Post-Game Talk: GAME 8 - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Dallas 5 BRUINS 2

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I really don't understand this trend of pulling the goalie with so much time left on the clock.
Still had three minutes left tonight, should have waited until the last minute.
Seems like a freebie for the other team.
Pulling the goalie with so much time left (two consecutive games) is a desperation move.

Boston was pressing Dallas, should have given them two more minutes to try and come within one before pulling Swayman.
But no, let's throw a hail Mary with three minutes left on the clock.
I just don't get it.
It reeks of desperation
Or
A coach who has lost confidence in his team.
I don't understand Monty pulling the goalie early either but he has done this in past seasons - it drives me nuts. It has never worked out, always makes the game unreachable. He also doesn't use his time outs often enough. I also believe his days are numbered at this point.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
The same McAvoy who was an absolute no show all last post season? The same McAvoy who has yet to show up this year? He has become a bum
McAvoy has to learn to simplify his game and play to his skill set.
At present he is trying to be everything and as a result of this he is out of position a lot and making a lot of bad decisions , it shows in his play

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
How far can Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman carry you?

There’s enough talent there to make the argument that they won’t completely bottom out.

Then you have other pieces locked up, not necessarily core pieces, but players you’re married to in both Lindholms.

So if things stay on this course, I guess the first step is to change coaches. However, the bigger issue may be that the supporting cast simply isn’t good enough and that includes guys like Marchand, Coyly, Carlo, and Zadorov who eat up a significant amount of cap space.
A question I think that needs to be asked is how big of a role did the Swayman contract issues play in this teams preseason preparation's?
We know what will be said publicly, how ever it can not be denied it was a distraction.

What we do know is this team and a lot of there key players have not played well to start the season.

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I get the "you wanted bigger" thing but in reality the only big guys with a role are Zadorov and Kastelic,

You have to wonder when Sweeney pulls the plug on the coach if this keeps going? The clock officially starts on Teflon Don then IMO as he will be on his 4th coach.

I see a very lackluster east though and a three game winning streak puts you at the top so who knows. They should probably set lines and pairs and let them go a half dozen games because the juggling is making them look worse IMO

There’s enough talent there to make the argument that they won’t completely bottom out.

Then you have other pieces locked up, not necessarily core pieces, but players you’re married to in both Lindholms.

So if things stay on this course, I guess the first step is to change coaches. However, the bigger issue may be that the supporting cast simply isn’t good enough and that includes guys like Marchand, Coyly, Carlo, and Zadorov who eat up a significant amount of cap space.
McAvoy is hot garbage right now. He hasn't been the same player once the ink dried on the extension for whatever reason.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
That second period was one of the worst periods of hockey I've seen the Bruins play in some time.

The most insulting part of all of this is that nobody seems to care. Break a stick, throw a glove, yell at a teammate, do anything to show a slight bit of passion. We were spoiled going from Chara to Bergy but, on the ice, there seems to be zero leadership from this group.

They are a rudderless ship with zero identity. This is a Bruins team without an identity. A big loss to the Leafs and I want to see changes - and I'm completely open to scratching guys from the top six.

Losing sucks but it's not the end of the world. Losing when it's up in the air as to whether you even care shouldn't be accepted in this franchise.
Well the previous two games were two of the worst games I’ve ever seen them play. As I said in an earlier post in the thread, I thought they played well in the first half or first two thirds of the first period (while still giving-up too many chances), until the keystone cops version of the Bruins showed-up and they shot themselves in the foot.

The second period was more reminiscent of the previous two games, but the 3rd was better. So they looked like a hockey team for maybe one half to two thirds of the game. So that was an improvement at least. At least we know that they can look like an actual NHL team. More than they did in the previous two games. They can build on that. They’d better.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think it’s fixable. The biggest issue is this teams lack of discipline. Three power play goals in the 2nd period. This is at least twice now we’ve had three power play goals against in a game.

Far too many mental errors, but fixable.
I think it’s fixable. Biggest issue is the top players came into the season out of shape - either physically or mentally or both. And now it’s snowballing. They’re sped up when they should be slowed down, slowed down when they should be going hard. It’s a mess.

I think going after any of the complementary players isn’t worth it until we see 63/88/73/27/25/13 get their heads out of their asses.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

McAvoy? One of the problems with our thinking that we have a great D is that we assume that McAvoy is a #1D and the McAvoy of two years ago. Right now he’s not. Hasn’t been since last year’s playoffs. Right now he looks atrocious. He’s not carrying us anywhere at the moment except the basement.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
They aren't smart with the puck. Throwing it in front of their own net with blind/panic passing. Wingers hanging out in the neutral zone waiting for a pass or a clear. There was a play there where McAvoy gets the puck in our end and then dumps it into the other corner to his defense partner that doesn't even have a stick. Zero awareness and communication.

Dallas made a lot of their plays look so easy with accurate passing and positioning.

Monty can yell at the players all he wants but at some point someone has to yell at him and our coaching staff because whatever this PK and PP strategy is, it ain't working.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Folks, I hate to say it, because I wasn’t a Cassidy fan and felt he ran his course here and was largely responsible for not closing it out in 2019 but

I think Monty might be gone this year, and after that, then what? There’s something wrong beyond just coaching.

I know we’re at what, game 8? 9? But, the warning signs are all there

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It's a powerplay league. They take too many penalties and lose the special teams battle. Same story when they play Florida.

Fix the PP and take less penalties, this team wins a lot more games. Fixing the PP has been a top issue for a while but doesnt seem to happen
Monty does not make changes, runs the same unit out there, he needs to change things up. I would like to see 2 D at the point, it may help prevent a few less SH breakaways.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
The Mac and Sway contracts don’t look poised to age very well. Too many eggs placed in the wrong basket. It’s nice to get a few goals once in a while.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
McAvoy? One of the problems with our thinking that we have a great D is that we assume that McAvoy is a #1D and the McAvoy of two years ago. Right now he’s not. Hasn’t been since last year’s playoffs. Right now he looks atrocious. He’s not carrying us anywhere at the moment except the basement.
I don’t disagree. I’m saying this is the general argument. You have three franchise pillars to build around and they’re supposed to carry you.

Did they invest in the right guys?

And how is the supporting staff?

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins had 5 penalties

2 by Pastrnak
2 by Marchand

They had 3 penalties in first 10 minutes of second period (2 on Pastrnak both bad penalties)

Dallas scores on all 3

Basically hockey old guys - Benn, Seguin, Duschene

It’s a big time downer and I wouldn’t be surprised it’s rarely happened the Bruins gave up three 5 on 4 PP in less than 19 minutes

Marchand penalties were reckless with the stick

Hopefully Lohrei gets it figured out - I’m more concerned with him being all over the place than the team

Coyle line skated as well as I’ve seen in awhile - clearly they aren’t done

Discipline & to many weddings, trips, kids - all the wonderful parts of life happening to many of these guys and they seem to not ‘started early’ to the season

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Before the game I said-

"Dallas has the best PK in the league and both team's have terrible PPs so I'm guessing this one will be won even strength with good goaltending"

Nailed it :laugh: but seriously I can't believe they gave up 3 PP goals in 8 and a half minutes of play. Terrible. Dumb penalties and weak PK unit
Hampus Lindholm was terrible last night. Two games in a row where Bruins have fallen down with no one within a foot of them (Pastrnak breakaway). Some really strange strange occurrences happening. Hell, Carlo managed to not fall down with nobody near him at all last night...lol.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Also

Monty needs to harp on the stick infractions

Basically 3 guys
Zadarov
Pastrnak
Marchand

No penalties for Z last night the other 2 ugh

Toronto are like vampires to blood when it comes to PP

I’m encouraged they eventually get it - but need to do it soon

Love Marchand and I believe he finds his game - the speed is there

But whereas Bergeron was smart and disciplined, Marchy has been reckless

When your leader is getting bad penalties and making high risk danger plays he can’t really be telling others anything more than ‘do as I say and not as I do’

Pasta also

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Can anyone explain what type of offensive strategy the bruins are employing? They have almost no zone time beyond their zone entry and for 2+ periods last night every time they entered the zone they immediately lost the puck. It’s like they’ve never played together, it’s shocking to see how inept they’ve become.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Maybe being on Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday wakes them up
Why? They have relatively few Canadians? League is about 50% Canadian and Boston has just 63, 51, 39, 55 and 47.

Their issue is almost all the returning players have been horrible, bad or mediocre. None of them have been good

October 28, 2016
3-4-0​
They qualified for PO but Julien got fired in February.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think it’s fixable. Biggest issue is the top players came into the season out of shape - either physically or mentally or both. And now it’s snowballing. They’re sped up when they should be slowed down, slowed down when they should be going hard. It’s a mess.

I think going after any of the complementary players isn’t worth it until we see 63/88/73/27/25/13 get their heads out of their asses.

I agree with this - it was quite obvious by the end of camp and has only been confirmed since - but the question is why? Inexcusable for modern, highly paid and trained athletes to come back to work out of shape. Marchand has a clear pass due to surgery, the rest do not, and it applies to every single one of the other senior guys with the possible exception of Hampus. It isn't the first time Pasta in particular has returned from a break in poor condition either.

I suppose we won't get an answer and what's done is done. The problem now as you allude to is the issue compounds and it's very hard to play catch up in a tough and competitive league. There is a path forwards but we haven't seen anything more than baby steps towards it yet, and little evidence that Monty can lead them down the right road. Which is not so much to blame the coach for where things are at as to wonder whether he has the right abilities to fix them.

It's still early, granted, but the warning signs are clear and the going is harder than it has been for a long time in Boston. Do these guys really want to knuckle down and grind their way out? How much are they willing to give? We will find out.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I get the "you wanted bigger" thing but in reality the only big guys with a role are Zadorov and Kastelic,

You have to wonder when Sweeney pulls the plug on the coach if this keeps going? The clock officially starts on Teflon Don then IMO as he will be on his 4th coach.

I see a very lackluster east though and a three game winning streak puts you at the top so who knows. They should probably set lines and pairs and let them go a half dozen games because the juggling is making them look worse IMO

McAvoy is hot garbage right now. He hasn't been the same player once the ink dried on the extension for whatever reason.
I agree he has been garbage as of late but imo it coincides with Monty becoming his coach over signing the extension. He has no confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad