GDT: Game Four(Giev): COL vs. BOS (7:30PM MT)

New Nickname for Alex? (Thanks to henchman21 for providing!)

• 5G

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • 6eor9e

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • George the VII

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Geor8e

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Let’s be honest. We’re not firing Bednar.

Isn’t he in year 1 of a 3 year deal?

And even IF they decided to fire him, I cannot think of a worse time to do it. The new coach ideally creates a spark. Who’s the new coach gonna get a spark out of? Kylington? Steinberg? Kovalenko? Kelly? Ritchie? De Haan?
Mackinnon, Makar and Mikko

Calum Ritchie ties NHL in lead, -7 now.
and Mitts is -6

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think we are looking at this the wrong way . I dont believe it's Georgiev's fault at all , i think we should be looking at the Dman infront of him .

Hear me out : If the guys infront of Georgiev dont give any shots on goal in a game it will reduce greatly the goals that he will let in. Yes my theory is not perfect and even if the teams gives 0 shots on goal , i'm sure Georgiev will find a way to let 2 or 3 goals in anyway , but we have to try something new at this point .
It doesn't really matter if Georgiev is bad or ok right now. Unless he puts up a vezina caliber performance and steals some games, the team will be frustrated on him being played.

The team is obviously on a mental slump right now, and something has to give. Playing your backup (even if he's not any better) is a change (although it is totally normal with 31 other teams in this league).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Mercifully, I had a concert last night and couldn't watch. From what I could tell, the Avs got absolutely no results at even strength, but at least the power play was clicking.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
They should have traded Toews and kept Byram.

*runs away

If we got the 2022 playoffs version of Bo, then an argument could be made, sure.

We still have to wait and see if he'll ever surpass Toews as the better player (highly doubtful) so it was the correct move

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mercifully, I had a concert last night and couldn't watch. From what I could tell, the Avs got absolutely no results at even strength, but at least the power play was clicking.
No one in their right mind could look at the lineup pre-game and thought that they can be an NHL caliber 5v5 team.

Team sucks on paper and on the ice. They can only produce with the raw talent from the top guys on the PP.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He was? When? Toews was re-upped in the offseason

Byram's play with the Avs dipped after that signing
Toews was extended few days after last season started. Byram had 22-23 to take over the #2D spot from Toews. Couldn't do it, and the organization made their decision.

Should they have given it a bit more time, given that Byram had health issues in 22-23 and only played half a season (and who knows how his issues affected him then)? Maybe, but the number for Toews was also going up all the time so they bit the bullet when they had a number he agreed upon.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I don't think Fourgiev was as much of a problem last night as he has been. Kylington looks like he's never played hockey before, de Haan could play every game the rest of the season and be a 0.0% on Puckdoku for the rest of his life, Malinski is Malinski, Girard is back to being a wee guy and Makar looks like someone who knows he's going to be playing 30 minutes a night. The whole team 5 on 5 just looks clueless and I don't see it improving.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
That's our guy. Literally more than double the next guy.
1729173233602.png

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
That's our guy. Literally more than double the next guy.
View attachment 917720
Four games of this is enough to sound the emergency alarm.

Totally indefensible.

The team defense has been bad, too, but you could argue compellingly, as many have, that totally unreliable goaltending is poisonous to the defensive play of the team as a whole.

I can only describe my feeling toward this right now as “bemusement” — and I am starting to think of things I’d rather be doing than watching games for the first time in years

Reactions: missionAvs

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Toews was extended few days after last season started. Byram had 22-23 to take over the #2D spot from Toews. Couldn't do it, and the organization made their decision.

Should they have given it a bit more time, given that Byram had health issues in 22-23 and only played half a season (and who knows how his issues affected him then)? Maybe, but the number for Toews was also going up all the time so they bit the bullet when they had a number he agreed upon.
Here's a couple of aspects why I think Byram was traded and not Toews
1) Byram is younger and fits better to Buffalo future plan
2) Byram is too offensive to have as a #2 when you have Makar as #1
3) Colorado needs stability and not unreliable players. Sounds mean, is harsh, but the fact is that Byram is one hit away from his career being over. Out of these two players, Toews could withstand a similar concussion way better at this point. And hopefully Byram stays healthy.

and Mitts is -6
But as a rookie, you really don't want to be in a position where people are wondering that why does our defense suck and how the goalies aren't getting help and you are #1 in NHL in minuses.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Or we could have kept Toews and Byram, gotten rid of midget Girard and another piece. It’s not like Mittlejost has been a game breaker for us

Reactions: Alienblood

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Mitts is a solid 2C and keeping Byram instead of Toews would have, in no way, moved this needle.

Girard may still need to be ponied up as part of a trade that addresses our biggest problem, and I don’t love that, because whoever steps in will be a downgrade. But we have a bigger problem

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They should have traded Toews and kept Byram.

*runs away
Toews hasn’t been great since the Bo trade… But are we still really pining for a guy who even after his trade to Buffalo still hasn’t shown anything to be more than a 2nd pairing guy?

Having Makar have to babysit Bo on the top pairing would be infinitely more frustrating than watching Toews.

Reactions: The Moops

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
While I will say George played better last night, he still f***ed us with the extreme backbreaker that made it 4-1 like 15 seconds after that made it 3-1.

At 3-1 down you still think you have a chance. But 4-1 after a terrible goal against, it was game over.

Simply put they aren't going to win with this guy. He's extremely good at giving up bad backbreaking goals at the worst possible time. He might make some nice saves throughout, but he is absolute king of the shitty goal at the wrong time. Guys don't have faith in front of him, he's got to go.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I dislike Kelly very much.

Kylington is comic relief at this point. He has a lot more brains and talent than he is showing now but my god please let him eat nachos for a while.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Toews hasn’t been great since the Bo trade… But are we still really pining for a guy who even after his trade to Buffalo still hasn’t shown anything to be more than a 2nd pairing guy?

Having Makar have to babysit Bo on the top pairing would be infinitely more frustrating than watching Toews.
Not to mention the fact that at weren't getting Mitts without Byram. They weren't going to accept Toews. Toews is the wrong age for Buffalo.

I dislike Kelly very much.

Kylington is comic relief at this point. He has a lot more brains and talent than he is showing now but my god please let him eat nachos for a while.
And play who? Don't exactly have tons of options with Toews out.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Probably expecting too much with the injuries right now but man,
While I will say George played better last night, he still f***ed us with the extreme backbreaker that made it 4-1 like 15 seconds after that made it 3-1.

At 3-1 down you still think you have a chance. But 4-1 after a terrible goal against, it was game over.

Simply put they aren't going to win with this guy. He's extremely good at giving up bad backbreaking goals at the worst possible time. He might make some nice saves throughout, but he is absolute king of the shitty goal at the wrong time. Guys don't have faith in front of him, he's got to go.
Imagine a goalie who can steal a game. Or slam the door and fuel the comeback. Remember that?

Reactions: chet1926

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad