GDT: Game 8/82 Blues @ Leafs 6PM CST FDSNMW

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Boys blocked a lot of shots, didn't allow a lot of shots inside the danger zone, and Binner looked like he saw the puck well. If they had played like this on Tuesday night, they probably would've beaten the Jets. (Then would've lost 5-1 tonight.)

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I was at the game tonight, I went to Toronto for my 40th and saw the HHoF and went to this game, among other things. Probably my first "live" Blues hockey game in five years. A couple of thoughts, starting with the D and then moving to forwards:

1. Broberg looks even better in person. I thought the knock on him was his IQ was low - that was not what I saw at all. When he had time, he made a nice play. When he didn't, he made a smart, simple play. I was really impressed with him overall. Very interested to see how he grows over the course of the season.

2. Faulk - Faulk was maybe the most frustrating top 4 D to watch. His puck skills are below average and his IQ is f***ing terrible. I HIGHLY disagree with that game score card thingy someone posted earlier. He gets caught in-between CONSTANTLY and it's very frustrating to watch. There were multiple times when he didn't decide if he wanted to step up or back up - his penalty was 100% a direct result of this. He made multiple egregious turnovers that Binner had to stop. He was by far our worst top 4 d-man tonight.

3. Parayko - The man simply eats ice. The only issue I have with him is in-zone PK. On the zone entry, he's a beast. But once the puck gets into the zone, the dude plays like he's 5'8". He plays extremely small, he needs to watch video of Jay-Bo on the PK from like 2016-2020 and watch how he lays out as well as uses the full length of his stick to maximize his surface coverage. We gave up a couple of grade A chances on the PK b/c he stands upright and uses basically only his blade to try and stop passes.

4. Suter - I really liked Suter's game. The dude clearly knows how to defend at the NHL level. I wish he was about 6 years younger, and then I'd have a ton of confidence in our D-core.

5. Peru/Joseph - Peru is terrible, and Joseph isn't good enough to cover for him. Peru just ain't it fam.

Forwards:

6. Schenn - Wow this dude sucks with the puck. Like legit is a f***ing dumpster fire when the puck is on his stick. Made so many bonehead ass plays that would get a kid like Bolduc stapled to the pine. Has legit no business being in the top 6 of a contender. I do not agree at all with whatever advanced stats that card thingy posted earlier says, Schenn was terrible tonight.

7. Joseph and Holloway - loved these two tonight. They both have great wheels and the motor to run them. They are the type of guys that we will need to lean on this year while we figure out how to find more overall talent.

8. Kyrou - I have never watched Kyrou in person before, but now I get what people talk about with the floating and the lack of effort. He had a really good overall game, but man is it hard to watch this guy and not think that there's a whole 'nother level he could hit if he simply had the motor. Ah well, guess we'll simply have to accept the 85 point winger he is, and not the dominant 100+ point winger he might be.

This game looks lopsided on the scoresheet, but frankly, I think the Leafs were the better team. We capitalized on our chances and the Leafs didn't. Binner played outstanding and we found a way to pot a couple goals unexpectedly.

Anyway, that's all I got for this one. Very fun finally seeing a game live for the first time in many years, and I was -not- expecting that outcome lol.

Cheers.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
We did a much better job tonight defensively of not reaching in and getting off balance and out of position. That was a big problem in the Wild game, but tonight we played much more patient and structured. We clogged the middle of the ice, and while TOR had a ton of shots, a lot of them were from distance. It helped that Binner was in top form. But we did a nice job of playing team defense in front of him. Our sticks were also much, much better tonight, which created a good amount of turnovers and odd-man rushes. Good game, onto the next one

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I was at the game tonight, I went to Toronto for my 40th and saw the HHoF and went to this game, among other things. Probably my first "live" Blues hockey game in five years. A couple of thoughts, starting with the D and then moving to forwards:

1. Broberg looks even better in person. I thought the knock on him was his IQ was low - that was not what I saw at all. When he had time, he made a nice play. When he didn't, he made a smart, simple play. I was really impressed with him overall. Very interested to see how he grows over the course of the season.

2. Faulk - Faulk was maybe the most frustrating top 4 D to watch. His puck skills are below average and his IQ is f***ing terrible. I HIGHLY disagree with that game score card thingy someone posted earlier. He gets caught in-between CONSTANTLY and it's very frustrating to watch. There were multiple times when he didn't decide if he wanted to step up or back up - his penalty was 100% a direct result of this. He made multiple egregious turnovers that Binner had to stop. He was by far our worst top 4 d-man tonight.

3. Parayko - The man simply eats ice. The only issue I have with him is in-zone PK. On the zone entry, he's a beast. But once the puck gets into the zone, the dude plays like he's 5'8". He plays extremely small, he needs to watch video of Jay-Bo on the PK from like 2016-2020 and watch how he lays out as well as uses the full length of his stick to maximize his surface coverage. We gave up a couple of grade A chances on the PK b/c he stands upright and uses basically only his blade to try and stop passes.

4. Suter - I really liked Suter's game. The dude clearly knows how to defend at the NHL level. I wish he was about 6 years younger, and then I'd have a ton of confidence in our D-core.

5. Peru/Joseph - Peru is terrible, and Joseph isn't good enough to cover for him. Peru just ain't it fam.

Forwards:

6. Schenn - Wow this dude sucks with the puck. Like legit is a f***ing dumpster fire when the puck is on his stick. Made so many bonehead ass plays that would get a kid like Bolduc stapled to the pine. Has legit no business being in the top 6 of a contender. I do not agree at all with whatever advanced stats that card thingy posted earlier says, Schenn was terrible tonight.

7. Joseph and Holloway - loved these two tonight. They both have great wheels and the motor to run them. They are the type of guys that we will need to lean on this year while we figure out how to find more overall talent.

8. Kyrou - I have never watched Kyrou in person before, but now I get what people talk about with the floating and the lack of effort. He had a really good overall game, but man is it hard to watch this guy and not think that there's a whole 'nother level he could hit if he simply had the motor. Ah well, guess we'll simply have to accept the 85 point winger he is, and not the dominant 100+ point winger he might be.

This game looks lopsided on the scoresheet, but frankly, I think the Leafs were the better team. We capitalized on our chances and the Leafs didn't. Binner played outstanding and we found a way to pot a couple goals unexpectedly.

Anyway, that's all I got for this one. Very fun finally seeing a game live for the first time in many years, and I was -not- expecting that outcome lol.

Cheers.
I agree with you about Kyrou but I don't think hes even a 85 point player consistently as is, unless he wants to go down to being -40 again.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Well well I recall the lot of you panicking b/c we lost Thomas, understandably of course. But this year we actually have speed and depth and guys wanting to play for each other.

Jakes Neighbors is like a younger better version of Schenn right now, he’s got a great shot and instincts that goal was sick.

Broberg and Holloway I knew were gonna be good and primed for a break out season but my god have they exceeded expectations. I agree with the coaches Halloway actually looks better at center. Brobie is like a hybrid of Jaybo and Petro hes been unbelievable.

Binner is in mid season form.

loved what Sunny brought he was awesome, really helps the pk.

I’ve liked Tex from day one, great speed, hustle, and some finish too, would love to see him break out this season.

Peru is an undersized playmaking dman thats fun to watch I dont get the hate, he brings a different element to the d core, especially since Krug is done. Pierre Joseph has been a pleasant surprise too I like his game better than Kessel’s right now. Still a fan of Kessell don’t get me wrong.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well well I recall the lot of you panicking b/c we lost Thomas, understandably of course. But this year we actually have speed and depth and guys wanting to play for each other.

Jakes Neighbors is like a younger better version of Schenn right now, he’s got a great shot and instincts that goal was sick.

Broberg and Holloway I knew were gonna be good and primed for a break out season but my god have they exceeded expectations. I agree with the coaches Halloway actually looks better at center. Brobie is like a hybrid of Jaybo and Petro hes been unbelievable.

Binner is in mid season form.

loved what Sunny brought he was awesome, really helps the pk.

I’ve liked Tex from day one, great speed, hustle, and some finish too, would love to see him break out this season.

Peru is an undersized playmaking dman thats fun to watch I dont get the hate, he brings a different element to the d core, especially since Krug is done. Pierre Joseph has been a pleasant surprise too I like his game better than Kessel’s right now. Still a fan of Kessell don’t get me wrong.
Get back to me after 15 games of missing Thomas. This was like a new coach bump where the team comes together after adversity, but these things have a shelf life. If we can keep it up, then kudos to the team. But losing your best player for significant time is never a good thing.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Ya know, when it's games like these where a former Stanley Cup winning coach comes in to face the team that fired him, you feel like we should absolutely lose this game in years past. Was pleasantly surprised to see the score when I got home tonight. I'm watching the replay so here are some thoughts:

Playing with the pace of Toronto, which is incredibly hard to do because of their speed and high end talent. Shows that we do in fact have a speed element this year that can be used. Defense is still pretty solid, though they still need to work on the goofy plays in their own zone. I feel like they've had quite a few turnovers recently because of a bad pass or off balance pass to a partner or defenseman. The best thing this team could have ever done was pick up Joseph, Texier, Faksa, and Holloway. Faksa is that steady 4th line center that will give you exactly what you want and is reliable. The others are f***ing insane, puck hungry hounds. I don't know if I've ever seen this team play with such an aggressive forecheck as they are doing now. They have consistently created turnovers and chances for themselves in the offensive zone that we never would have seen in the past 4 years. LOVE what these players have brought to this lineup. Binnington is solid once again and makes the saves you want. Really can't ask more of him and Hofer at the moment other than just keep it going. Lastly, I've seen some remarks about Kyrou, but honestly I feel like this are fabricated this year. He has created a ton and developed chances with his skill. Not only that, but tonight he seems to have stepped up another level. I've never seen him forecheck or hound like he's done tonight, and it's created at least one, if not two goals. The floating, to me, does not check out in tonight's game, though this could change in the future.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad