Post-Game Talk: GAME 9 - BRUINS 4 Hogtown 3 F/OT

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm not really following.

The Bruins have been chasing the puck and not getting the puck a lot. Getting the puck is far far far far far from Brazeau's strong point. He is not good at being first to pucks and never will be. He is not good at being someone that can transport the puck from the d-zone to the o-zone. He never will be.

But, he is very good at protecting the puck and doing good stuff with it if other people can get the puck.

When the Bruins can't get the puck and transition the puck and need all the help they can get getting the puck and transitioning the puck, 55 is making it worse.

If the Bruins can get the puck and get it into the o-zone, and get control of it in the o-zone, his game in the o-zone below the dots is very good.

Not sure what is reaching about that. All the reasons he wasn't even an afterthought as a potential NHLer are still true. IF the Bruins can put him in a situation to succeed, he very much can succeed. The Bruins of the first 10 games of the season were not doing that.
"55 looks a lot better when the rest of the team plays with pace to cover his weakness."

Doesn't everyone look better when the team plays with pace?

I don't really see it as a weakness, transitioning from D-zone to O-zone. Making smart plays, short passes is as effective as carrying the puck out. Compared to many of the other Bruins forwards, Brazeau is actually better at least getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
"55 looks a lot better when the rest of the team plays with pace to cover his weakness."

Doesn't everyone look better when the team plays with pace?

I don't really see it as a weakness, transitioning from D-zone to O-zone. Making smart plays, short passes is as effective as carrying the puck out. Compared to many of the other Bruins forwards, Brazeau is actually better at least getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

Yeah sure, everyone looks better when everyone is playing hard. Point taken.

I think where I disagree is that short passes is just as effective. Yes the puck can go faster than your feet. But it relies on folks being open. And this teams speed just makes it feel like its Trent Dilfer with slow wide receivers trying to get from point A to point B. Not only is the fourth line able to crash, bang and cycle... but they are able to get the puck from A to B with their feet... and if they can't they have the speed to dump and chase.

And while I try not to get Florida obsessed it's impossible. The Bruins lack of ability to skate through the 1-3-1 means they have to dump and chase. And the lack of speed means they never get there in time... and it all just means the Panthers can play downhill like its third and long and it's Trent Dilfer and a bunch of slow wide outs. Its not an accident that guys like Hall or DeBrusk have been the closest things to standouts against the Panthers in the post season.

Reactions: Lobster57 and BB79

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
And while I try not to get Florida obsessed it's impossible. The Bruins lack of ability to skate through the 1-3-1 means they have to dump and chase. And the lack of speed means they never get there in time... and it all just means the Panthers can play downhill like its third and long and it's Trent Dilfer and a bunch of slow wide outs. Its not an accident that guys like Hall or DeBrusk have been the closest things to standouts against the Panthers in the post season.

I don't believe the Bruins lack the speed to successfully beat a 1-3-1, they usually lack the effort and commitment to retrieve pucks.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Always the same problems that do not solve with Monty. Unable to keep a lead at the end of the game. Unable to start games on time, very little physical, very little shooting at goal, a powerplay ridiculously bad, dizzy line changes, weird decisions

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
And 48. As much as he got crapped on (and some of it deserved) the guy could transition from D to O better than anyone on the Bruins blue and a good number of their forwards too. It's been missed.
I crapped on Gryz as much as anybody for his horrific play in the playoffs, but he was a very good regular season player, and his transition game is something the Bruins really lack this season

Reactions: Dr Hook

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't believe the Bruins lack the speed to successfully beat a 1-3-1, they usually lack the effort and commitment to retrieve pucks.

That happens, yes. You wish they would win more of the 50/50 battles. They also lose 100% of the battles that don't ever happen because they can't get there in time. I think they lose more of the latter than the former.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad