Post-Game Talk: GAME 71 - Celine Dion = Titanic - NYR 5 BRUINS 2

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Rangers fan coming in peace:

We were lucky to make it out of the 1st down by only one, that was a rough period. After that it felt like the Rangers got their feet under them & the game shifted. But I definitely don't think the Fox goal was on Swayman. If you watch the replay on NHL.com, Fox is cutting towards the net and #27 (idk who that is on your team) moves to get between him and the net. Fox lets him get between to screen the goalie, and then waits until 27 moves his stick into the lane to further hide his release from Swayman. With such an accurate shot and heavy screen, that's a really tough save to make

EDIT: While I think very little of Edwards' play by play, hopefully he's able to get past whatever his current issue is

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Even though the game didnt end up with the result I wanted, I was very happy to see Celine Dion. She looks happy and healthy. I'll always be rooting for her. Seen her in concert a few years ago. Life changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Aeroforce

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's hard for me to tell watching on tv, as I can only see a limited area. What I gathered was the Rangers successfully eliminated all time and space from the B's. Whether they were playing full man-on-man coverage, or a variant of box +1, I don't know for certain.

Even on the PK, the B's had trouble getting in their structure. It wasn't visible on tv, but obviously they had a guy wide open on the weak side; but they could never get him the puck.

The B's had trouble last year year with Florida's crash-and-bang heavy forecheck. But the Rangers' tight checking seemed to demoralize them even more, hence the countless mental gaffes.

As for the goals, Panarin is an elite sniper. The first went through Swayman but it's tough calling that a bad goal.

The second went through him, too, but that whole play was a comedy of errors. Announcers talk incessantly about handedness and defenseman. Lindholm and Shattenkirk were on their proper sides, but Lindholm decides to go behind his net on his backhand.

The third goal was the back-breaker, and timed terribly. Can't let that one in, especially while the scoring on the tying goal is being announced.

Good points all. I think when it comes to playing the Bruins, one key truism of how to go about it successfully hasn't changed - really test their mental strength. People talk about forechecking a lot and that's part of it for sure, but at a more elementary level just take away their time and space, make every play difficult, make them doubt their decision-making, question whether they want to make a particular play or go to a particular part of the ice. However exactly you do that, that's the goal. Do it long and hard enough and see if they crack.

Obviously upping the pressure and checking is part of the playoffs for everybody, but I think I'd be focusing more on that specific aspect of forcing mistakes and doubt against Boston, than say against Florida where I'm placing greater emphasis on other areas. Are the Bruins tougher mentally and more composed under duress this year? The evidence this far is not very favorable, but ultimately there will only be one way of finding out.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think it's good to have some adversity. Last years team had the same aura. Like there was never any urgency or fear of losing. Confidence is great. To a certain point.... Being the underdog fighting uphill is always easier.

I wonder what the playoff lineup will look like. Work towards that. If Shattenkirk and/or Grzelcyk aren't going to be part of that, just get there now. Figure out your pairings. We aren't going with four RHD in game 1. That's for sure IMO. Sort that shit out now. Not in games 1-7 of round 1.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Go to well to many times it's bound to happen.CB is loaded with them I know.You would need to move lol
Especially since whenever the Leafs lose in the playoffs I always put that picture up at work , anonymously in the elevator.

Attachments

• IMG_0508_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0508_Original.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really don't understand the logic of playing Shattenkirk on his offside with Peake?
Just roll with Wotherspoon /Shattenkirk or Peake (depending on the opponent).
Peake can be Wotherspoon's partner vs heavy teams while Shattenkirk can draw in against more finesse teams.

Shattenkirk hasn't been playing all that bad for a bottom pairing guy. 4 points in his last two games and coming off the 3 assist night. But he is a mixed bag. Wotherspoon should get the nod for the next game. As for Peeke, he's been playing some good hockey and they need to keep getting him acquainted with the system and give him game reps. They sort of all ready know what they have in Wotherspoon.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I really don't understand the logic of playing Shattenkirk on his offside with Peake?
Just roll with Wotherspoon /Shattenkirk or Peake (depending on the opponent).
Peake can be Wotherspoon's partner vs heavy teams while Shattenkirk can draw in against more finesse teams.
Further cementing the fact that Wotherspoon shouldn’t sit another game.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
regarding that Fox goal - I have zero issues with that getting past Swayman. That was a perfect shot. If Charlie sniped that we wouldn’t be putting an asterisk next to it and saying it was only in due to bad goaltending.

Reactions: goldnblack

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I love her. Since her diagnosis, she's been only out in public twice. The Grammys and now this Bruins game with 2 of her 3 sons, wearing Bruins gear. I hope this mean she's feeling good. She's still silly. The Bruins losing in front of royalty like this hurts me lol

I saw her at the Garden in 2019. Talent like this doesn't come around often.
20191213_214326.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I blame Celine

They lost this one in the last ten minutes of period two. The first 30 of play they looked ok, good enough to get a win. The end of the second killed them. Rangers played a really good game in front of Quick, who was also pretty good

When the big guns don’t show up against good teams, these games will happen.

Oh well. Next game please.

Reactions: BMC and bruins19

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Celine is probably a Habs fan so she cursed us I guess.

Really the Rangers were just better than the Bruins. Not by a lot, but by more than enough. I don't like our chances of going far in the playoffs.

Brazzeau continues to do what he does really well and maybe they should work him in to PP1. He is a load in front.
Give it more time, but not impressed with Peeke. Wotherspoon was just as good and most nights better.
We can beat the leafs. Maybe Detroit. Probably Philly, but after that nobody else imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad