GDT: Game 8: Sharks @ Kings 7:30pm NBCSCA

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Good effort after a terrible 1st period...talent gap is just too big (was already big but even bigger without Celebrini and Smith). Onto the next one....

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Serious question, should the Sharks trade Granlund? He might be of more value to a playoff team than us.
Yes, but only because they're gonna lose him for nothing if they don't. No sane veteran with options would want to continue playing with this mess and the future #1 and #2 centers are on the roster already. Does he want to come back to be a future #3 center for an awful team?

They'll take the best deal they can at the deadline. Hopefully they can bring back a defenseman that is ready to play at the NHL level, but maybe that a playoff team isn't ready to trust in a playoff run.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks have plenty of secondary scoring. They are just missing primary scoring...
Someone please ask Orr what he could possibly mean by this. Outside of the main five forwards that this team was considering their primary scorers, the Sharks have three goals in eight games. That is absolutely not plenty of secondary scoring.

Reactions: vortexy

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Yes, but only because they're gonna lose him for nothing if they don't. No sane veteran with options would want to continue playing with this mess and the future #1 and #2 centers are on the roster already. Does he want to come back to be a future #3 center for an awful team?

They'll take the best deal they can at the deadline. Hopefully they can bring back a defenseman that is ready to play at the NHL level, but maybe that a playoff team isn't ready to trust in a playoff run.
I’m sure he will get traded and if he continues to perform the way that he is he should be able to to fetch a decent return, only problem the sharks can’t retain salary so that hurts values.

I’m actually under the impression he wants to stay though he’s mentioned it in interviews. I think he’s pretty critical as a mentor for both smith and Mack . So maybe he gets dealt and comes back as a UFA

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Someone please ask Orr what he could possibly mean by this. Outside of the main five forwards that this team was considering their primary scorers, the Sharks have three goals in eight games. That is absolutely not plenty of secondary scoring.
Secondary in the traditional sense as in when Mack comes back everyone falls back down in the lineup to where they should be instead of playing up in the line up. Kind of like Ferraro getting anywhere near top 2 minutes he should be a 4/5 but he’s not and he’s getting killed because of it

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Even when Celebrini comes back, it will be like getting a #2 center back. Still secondary in that sense...

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I’m sure he will get traded and if he continues to perform the way that he is he should be able to to fetch a decent return, only problem the sharks can’t retain salary so that hurts values.

I’m actually under the impression he wants to stay though he’s mentioned it in interviews. I think he’s pretty critical as a mentor for both smith and Mack . So maybe he gets dealt and comes back as a UFA
I still maintain that they will likely sign him for a 4 year deal to bridge us to the kids taking over. Rationale: He's a good mentor, you can't take the chance of renting him out and hoping to re-sign him.

We see how thin we are with him in the lineup. Imagine if we didn't have Granlund. Sets us up for an endless rebuild like Buffalo. Sure, we might be able to get a 2nd or even first for him at the deadline, but we are so bad and it takes so long to rebuild that we probably shouldn't kick the can once more down the road. We gotta hit on these top picks.

Of course, maybe Celebrini and Smith both take huge steps by the TDL and the kid wingers look good in the AHL and we see him as superfluous, but my guess is Grier and Co re-sign him and get rid of some of the bottom 6 passengers in the off-season or at TDL... As we have all identified, the main problem on this team is that our top D pair should be a middle pair and the other two pairs should be bottom pairs or in the press box. Rutta and Ferraro in particular have been an atrocious pairing. We need to draft, develop, trade or sign a top RD or we need Thompson to keep taking a huge step.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Secondary in the traditional sense as in when Mack comes back everyone falls back down in the lineup to where they should be instead of playing up in the line up. Kind of like Ferraro getting anywhere near top 2 minutes he should be a 4/5 but he’s not and he’s getting killed because of it
That still means that the supposed secondary scoring is doing all the scoring for this team. That by definition makes them the primary scorers when they do all the scoring outside of three goals.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
That still means that the supposed secondary scoring is doing all the scoring for this team. That by definition makes them the primary scorers when they do all the scoring outside of three goals.
They are playing above their pay grade

Are these secondary scorers in the room with us now?
Show me on the doll where the secondary scorers touched you

• Haha
Reactions: TheBeard

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They are playing above their pay grade

Show me on the doll where the secondary scorers touched you
Maybe but they still are our primary scorers playing primary scoring roles and producing. It's everyone beyond that that isn't producing anything and are only useful in that there are a few that take PK shifts. Otherwise, we have no secondary scoring going on so we don't have plenty of secondary scoring.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I still maintain that they will likely sign him for a 4 year deal to bridge us to the kids taking over. Rationale: He's a good mentor, you can't take the chance of renting him out and hoping to re-sign him.

We see how thin we are with him in the lineup. Imagine if we didn't have Granlund. Sets us up for an endless rebuild like Buffalo. Sure, we might be able to get a 2nd or even first for him at the deadline, but we are so bad and it takes so long to rebuild that we probably shouldn't kick the can once more down the road. We gotta hit on these top picks.

Of course, maybe Celebrini and Smith both take huge steps by the TDL and the kid wingers look good in the AHL and we see him as superfluous, but my guess is Grier and Co re-sign him and get rid of some of the bottom 6 passengers in the off-season or at TDL... As we have all identified, the main problem on this team is that our top D pair should be a middle pair and the other two pairs should be bottom pairs or in the press box. Rutta and Ferraro in particular have been an atrocious pairing. We need to draft, develop, trade or sign a top RD or we need Thompson to keep taking a huge step.
Yeah I’d love to see a situation where he sticks around until smith and Mack take over as #1 and #2 centers and granny drops down to the 3c and Wennberg to 4c

The hate towards Ferraro is way overblown, look at who he’s paired with and they are facing teams top lines. Ferraro should at most be 4/5 and he will excel asking for and expected away to much if Ferraro he can’t carry Rutta prime Lidstrom couldn’t carry rutta

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Until(Unless) Smith and Celebrini figure it out and get healthy, we are not going to have any real scoring beyond Granlund, Toffoli, Eklund and maybe Zetterlund. The rest of the forwards haven't been any kind of reliable point producers and its not realistic to expect them to suddenly do that here. Need different players, whether its from the Barracuda or outside the org. Or of course the aformentioned top 2 prospects start contributing on ice. We are not going to coach or motivate Kunin, Dellandrea, Wennberg, Goodrow, Sturm, Grundstrom, Kostin, etc into something they are not.

Only realistic thing to do is to just ride it out and hope Smith/Celebrini can make more of an impact later in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad