GDT: Game Four(Giev): COL vs. BOS (7:30PM MT)

New Nickname for Alex? (Thanks to henchman21 for providing!)

• 5G

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • 6eor9e

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • George the VII

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Geor8e

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Unpopular take: I thought Kylington looked worlds better once he was taken off the top pairing. Sammy also looked better when he was put there.

Now, mind you, I don't think he was GOOD, just started skating a lot more, played not-pillow soft, and didn't act like he was afraid of the puck anymore.
Girard was shit. He blew so many rushes and offensive opportunities

Reactions: AvStock

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Girard was shit. He blew so many rushes and offensive opportunities
I'm usually a big Sammy defender on here but I'll admit I wanted to strangle him after passing up that shot. Cale did it later too, that's kinda what happens when a team loses their confidence (cue up the infamous Blake Comeau breakaway pass).

Yeah I don't think he was good, just looked a lot better (at least IMO) after he was moved up to the top pairing and Kylington was moved down. FTR I'm really hard-pressed to think of anyone who was all that good last night.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
IMG_9241.gif

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
He's only the scapegoat of like 2 people lol.

He's been more than fine. One of the few bright spots thus far.

Guy needs to learn how to win a god damn faceoff, though.
I haven't read the whole thread just probably the last two pages. That's probably why I thought he was the scapegoat.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ugh, the one thing I can't stand about Mittelstadt. He's Tyson f***ing Jost when it comes to draws.

That said, last year they went out and got two guys in Colton and Johansen who were actually quite good at faceoffs and still managed to suck donkey balls at securing the puck after the drop. So I guess going with a 1-2 center tandem that has the combined faceoff prowess of Tyson Jost is just the way to go I guess.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
He's only the scapegoat of like 2 people lol.

He's been more than fine. One of the few bright spots thus far.

I am.not making.Mitts a scapegoat but he can be better.

He needs better wingers for sure.

Yeah he is at 41% on faceoffs as is Colton while Mack.is at 50%

I was told faceoffs don't matter anyway though

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
It's only game 4 of 82 the Avs can win the next 7 games and the story changes relax Avs faithful one game at a time it's not a NFL schedule with 16 games go Avs go.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am.not making.Mitts a scapegoat but he can be better.

He needs better wingers for sure.

Yeah he is at 41% on faceoffs as is Colton while Mack.is at 50%

I was told faceoffs don't matter anyway though
I bitch more about faceoffs than anyone on here but even I would not make that particular stat the entire basis of my evaluation of a player.

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ugh, the one thing I can't stand about Mittelstadt. He's Tyson f***ing Jost when it comes to draws.

That said, last year they went out and got two guys in Colton and Johansen who were actually quite good at faceoffs and still managed to suck donkey balls at securing the puck after the drop. So I guess going with a 1-2 center tandem that has the combined faceoff prowess of Tyson Jost is just the way to go I guess.
I thought RyJo was good on the dot, literally the only good thing about him.

There's something about Avs and top 6 centers not being able to win draws. Was Kadri any good? I can't remember. JTC sure sucked, especially for the important faceoffs, he lost them all. Mack is of course really bad too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Should've traded Mikko when he had a full season's worth of value before a disaster season convinces him to walk
Lol. What contender can offer Mikko more money than Colorado?

I'm pretty sure he himself feels they can still win, he knows they have these great players. Easier to build around them than to go to a rebuilding team and start to build around there.

If Nick Kypreos has any clue (and he does have some legit sources), the problem isn't Mikko wanting Draisaitl money. It's that the Avs are not going anywhere near MacKinnon money for him. Which is good, basic negotiating and probably some guys here are saying "good, he doesn't deserve as much!". But the fact is that he would be the highest paid winger in the history of the league if he entered free agency.

It will still end up being 12x8

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lol. What contender can offer Mikko more money than Colorado?

I'm pretty sure he himself feels they can still win, he knows they have these great players. Easier to build around them than to go to a rebuilding team and start to build around there.

If Nick Kypreos has any clue (and he does have some legit sources), the problem isn't Mikko wanting Draisaitl money. It's that the Avs are not going anywhere near MacKinnon money for him. Which is good, basic negotiating and probably some guys here are saying "good, he doesn't deserve as much!". But the fact is that he would be the highest paid winger in the history of the league if he entered free agency.

It will still end up being 12x8
R.e84e6285def1a935e3382215c870cbff

is Colorado is a contender moving forward?

The Kypreos bit is the Avs not wanting to get there, but has nothing on the ask from Rants' camp. The news there is he want a new percentage of cap record. Which with Panarin is over MacK, with Pasta is slightly under.

Reactions: The Merchant

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If Mittlestadt was at 50% face off win instead of his current 41%, he’d have won 1 extra face off per game this season. That’s it.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012

There's something about Avs and top 6 centers not being able to win draws. Was Kadri any good? I can't remember. JTC sure sucked, especially for the important faceoffs, he lost them all. Mack is of course really bad too.
Kadri was very good at faceoffs, it was one of his best features.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
What, that Girard and 8eor8iev suck and need to get shipped out? And that we should have kept Byram? Let’s hear your takes
“MittelJost” makes me think you don’t even watch the games. I’ll gesture to the other posts which elaborate on his contributions which you haven’t responded to. And Byram has been mediocre in Buffalo. If we never made the move you’d be clamoring mindlessly for something else.

We agree on Georgiev.

I’d ship out Girard for the right deal, sure, but what happens to his roster spot? Who takes it? Kylington? De Haan? Do you suppose someone will generously supply an upgrade to Sammy in exchange for him?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Overall they win them, yes, but I swear on key draws (especially on the power play and penalty kill) they had an absurd knack of losing.

JTC was average in most cases but yeah, on key draws he sucked. Kadri was pretty good overall, and I think Landy was too.

I also think there could be a little more puck support after the draw, but Bednar clearly doesn't like getting his players bunched up.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
RyJo seemingly won EVERY faceoff to start a PP. Guy was unreal at them.

Still makes no sense how someone as strong and quick as MacKinnon is so bad at them.
And he spends every offseason with a guy who's absolutely killer at them. Like, how has he not figured it out yet!?

I don't give a damn about overall faceoffs. I care about situational. Defensive zone after an icing, starting a PP, protecting a lead, etc. The Avs are typically worse at those than overall faceoffs.
If I had a nickel for every faceoff won in the defensive zone by the opposition, the goalie--and Grubauer was especially notorious for this--losing track of the puck, and them scoring a quick goal, I'd have...a lot of nickels.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And he spends every offseason with a guy who's absolutely killer at them. Like, how has he not figured it out yet!?

If I had a nickel for every faceoff won in the defensive zone by the opposition, the goalie--and Grubauer was especially notorious for this--losing track of the puck, and them scoring a quick goal, I'd have...a lot of nickels.
If there is one trait I want most of any goalie for the Avs moving forward, it is puck tracking. They seem to target guys who are utterly terrible at it. George, Grubi, Varly, Theo... for the life of them, they can't find guys who can track the puck. This means Silovs is our next goalie.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
“MittelJost” makes me think you don’t even watch the games. I’ll gesture to the other posts which elaborate on his contributions which you haven’t responded to. And Byram has been mediocre in Buffalo. If we never made the move you’d be clamoring mindlessly for something else.

We agree on Georgiev.

I’d ship out Girard for the right deal, sure, but what happens to his roster spot? Who takes it? Kylington? De Haan? Do you suppose someone will generously supply an upgrade to Sammy in exchange for him?
Mittlejost is a funny nickname, he doesn’t suck. I just never wanted to get rid of Byram.

Girard sucks and has shown this in multiple playoffs, replace him with anyone but he ain’t helping anymore

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Mittlejost is kinda funny.

Jost was drafted in the first (10th overall) in 2016.

Newjost (Newhook) was drafted in the first (16th overall) in 2019.

Mittlejost (Mittelstadt) was drafted in the first (8th overall) in 2017. So, he is indeed the middle-Jost, from a certain point of view.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Mittlejost is kinda funny.

Jost was drafted in the first (10th overall) in 2016.

Newjost (Newhook) was drafted in the first (16th overall) in 2019.

Mittlejost (Mittelstadt) was drafted in the first (8th overall) in 2017. So, he is indeed the middle-Jost, from a certain point of view.
As long as we’re not racing to label him similarly disappointing, I’m all in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad