Post-Game Talk: GAME 8 - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Dallas 5 BRUINS 2

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Carlo looked more aggressive at the front of the net last night, which was nice. The frustrating part is it only happens like 4-5 times a year. Being 6-5 or 6-6 and 220 pounds, you should be able to get leverage and at least box a guy out. I've seen him be that guy, I've also seen him get pushed around by Connor Garland.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Bruins have scored 3 goals in the last 3 games. Tough to expect a goalie to be perfect when the team is giving up so many prime chances. Pastrnak is paid $90 million and he's currently got more minor penalties than goals scored. It took an absolute GIFT for him to score last night. 2G in the last 5 games for our $90 million winger and we're not happy that our $64 million goalie can't pitch 3 straight shutouts for us to get wins :dunno:

Still 25th in GAA and save % is what it is unless there are different rules for sway. If you want to be paid and considered like you're elite you can't hide from stats and blame others. Hitching your wagon to a goalie long term is always risky but they did so accountability is what is expected

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Random observations

1. The guys who are playing the poorest are among their best players -- which is encouraging to me because we know that at some point, they'll figure it out and get back to their level -- hopefully it's soon.

2. Some of the role players have been much, much better than expected. Peake, Kastelic, Koepke, Beecher, most notable.

3. There doesn't seem to be a Bruins of 22/23 or TB of 2019/20 in the east. Nobody is a world beater right now --- so they can still break out of this slump and get into a good position.

4. I'm sure it looks this way for every team who isn't playing well during a given stretch of time -- but they do seem to be on the bad side of lady luck right now. Bounces going the other way, penalties where a guy just steps on one of our players sticks, a shanked shot, hit post, etc. When it rains it pours and the B's are in a hurricane right now. Hopefully some things go their way soon.

5. I'm weirdly not concerned about this team right now. Maybe I've learned from the past two very successful regular season's not to get too high about a team in the RS because aside from making the playoffs, what happens in the RS has little bearing on what happens in April, May and June.

6. I don't know what others think -- but I'm pretty solidly holding on to the belief that, if in the 7 games between now and November 9th --- they don't get at least 9 out of the 14 points, that they may move on from Monty. That's 4-2-1 at the least --- which isn't exactly world beating.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I'm not going to point at particular lines/D-pairs or any particular players, because I believe the problems run deeper than that right now.

The bottom line for me......where is the tight team defensive structure that we've all become accustomed to seeing from this franchise? Since 2007-08, the foundation of this team's success has always been it's defensive structure.

Sweeney and Neely attacked this off-season so the Bruins would once again be a Top 5 defensive team along with an (admittedly) questionable offense.

Instead it's been open season in front of the Bruins goaltenders. Inability to control transition through the neutral zone. Easy zone entries. Running around and losing coverage down low and in front. Going out of their way to make big hits but leaving opposing players open.

Until they fix those issues and get back to being one of the strongest defensive teams in the league, they have no chance of success. Fix that first, and then maybe they can find a way to generate more offense.
Pin on! Well said.

Reactions: BruinDust

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Wotherspoon made a number of terrible passes last night, not how you stay in the lineup

Is that due to inconsistent playing time, perhaps. Or he is what he is, closer to a #7 than a #6. I think what he provides despite being the smallest defenseman is similar enough to a Clifton it should have a fairly regular place in this roster.

On a team lacking energy or physicality mentality currently he is more likely to make a hit that sparks a brawl than most of the other Bruins. That I value.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
......Sweeney and Neely attacked this off-season so the Bruins would once again be a Top 5 defensive team along with an (admittedly) questionable offense.

Instead it's been open season in front of the Bruins goaltenders. Inability to control transition through the neutral zone. Easy zone entries. Running around and losing coverage down low and in front. Going out of their way to make big hits but leaving opposing players open.

Until they fix those issues and get back to being one of the strongest defensive teams in the league, they have no chance of success. Fix that first, and then maybe they can find a way to generate more offense.
We were a Top 5 defensive team last year. 5th in GA if I recall correctly. Our defense wasn't the issue last year, it was goalscoring, especially in the playoffs. THAT'S what Sweeney and Neely should have attacked over the summer. Instead, we are rolling with Geekie, Poitras, Freddy and Koepke as our middle 6 wingers and hoping for the best......because those seem to be our only options......and then we all scratch our heads and blame the coaching because it isn't working. You can point out transition through the neutral zone as a problem (and it is) but that's not just on the dmen. That's on the forwards too.

Our Defense will eventually sort itself out. I'm not worried about that. The offensive end is gonna be an issue until we address the problems we SHOULD have addressed over the summer.....

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Is that due to inconsistent playing time, perhaps. Or he is what he is, closer to a #7 than a #6. I think what he provides despite being the smallest defenseman is similar enough to a Clifton it should have a fairly regular place in this roster.

On a team lacking energy or physicality mentality currently he is more likely to make a hit that sparks a brawl than most of the other Bruins. That I value.
Right now, I really don't give a shit about players making a hit to spark a brawl.

You wanna play tough? Win a puck battle.....Cut out the holding/hooking/slashing/interference calls (I'm talking to you, Zadorov) and skate.....be stronger on your stick........aggressively forecheck......take a hit to make a play.......You know, hockey 101 stuff.

Sparking a brawl when you are down 4-1 is the cowards move. How about doing the hard, little things while the game is still winnable? THAT'S what's lacking right now, and that's what Monty's been saying to this team.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
:crossfing

I am cutting Brad some slack as he had no camp and is catching up.
You don't need training camp to make good decisions. He isn't.

I'll give him a total break on the physical issues because of the surgeries. But the poor decision making has no excuses for a veteran and a captain.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You don't need training camp to make good decisions. He isn't.

I'll give him a total break on the physical issues because of the surgeries. But the poor decision making has no excuses for a veteran and a captain.
He did not play that well second half last year.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Marchy should be a third liner at this point. 37 coming off multiple off season surgeries. He can't be counted on for the offense we've seen historically. Problem is we don't have any other options. It's frustrating that after being outscored 11-3 in that last 3 losses we still won't give Merk and Lysell a chance to try and stimulate some offense. Max Jones is the most useless player I've seen in a while. Baffling that he hasn't been waived yet.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We were a Top 5 defensive team last year. 5th in GA if I recall correctly. Our defense wasn't the issue last year, it was goalscoring, especially in the playoffs. THAT'S what Sweeney and Neely should have attacked over the summer. Instead, we are rolling with Geekie, Poitras, Freddy and Koepke as our middle 6 wingers and hoping for the best......because those seem to be our only options......and then we all scratch our heads and blame the coaching because it isn't working. You can point out transition through the neutral zone as a problem (and it is) but that's not just on the dmen. That's on the forwards too.

Our Defense will eventually sort itself out. I'm not worried about that. The offensive end is gonna be an issue until we address the problems we SHOULD have addressed over the summer.....

Team defense (forwards and D-men) has been a serious issue. Neutral zone, defensive zone, it's been a collective bad effort. The centermen in particular haven't been getting the job done away from the puck and that has typically been a strength of this team.

I see Monty moved Poitras to the wing and Geekie back to the middle today. That's a start.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Carlo looked more aggressive at the front of the net last night, which was nice. The frustrating part is it only happens like 4-5 times a year. Being 6-5 or 6-6 and 220 pounds, you should be able to get leverage and at least box a guy out. I've seen him be that guy, I've also seen him get pushed around by Connor Garland.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sheppy

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Team defense (forwards and D-men) has been a serious issue. Neutral zone, defensive zone, it's been a collective bad effort. The centermen in particular haven't been getting the job done away from the puck and that has typically been a strength of this team.

I see Monty moved Poitras to the wing and Geekie back to the middle today. That's a start.
And next day he will switch it again:sarcasm:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Monty has no answers because there are no answers. There's a lack of high end scoring talent on this team and the Providence skill guys just aren't good enough either. As much as I love Marchand, he's no longer a legit top 6 forward. Zacha and Coyle never have been.

This is the price you pay after years of deadline trades.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Monty has no answers because there are no answers. There's a lack of high end scoring talent on this team and the Providence skill guys just aren't good enough either. As much as I love Marchand, he's no longer a legit top 6 forward. Zacha and Coyle never have been.

This is the price you pay after years of deadline trades.
Yea I agree they are due to regress after a stellar 15 yr + run.That said though how the heck does Monty really know what can work when he switches things in blink of an eye.He will not give it a chance to percolate.Sheer panic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad