GDT: Game 80 - Winnipeg Jets @ Colorado Avalanche - Saturday, April 13th, 2024 - 3:00pm CDT - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm really having trouble understanding this hatred for Pionk. Several times I've watched games and see him no worse than other D but read afterwards -- on here - how bad he was. Sometimes I've even gone to replaying that 7 mins highlights pkge on sportsnet and checked out which D men screw up when we're scored on and dont see Pionk as worse than other guys. I just don't get it.
He makes a lot of bad decisions with and without the puck in his own end that lead to chances and goals against. The Jets do way better when he's not on the ice.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm really having trouble understanding this hatred for Pionk. Several times I've watched games and see him no worse than other D but read afterwards -- on here - how bad he was. Sometimes I've even gone to replaying that 7 mins highlights pkge on sportsnet and checked out which D men screw up when we're scored on and dont see Pionk as worse than other guys. I just don't get it.
One way to look at it is to compare him to Ehlers. Both are small, high-event players--that is, they are memorable for really good and bad plays. But when you look at the actual results of their play over time (numbers, sorry), Nik comes out better than he looks and Pionk is pretty bad.

As I look at his utilization, it appears the Jets sheltered him a lot in his first couple of years here (more OZ starts), with good results, but then gave him more defensive responsibility, at which he has been inconsistent at best. What people tend to remember is his great series against McDavid in the playoffs and some nice offensive moves/goals, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Will he elevate his game against MacKinnon today the way he did against McDavid? Stay tuned...

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
He makes a lot of bad decisions with and without the puck in his own end that lead to chances and goals against. The Jets do way better when he's not on the ice.
I'm not seeing that. Even when I go back and look at ghe clips of GA us.

I'll try watching more carefully today.

Inanna

Liberal Arts Instructor
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Barrie, ON
Pionk has played some good hockey, for this team....

But for almost a couple of months, now......not.
From our local press:

Here’s what Bowness said about Pionk’s play of late:

“He was better (against the Stars). He struggled a little bit in Nashville. No question,” said Bowness. “But one thing about Neal is he’s a competitive guy and he’s an honest guy. He knows when he doesn’t play well. He’s quick to turn it around and fix what went wrong. He studies video a lot, he works a lot with (Scott Arniel). Again, he’s a competitive guy. Competitive guys are honest with themselves, they know when they have a bad game, a bad shift, or a bad mistake, and they correct it. Give him a lot of credit for that.”

This reminds me of that famous line: "He doesn't show well on a first date, but you'll get to like him if you give him a chance."

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
One way to look at it is to compare him to Ehlers. Both are small, high-event players--that is, they are memorable for really good and bad plays. But when you look at the actual results of their play over time (numbers, sorry), Nik comes out better than he looks and Pionk is pretty bad.

As I look at his utilization, it appears the Jets sheltered him a lot in his first couple of years here (more OZ starts), with good results, but then gave him more defensive responsibility, at which he has been inconsistent at best. What people tend to remember is his great series against McDavid in the playoffs and some nice offensive moves/goals, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Will he elevate his game against MacKinnon today the way he did against McDavid? Stay tuned...
He played well in the playoffs last season.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just hoping for a solid effort where we look capable and focused. The win would be very nice but the how may be more important in the long run. Hopefully the next couple of games can see us work Cole, Nate, maybe Miller and other depth forwards. And of course a game for Nino. Plus get Brossoit his games played in case we pull off the Jennings Trophy!

I have a ticket for the 2nd playoff game in Winnipeg. Praying for the magic of the home win in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks @macmaroon, as always.

Facts:
Southpark is iconic good fun.
We no longer have a "Dogs" team in the NHL, as of later this spring.
The Higgs boson has zero spin, no electric charge, it couples to mass, and
is super unstable. It is one of the heaviest (mass) particles.
Dark matter is implied by gravitational effects which cannot be explained by general relativity unless more matter is present than can be seen.
Humphrey Bogart smoked 40 cigarettes per day.
Neuronal transmission occurs at ~ 400 kph.
The Jets may win their game with the Avs.

Factoids:
The great wall of China is visible from space.
My cat can do calculus, and has delivered lectures on the subject, despite the relatively low volume and mass of her brain.
Searing seals moisture into meat.
Turkey contains more tryptophan than any other food, and makes you drowsy
when it is eaten.
MacKinnon has supernatural skating ability that will utterly destroy the Jets, every time.
Pancho Villa loved apple pie.
Your mouth produces about 1 litre of spit each day, but up to 3 litres when
thinking about a Jet dog with fries and a chocolate milkshake.
The movie "Bladerunner" is an accurate description of world culture post 2075.
Donuts are an excellent source of fibre.
The Avs are deep.

Go Jets!

Post scriptum

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That Avs flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. For that team to be pummelled, to sleep;
To sleep, perchance to place third — aye, there's the rub:
For in that sleep of non-home ice is what dreams may come.

source.gif

The great wall of China is visible from space.
Big deal! So is the logo on my Jets cap. The resolution on those cameras is incredible. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just hoping for a solid effort where we look capable and focused. The win would be very nice but the how may be more important in the long run. Hopefully the next couple of games can see us work Cole, Nate, maybe Miller and other depth forwards. And of course a game for Nino. Plus get Brossoit his games played in case we pull off the Jennings Trophy!

I have a ticket for the 2nd playoff game in Winnipeg. Praying for the magic of the home win in the playoffs.

I would like the win and I would like 2nd place and home ice. But truthfully, what I want now is good solid team play. Spend these last 3 games getting ready for PO. Don't let Avs get in their heads today please.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think a lot will depend on this game. Get a win and then I think they run back the same lineup Tuesday to lock down 2nd. Except for Nino if healthy. Thursday’s game likely depends on if we need the game for playoff position. If not I can see giving a few of the regulars a game off to rest up.

Inanna

Liberal Arts Instructor
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Barrie, ON
Another stupid afternoon game, let’s see sit inside and drink with the HFBoards loonies watching the Jets or go for a bike ride on a nice +18c day!
Fortunately, I don't have a bike!

But I did have to reschedule a few things to make time for the game and it'll be a tight squeeze getting ready for tonight.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, Pionk has that dog in him to shut those guys down

Unfortunately, he also has this dog in him and it's the one he's been showing us lately

1000027127.jpg

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Alex Iafallo playing in NHL game 500 this afternoon

Saturday marks the 13th of 13 afternoon games the Jets have on their schedule this season… Winnipeg is 8-4-0 in afternoon games this
season… The Jets went 4-2-0 in afternoon games last season… The 13 matinees on Winnipeg’s schedule this season is the most in franchise
history… Josh Morrisey has 10 points (0G, 10A) in 12 afternoon games this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad