Post-Game Talk: GAME 8 - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Dallas 5 BRUINS 2

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I don't understand Monty pulling the goalie early either but he has done this in past seasons - it drives me nuts. It has never worked out, always makes the game unreachable. He also doesn't use his time outs often enough. I also believe his days are numbered at this point.
I agree with you and the others - goalie was pulled way too early. Bruins were actually playing hockey the last half of the 3d period and all of a sudden the goalie is gone. That was dumb. I would have kept the pressure on and tried to get one, then wait until the traditional 1:30 to pull, whether we had picked up one or not.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Folks, I hate to say it, because I wasn’t a Cassidy fan and felt he ran his course here and was largely responsible for not closing it out in 2019 but

I think Monty might be gone this year, and after that, then what? There’s something wrong beyond just coaching.

I know we’re at what, game 8? 9? But, the warning signs are all there
That's the most alarming thing to me, the core guys you gave big money too are very very complacent.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
A question I think that needs to be asked is how big of a role did the Swayman contract issues play in this teams preseason preparation's?
We know what will be said publicly, how ever it can not be denied it was a distraction.

What we do know is this team and a lot of there key players have not played well to start the season.
He looked pretty prepared and I think that is the one problem that's a nothing issue.

If the Bruins gave him more it would be too much to live up to. He wasn't taking less. He also wasn't lying about setting the market. Wed be screwed without him.

This isn't a bad team and it's a few games in October. I just want one entitled vet moved. It's the one thing this establishment literally has never done even a guy like JDB ran down his contract vs got moved in a hockey trade Sweeney is too p***y to trade any of the vets.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They aren't smart with the puck. Throwing it in front of their own net with blind/panic passing. Wingers hanging out in the neutral zone waiting for a pass or a clear. There was a play there where McAvoy gets the puck in our end and then dumps it into the other corner to his defense partner that doesn't even have a stick. Zero awareness and communication.

Dallas made a lot of their plays look so easy with accurate passing and positioning.

Monty can yell at the players all he wants but at some point someone has to yell at him and our coaching staff because whatever this PK and PP strategy is, it ain't working.
The sabres had an easy time with Dallas 2 nights earlier.

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
McAvoy? One of the problems with our thinking that we have a great D is that we assume that McAvoy is a #1D and the McAvoy of two years ago. Right now he’s not. Hasn’t been since last year’s playoffs. Right now he looks atrocious. He’s not carrying us anywhere at the moment except the basement.

I'd argue he absolutely is a premier #1 defenseman, just as Pastrnak is a premier top 5 winger.

The issue is the roster decreases in talent year over year and these two along with Marchand believe they have to be the offense, the defense, the physicality, the leadership, the Bergeron.

It's a lot to expect even at their salaries.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
play Zacha-Poitras-Pastrnak as 1st line right fking now. Should´ve taken Necas instead of that bum Lindholm.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed however Poitras skating is a liability. Smart skilled player but skating could hold him back from being that special player. Maybe he should be playing in Providence? He hasn't looked good.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How far can Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman carry you?

There’s enough talent there to make the argument that they won’t completely bottom out.

Then you have other pieces locked up, not necessarily core pieces, but players you’re married to in both Lindholms.

So if things stay on this course, I guess the first step is to change coaches. However, the bigger issue may be that the supporting cast simply isn’t good enough and that includes guys like Marchand, Coyly, Carlo, and Zadorov who eat up a significant amount of cap space.
Pasta a penalty machine and McAvoy has been horrible. In fact, please take him off the f g PP. Go with 5 forwards or Lindholm.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I truly hate to say this, and it’s more gut feel than data at this point because normally I’d be on the ride out the early season jitters side, but I think we are looking at the arrival of the true post Bergeron era, and are in for some very, very tough years

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
This too. This isn't a new problem either. I've watched hockey a long time but i can't even remember the Bruins letting a team get under their skin as much as Florida does. Those battles with Montreal back in the 10s were nasty but they could dish it almost as well as they could take it. Not the case here.

They straight up turn into rabid chimps when they play the Panthers. No serious team does that. Hell the Oilers went 7 with them in the cup final and actually managed to stave off most of the typical Panthers mind games/BS.

It's all Swayman's fault!
Swayman, Kastelik, and Potras are the only bright spots on this team. We could have signed Mike Hoffman for league minimum to give us exactly what Pasta is giving us! Don't even get started on the so called defence of coaching!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He's been a good regular season coach and avoided a loss to the Leafs. I'd much rather send an entitled lazy vet like Coyle or Carlo packing and actually send a message.
Send a message? Yeah ok pal. Lets trash 2 veterans who have played important roles the last 5-6 years. People need to either quit passing their pants\depends or give a veteran group more than 8 freaking games.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is probably what I would do first.

Hell I don't think you'd even need to trade somebody. Coyle wants to keep f***ing around? Welcome to the press box, bucko. Here comes Lysell for a look in the top 6 while you sit for a bit and think about how ass you are.

That goes for guys like Marchand too. I don't care how hurt your feelings might be because Monty chewed into you on the bench. You are the captain. They way you played last night was disgraceful and unbecoming of a guy wearing the C.

As I said, I COULD see Monty being the issue, but I would prefer to at least try a couple things first before I fully get on board with firing him.

Like I said, I'm not super against him like some are. I was just saying he's the easiest change they could make with how the roster is built for better or for worse.
I saw zero issue with #13 game last night, none. Same can't e said for #63\#88 last night.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think it’s fixable. Biggest issue is the top players came into the season out of shape - either physically or mentally or both. And now it’s snowballing. They’re sped up when they should be slowed down, slowed down when they should be going hard. It’s a mess.

I think going after any of the complementary players isn’t worth it until we see 63/88/73/27/25/13 get their heads out of their asses.
I was a huge Gryz critic/jokester but they miss his outlet passes for sure.

Reactions: Gordoff

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
It's all Swayman's fault!
I know your joking but out of the worst GA this year Swayman has the best save % from the second most shots against. He is not the problem.
1729858372351.png

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Can anyone explain what type of offensive strategy the bruins are employing? They have almost no zone time beyond their zone entry and for 2+ periods last night every time they entered the zone they immediately lost the puck. It’s like they’ve never played together, it’s shocking to see how inept they’ve become.
[MEDIA=youtube

Reactions: Score08 and KWbruin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
How far can Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman carry you?

There’s enough talent there to make the argument that they won’t completely bottom out.

Then you have other pieces locked up, not necessarily core pieces, but players you’re married to in both Lindholms.

So if things stay on this course, I guess the first step is to change coaches. However, the bigger issue may be that the supporting cast simply isn’t good enough and that includes guys like Marchand, Coyly, Carlo, and Zadorov who eat up a significant amount of cap space.
Toronto and Tampa Bay have issues also. Toronto outscored like 11-3 against freaking Columbus and STL. TB is outscoring their issues but Vasi is not the same before his back issue. People need to get a grip and stop talking about firing Montgomery or trading Coyle or Carlo after 8 games.If they are like this 25 games in you have a legit argument.

Reactions: BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Toronto and Tampa Bay have issues also. Toronto outscored like 11-3 against freaking Columbus and STL. TB is outscoring their issues but Vasi is not the same before his back issue. People need to get a grip and stop talking about firing Montgomery or trading Coyle or Carlo after 8 games.If they are like this 25 games in you have a legit argument.
Could it be that Toronto, Tampa, and Boston all have issues that need to be addressed?

Tampa is a team in transition.
Toronto fired the coach after a fist round playoff loss.

Yes, it’s early in the season, but the fact that other teams are struggling does not change what the eyeball test currently shows for the Bruins.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Could it be that Toronto, Tampa, and Boston all have issues that need to be addressed?

Tampa is a team in transition.
Toronto fired the coach after a fist round playoff loss.

Yes, it’s early in the season, but the fact that other teams are struggling does not change what the eyeball test currently shows for the Bruins.
Yeah, like the kid who got a D- on his test but told his parents "nobody did well on the test, only a few kids passed."
Parents always say "I don't care about how the other students did, I care how YOU did."
That's what I used to tell my daughter.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I have a slightly different "Hot" take on Marchand's comments about the Montgomery pushing situation.
Of course it's speculation...

He has learned the art of diplomacy (probably from watching Bergeron) when publicly speaking.
He knows not to bite the hand that feeds him.
He said all the right things to try and repair any damage, set an example, and build team moral.

All the while inside he's pissed about the situation, pissed at himself because he's not playing to his own standards, and is frustrated that the team as a whole is playing so poorly.
He is a competitor driven to win.
Hence his words about respect and leading by example.

People can say what they want about his play and age.
Marchand may be far from perfect, he makes mistakes and sometimes takes dumb penalties.
But he shows up to play each game with intensity, passion and determination.
He'll walk on the knife edge of breaking rules to do whatever it takes to win.
He'll play when he is hurting.
I wish the rest of the team played with at least half of his pride.

As someone once said, "too many passengers."
Well said. If I had to follow, I will follow players that act not only speak.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'd argue he absolutely is a premier #1 defenseman, just as Pastrnak is a premier top 5 winger.

The issue is the roster decreases in talent year over year and these two along with Marchand believe they have to be the offense, the defense, the physicality, the leadership, the Bergeron.

It's a lot to expect even at their salaries.
Too 5 offensive winger, yeah. Top 5 Winger arguably not. I would slot Kucherov, Panarin, Tkachuk, Nylander, Reinhart, Forsberg and Rantanen better than him. The way #88 is playing right now Marner also. Getting closer to more like top 10 Winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad