Half-Assed GDT: Game 8 Blues @ Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm going to cancel my monthly Bally Sports MW subscription.

This team is only worth listening to for free on the radio.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Living in the upper middle of the pack for 25 years got us only 1 Stanley Cup winner, and we were lucky to get that. And the only way we DID get it was to mortgage off the future, so that the decline came VERY soon after. We'll have to hit rock bottom to get that big difference-maker that can produce his own offence alone, or that generational defenceman, and to fill in the holes around him with enough talent to beat the other top teams regularly.

We'll need 3 excellent drafts in a row, a good coaching and player development system, and great cap management. And a locker-room culture and coaching-management/player relations that will keep the good players from wanting to leave,a winning culture that will attract the better free agents that would ordinarily want to avoid "being stuck" in Midwestern small and medium-sized markets. It'll take a lot of luck, and choosing the right management people. But, if cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit can do it, St. Louis should, at least have a shot at it.

Ultimately I think this is the biggest fantasy of the things you listed. I'm sure you remember the early 10s when we were just about to start competing but were relegated to the scraps of Free Agency every year. It takes players a couple of years to catch up on the trajectory of teams, and we're about to be in 15 team no trade territory. Thankfully there's Canada to take up 8 slots on most players' lists.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I know it is a minor issue, compared with our other problems this season, but can we PLEASE get Tucker off his "off" side? Talk about setting a guy up to fail.
the brutal misplay that led to the goal came while he was over on his theoretically better left side
he turns like a 52' semi trying to back into a tight loading dock, but at least his straight line speed sucks

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
I didn't watch the game but how did Kyrou/Thomas and some of the other younger guys look?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
the brutal misplay that led to the goal came while he was over on his theoretically better left side
he turns like a 52' semi trying to back into a tight loading dock, but at least his straight line speed sucks

Not to pile on too much, but he also reacts as opposed to anticipates often. His poor speed just compounds that as he is already behind the play. This happens most often on quick change of possession. He skates toward the puck. Instead he should realize he isn't getting it and put himself into a better position to defend the play going the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Had to watch the crap-a-lanch-self-congratulations feed since HBO/MAX doesn't do TNT games on demand, only highlights. Should've just watched the highlights. After muting the lanches feed the game was only mildly painful to take in.

What 2, or 3 more seasons of this? I can deal with it if I want to watch this team. I'm beginning to see why some of you are happy to do other things right now.

Reactions: BlueOil

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I didn't watch the game but how did Kyrou/Thomas and some of the other younger guys look?
Thomas had a real Nice goal. good placement of a nice shot.

Kyrou had his moments. He had a couple good defensive and offensive plays, but had a couple stinkers (Like trying to swipe at a puck in the feet of a Avs player while falling which resulted in a Avs PP, and Avs PP goal) He also didn't get back urgently enough on the last goal. But, all three of the forwards looked stupid on that play. Schenn Blind pass from the corner directly to McKinnon, Saad went.... somewhere and then coasts back in behind Byram (who scores), and Kyrou had a overly relaxed backcheck. That last goal I put further onto Schenn and Saad than Kyrou tho.

I think Neighbours is starting to play better. He had a couple good plays.

Tucker got out matched and out played terribly.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Not to pile on too much, but he also reacts as opposed to anticipates often. His poor speed just compounds that as he is already behind the play. This happens most often on quick change of possession. He skates toward the puck. Instead he should realize he isn't getting it and put himself into a better position to defend the play going the other way.
he is a cool story, but unless he can improve skating by a lot more than he already has, he is just an AHL guy and not even emergency call up level

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Good thing we won those meaningless games at the end of last year.

Carlsson or Fantili (face it, we know Chicago was destined to get Bedard) would be pretty nice to have
We finished 22 points ahead of the team that drafted Fantilli and 23 points ahead of the team that drafted Carlsson. Also 22 points ahead of the Hawks who won the lottery to move up to #1.

We went 10-8-2 in our final 20 games. If you turn all 10 of those wins into regulation losses, we'd have finished with 61 points. We also would have given 2 points each to Anaheim, Chicago, and Columbus, bringing them up to 60, 61, and 61 points. After tiebreaks, we would have finished 30th. Earning just a single point in any of those 10 wins would have put us in 29th and unable to draft any of the 3 guys you bring up.

It is so unbelievably difficult to only earn 2 points over 20 games in the NHL. Playing well down the stretch didn't cost us a top 3 pick.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
We finished 22 points ahead of the team that drafted Fantilli and 23 points ahead of the team that drafted Carlsson. Also 22 points ahead of the Hawks who won the lottery to move up to #1.

We went 10-8-2 in our final 20 games. If you turn all 10 of those wins into regulation losses, we'd have finished with 61 points. We also would have given 2 points each to Anaheim, Chicago, and Columbus, bringing them up to 60, 61, and 61 points. After tiebreaks, we would have finished 30th. Earning just a single point in any of those 10 wins would have put us in 29th and unable to draft any of the 3 guys you bring up.

It is so unbelievably difficult to only earn 2 points over 20 games in the NHL. Playing well down the stretch didn't cost us a top 3 pick.
Honestly, I’m just bitter Bedard is in Chicago lol. I have high hopes for DD and definitely am not mad we ended up with him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Cheering for Bedard to start scoring GWG's doesn't seem so bad now does it?
He actually is an easy player to root for. He’s the real deal and I like his personality off the ice. Seems super driven and humble.

So yeah, I hate that he’s in Chicago. I hope Bedard has a really good career without the ‘Hawks having any real success. I’m not expecting it, but there’s at least some hope for that, judging by the Oilers and McDavid so far.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm amazed how The Blues have hung on and continued to play hard and disciplined even after The Devils seemed to come out of their lethargy with some energy to try and pull out this game.

Hayes leads another 2 on 1! Where has this energy from him been all season before this?

Binnington made a nice save on that last Devils' flurry.

Reactions: Davimir Tarablad

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
So what should I watch. I'm thinking of rewatching Stranger Things.
Saw a trailer for one that looks interesting during tonights game(the NJ game): Monarch Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+. New fanchise Godzilla based series but looks like it won't be released until closer to Thanksgiving(wiki says Nov. 17).

The great Kurt Russell(known for his role as the great Herb Brooks) part of the main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad