GDT: GAME #8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Unlikely, kassian is a terrible fighter.

He's had more career fights than Jake who seems to be nursing at least some sort of shoulder injury or aggravation of the shoulder that previously had surgery. Hence the "second shoulder surgery comment".

The last thing Jake should be doing right now is fighting, much less fighting Kassian.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Yea Sbisa is a black hole of bad play I dont see us winning with the coaching staff playing him over tryamkin, we wouldn't neccesairly be winning more or have better posession but in 20 games we probably have ab etter cahnce of doing so.

Weren't you literally saying how great Sbisa was the other day? Like, 100% Benning did right or something?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Try like 2006 on...

They went to the cup in 2006 and then tanked immediately after?

That's an ... interesting ... perception of events.

Edit: Also your math = Still really bad.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You can only hope huh?

What exactly is the point of this comment?

Given Virtanen's injury history and how his last NHL fight went, do you want him fighting an NHL heavyweight like Zack Kassian?

Nobody is 'hoping' anything. But Virtanen getting in fights right now would be idiotic.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It's almost like they overhauled almost every aspect of the organization to deal with exactly that, and had the help of a generational talent to stimulate UFA interest on top of it.

They overhauled the entire organization in the last 5 months?

I mean ya Lucic, big trade with Hall for Larsson, couple other things. But I kept hearing last year how the Oilers "losing culture" was so permanent that we wouldn't want to tank the last 20 games for fear of catching it. Now your telling me it can be cured by a UFA signing and one or two trades? That doesn't really seem too bad :dunno:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure Gudbranson would beat down any of those 4. Maybe not Looch

1) Fighting does nothing to deter cheapshots or big hits.

2) Gudbranson rarely fights, and is even more unlikely to fight now that he's had 2 concussions with PCS in the last year.

3) We've had several cheapshots against us already this year (Horvat crosscheck, Virtanen blindside hit, Markstrom run over) and Gudbranson has neither deterred those from happening nor fought the culprits afterward.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
McDavid gets a hat trick, Sedins get punched by Lucic and Edler and Sbisa scores a own goal into our net, 5-1 Oilers. Willie blames the loss on the team being tired despite only 6 games into the season.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Larsson isn't Karlsson (still think their blueline + goaltending is pretty sad).

Have you even watched Larsson at all this season? He's better than any D on this team not named Tanev, and I'd even make a case there due to his physicality.

This will definitely be a blow out, but I'm just hoping the Nuck's don't get bullied. Lucic has been a monster recently, Maroon is out there gooning it up, and Kassian knows how to fight/play dirty too.

This is a game where the real Virtanen needs to come out, Tryamkin needs to play, and where the hell is LaBate when you need him?

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Tanev himself doesn't make our blueline solid.

There is also Gudbranson on our team (making up that physicality descrepancy).

I love Gudbranson. I've stated it many times that just his presence alone in locker rooms will change the mentality of this team for years to come. You're incredibly lucky to have him.

That said, Larsson has been incredible. I watch every single Oilers game and he's so smart with the puck, his stick is always in the right place, has hands, and I never knew he was a physical demon as well. Pains me to admit he's better than Guds :(

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
We're all fans of the same team. I don't care who you think deserves what; if you're going to sneer at segments of the fanbase for "getting what they deserve," it'll be treated as flaming/trolling. It doesn't accomplish anything except stir up more toxic discourse. I don't want to see that crap in this GDT again, thanks.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I love Gudbranson. I've stated it many times that just his presence alone in locker rooms will change the mentality of this team for years to come. You're incredibly lucky to have him.

That said, Larsson has been incredible. I watch every single Oilers game and he's so smart with the puck, his stick is always in the right place, has hands, and I never knew he was a physical demon as well. Pains me to admit he's better than Guds :(

I do not believe anyone would have argued otherwise. But Guds did not cost us a top 5 LW in the game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Timing is everything in hockey....if things had worked out a little differently we could have Todd McClellan as the Canucks head coach instead of Willie...painful to contemplate.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Where does this idea that Gudbranson is some heavy weight fighter come from? If you look at his fight card he doesn't even fight that much anymore and he has mostly losses against the actual fighters that are near his size. He's closer to Willie Mitchell, which is completely fine, but he isn't some massive physical deterrent.

I'm not even anti-Gudbranson, I actually quite like the player I just think we paid too much for him and the upcoming contract extension will likely be too much. The trade for him isn't even top-10 in the worst Benning moves. With that said I think he could maybe give Kassian and Maroon a decent fight but would lose against Lucic or Nurse (who is a physical beast btw). But considering his concussion history he really shouldn't be fighting any of them.

That is one of the problems with this team. Our two biggest "physical deterrences" have a history of concussions and a bum shoulder and we paid a big price for both of them.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Timing is everything in hockey....if things had worked out a little differently we could have Todd McClellan as the Canucks head coach instead of Willie...painful to contemplate.

Yep.
And if we never re signed the Sedins or got Miller we could be watching McDavid or Matthews or both taking the pre game skate in canuck colours :popcorn:
We are just going to have to ride out these next 2 seasons and see where we land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad