far to me. But this isn't doing him a bit of good. And it's not like WB/S is some shitshow roster this season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll probably dick around with Groat for the next like 10ish games (longer?) but he really should have been in the AHL like... yesterday.

I'm not even necessarily THAT adamant that he should be in the lineup over some other guys. He very much looks like a project so far to me. But this isn't doing him a bit of good. And it's not like WB/S is some shitshow roster this season.

Agree with this 100%. Either play him or send him to WBS, and based on his performance so far, sending him to WBS seems to be the correct option.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Being the best line in a 6-0 blowout loss isn't really saying much.
I disagree. It´s actually important for young players and a good way to build confidence.

There´s a double standard for young players and vets on this team which can´t be denied. Rust is the best example and it is really frustrating how Sullivan manages the roster.

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Agree with this 100%. Either play him or send him to WBS, and based on his performance so far, sending him to WBS seems to be the correct option.

It's not a commentary against him, really. Having him adjust to the NHL while playing limited minutes with somewhat limited players in a limited system coached by a guy with a limited brain is a big ask. The AHL seems like the ideal spot for him this season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree. It´s actually important for young players and a good way to build confidence.

There´s a double standard for young players and vets on this team which can´t be denied. Rust is the best example and it is really frustrating how Sullivan manages the roster.

Rust is a career top-6 winger that has been about a 60 point per 82 game player for the Penguins in the last 8 years, and is coming off a year with 56 points in 62 games. The only part about Rust's usage that is silly is that people here think that literally any team is going to be using him any differently.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Acciari and Hayes have been just as dog shit as McG.
I actually think Hayes hasn’t been bad.

Sometimes it feels like Sully purposely sabotages young players so he can point and go “see”.

Glass will be our youngest in the lineup at 25? Average NHL player is 27.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Rust is a career top-6 winger that has been about a 60 point per 82 game player for the Penguins in the last 8 years, and is coming off a year with 56 points in 62 games. The only part about Rust's usage that is silly is that people here think that literally any team is going to be using him any differently.
These are nice stats but does it warrant him playing on PP1 over Bunting when Bunting is clearly the best netfront guy they have? Does it warrant him playing 20mins in his first game back after an injury? I don´t think so

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I actually think Hayes hasn’t been bad.

Sometimes it feels like Sully purposely sabotages young players so he can point and go “see”.

Glass will be our youngest in the lineup at 25? Average NHL player is 27.

I just don’t get the idea that McG has been our worst forward.

He’s been giving the crap minutes Sullivan always gives our young players.

St Ivany for Shea is dog shit too.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I just don’t get the idea that McG has been our worst forward.

He’s been giving the crap minutes Sullivan always gives our young players.

St Ivany for Shea is dog shit too.
I don’t disagree with that. He’s literally following the playbook to ruin a prospect.

If there is a playbook. If not Sully can write it when he’s gone in 2040.

Last edited:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What goaltender has looked to be "The ONE" to push forward with, with this lack of defense?

I'd say nobody has a leg up on anyone. That's the harsh reality with this team.

Ned just hasn't played yet, but so far the starters are all 3.0 or above.

The team collectively has to come together and give their all to keep goals out of the net. This roster doesn't yet have that feel to it. I'd give it until the 20 game/1/4 season mark until real change is needed.
Blomquist has looked good enough that I am tempted to see how far he can run with the opportunity. He's been better than Bad Jarry, but for all his faults, Jarry's got some very impressive peaks that I would want to be very sure are gone for good before discarding him in favor of a fresh rookie.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Despite not scoring, Eller has looked really good. Dude is skating like he's 25. Or rather, he's playing like a guy who wants to get traded to a solid contender at the TDL. I have had ZERO issues with Eller. This is coming from a guy who has advocated trading him since he got here.

If you think Eller is an issue at the moment, I really don't know what to tell you.

Agreed. The discussion right now should really be which two of DOC, Puljujarvi, and Puustinen do you play on a nightly basis.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Very curious about the Amazon Prime production this evening. They are saying the theme music by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is killer, and something like 60 different cameras with new angles that are pretty impressive.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Big win coming tonight

For the Habs!

1728930653604.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lars Eller has been great….

The word “great” and it’s description of players on this team has definitely changed over the last few years….
He's a 35yo 3C making $2.4mil on an expiring contract.

The word "great" hasn't changed. I would say this boards expectations vs reality needs serious calibration from time to time.

...but then I consider the source.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He's a 35yo 3C making $2.4mil on an expiring contract.

The word "great" hasn't changed. I would say this boards expectations vs reality needs serious calibration from time to time.

...but then I consider the source.

He’s a plug.

He’s exactly what is wrong with this team too.

The brain trust has even brainwashed the fans into think Lars Eller is “great”.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Scratching Nemec and Michkov is crazy... except Sullivan is scratching the Pens worst players with ceilings that may be being as good as Graves and Rakell one day in the far future.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Scratching Nemec and Michkov is crazy... except Sullivan is scratching the Pens worst players with ceilings that may be being as good as Graves and Rakell one day in the far future.

Imagine what it must be like playing under Sullivan as a young player.

No matter what you do you don’t get ice time. If you score a point you can be scratched regardless as Noel Acciari, Kevin Hayes and Lars Eller get played 82 games because of their “pk ability”.

Regardless of your game you are told that you need to be a “two way guy” who can PK because young players don’t play high up in the line-up.

Imagine this mindset with the 15-16 team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Blomquist has looked good enough that I am tempted to see how far he can run with the opportunity. He's been better than Bad Jarry, but for all his faults, Jarry's got some very impressive peaks that I would want to be very sure are gone for good before discarding him in favor of a fresh rookie.
That's fair, and everything is decided on one game where the team was impressively bad.

There's no real push to change things until the rest is known. Team defense and such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad