Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I would rather go with:

Jaden Schwartz - David Backes - Alexander Steen
TJ Oshie - Vladimir Sobotka - Vladimir Tarasenko
Patrik Berglund - Derek Roy - Chris Stewart
Brenden Morrow - Maxim Lapierre - Ryan Reaves

Berglund on left wing? Its not a bad lineup, but there are some things I dont like.

When does Stewarts actual value come into play? When they arent playing the Oilers or Flames, I mean. If he is a bottom 6 role player does he have the value when he is a one-dimensional player? There is more to this game than offense.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
a team that needs finishing like we do Stewart may be more important Ott is kind of redundant on our team.

We have a lot of players that play similar to Ott some much better some not as good. Ott is a slightly more offensive Lappy.
Ott is much more physical then lappy. Stewart wasn't effective when it mattered. I can count maybe 3 goals that helped this team. The GTG in Columbus and the 2 he potted in ottawa to give us one point

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I guess this was the point I was trying to make earlier about our PP, but it also applies to even strength. I haven't been as hard on Petro as many when it comes to shooting because often it is his only option.

In years past the Blues possession game relied heavily in the down low cycle. That has its limits because it is not efficient, is somewhat easy to defend against scoring chances and limits creativity. This year we are spending more time near the point and rely on puck movement. This offers greater creative opportunity and reduces the wear of constant cycling. It also however allows for more odd man rushes, requires greater emphasis on positional movement and awareness, and more point shots.

When our forwards are not on top of their positional game, that system requires more heavy lifting from our D, becomes much easier to limit scoring chances, and created more forced turnovers.
I missed your post from earlier. Agree with you 100%.

That half-wall threat is a great way to punish teams that are heavily pressuring the points, or to re-establish the points as an option should the defenders back off.

Kane and Hossa do that extremely well for the Hawks (one of their biggest advantages over us, IMO). McDonald used to do it very well a few years back. Tarasenko has shown me that he's capable of filling that role for us. Steen to a lesser extent. Schwartz could be capable if he wasn't so focused on getting to the net. Roy should be theoretically, but he's mostly been invisible in that area. Nobody else among our forwards really is a serious threat from there, but someone still needs to give the point an option.

GrandPapillon*

We really are pining for Stewart over Ott?

Paajarvi for Perron was a much bigger mistake. We could have Perron and some money rather than Paajarvi, a 2nd round pick, Roy, and Leopold.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010

Paajarvi for Perron was a much bigger mistake. We could have Perron and some money rather than Paajarvi, a 2nd round pick, Roy, and Leopold.

Since you can't let this go, which winger would you trade in the top six to keep Perron?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

It's not really wanting Stewart as much as not wanting Ott. Paajarvi is a much better fit for us and has plenty of room to grow. Despite perhaps not getting as much as we could have for Perron, I'm still pretty happy with that deal.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Missed the last few games because I was on vacation. Haven't read any threads or anything but I'm gonna assume that it's general doom and gloom over the last two games and that there is plenty of Miller whining or maybe even a lack thereof since he's god. And I bet it's Hitchs fault that the lines aren't scoring. And one of the dmen is not playing the way they should. And one of the bottom six guys is a waste of money and space for another player.

How'd i do.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'd say you nailed it, Kentucky!

People here are having a stroke caused by a hyperbolism.

Have a good friend in Prestonsburg. Anywhere near you?

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Missed the last few games because I was on vacation. Haven't read any threads or anything but I'm gonna assume that it's general doom and gloom over the last two games and that there is plenty of Miller whining or maybe even a lack thereof since he's god. And I bet it's Hitchs fault that the lines aren't scoring. And one of the dmen is not playing the way they should. And one of the bottom six guys is a waste of money and space for another player.

How'd i do.

Not really blaming anything on Miller I've been pretty consistent since before the trade deadline we needed to add more scoring and not get a goalie as our forwards not scoring enough has always been our problem when we lose. It was rarely bad goaltending and almost always bad play by the team as a whole. Its an issue we didn't address and still have.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It's not really wanting Stewart as much as not wanting Ott. Paajarvi is a much better fit for us and has plenty of room to grow. Despite perhaps not getting as much as we could have for Perron, I'm still pretty happy with that deal.

The MPS/Perron deal was a terrible return. It didn't address anything other than getting Perron off the team. That needed to happen but Army screwed up on the return. He also overpaid for Miller and Ott.

I am glad to have Perron and Stewart off the team, but turning them into worthwhile assets, well...Army did poorly.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
I don't view Miller as a mistake by any stretch. He'll get more and more comfortable.

We certainly overpaid for Ott though. Vanek as a rental was pennies on the dollar of Ott's price.

Regardless, another goal scorer won't make the difference between this team taking a period or three off.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't view Miller as a mistake by any stretch. He'll get more and more comfortable.

We certainly overpaid for Ott though. Vanek as a rental was pennies on the dollar of Ott's price.

Regardless, another goal scorer won't make the difference between this team taking a period or three off.
Miller was not a mistake, but Ott was not necessary.

I also agree that another scorer doesn't fix this team. I think they are just either worn down (Olympic folks) or they are letting up because they already have accomplished do much this year/are not facing great internal pressure to win at this point in the season.

To me we still haven't seen the best out of this team and given we already have 100 points, that is exciting.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Right, a top five offense isn't good enough. That's why we're not a contender :laugh: give me a ****ing break :laugh:

To be fair, were still in the top 5 for offense because of the amazing offensive start they got off too. This team hasn't been anywhere near as efficient as that top 5 offense was, ever since that January 10th game against Vancouver. Ever since that game, the offense has never clicked like it did from the beginning of October thru mid January.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
a team that needs finishing like we do Stewart may be more important Ott is kind of redundant on our team.

We have a lot of players that play similar to Ott some much better some not as good. Ott is a slightly more offensive Lappy.

Stewart was awful, he contributed in no way (unless we're playing a bottom 5 team) period.

Everybody was more than thrilled with Ott when we were winning, now that we've lost a couple and are having trouble scoring people are wanting Stewart back?!? The last goal he scored was on January freaking 10th (against surprise surprise Calgary, oh and he scored on the 9th as well against Edmonton) and the last point was a assist on February 1st. How is everybody already starting to forget how worthless Stewart was for us? No way, for months every Blues fan on this board wished and prayed Stewart would be shipped.

Ott has been great, first and foremost he's always visible when he's on the ice, his hustle and compete level rivals Schwartz, he's always causing mayhem hitting anything in a different color sweater and finally he's great on face-off's which will be a huge factor come playoff time. We knew when we got him, he would chip in assists, hit, (everything) win FO's and maybe a goal here and there. But we knew he wasn't gonna be a huge contributor on offense, on the other hand though Ott (22) only has 4 fewer points than Stewart (26.) So offensive production is virtually even between the two, and a big upgrade everywhere else on the ice in Ott.

Last edited:

RR10*

Nobody wants Stewart back. We are just addressing that Ott hasn't done **** so far and so far it would actually be better to have Stewart. Ott has a lot to prove.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Flyers fan here. Just want to say Schwartz is nasty. Scared the hell out of me with the puck everytime. Is he more of a winger or a center?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nobody wants Stewart back. We are just addressing that Ott hasn't done **** so far and so far it would actually be better to have Stewart. Ott has a lot to prove.

Not even close. Stewart is absolutely useless unless we are playing a bottom feeder. Ott at least is a pain in the ass to play against.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Our PP is a huge liability right now something Hitchcock/Shaw need to address as soon as possible.

Its been bad way to long now we have the personnel for a better PP.

I really do miss Tarasenko I know he's not an offensive juggernaut yet but he does add a lot of offensive potential to our team

Hooligan, are you a mind reader? You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Tarasenko makes out second line a lot more dangerous. We could use that against good teams. And you mentioned the PP, which had been putrid for a while. That highlights Hitch's most glaring weakness as a coach: he never makes adjustments.

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site

keep-calm-and-stop-beating-this-dead-horse.png

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The MPS/Perron deal was a terrible return. It didn't address anything other than getting Perron off the team. That needed to happen but Army screwed up on the return. He also overpaid for Miller and Ott.

I am glad to have Perron and Stewart off the team, but turning them into worthwhile assets, well...Army did poorly.

I still don't know. We got rid of Perron and his salary for a young player and a high 2nd. We could have gotten more, but Army's plan all along was to use it in free agency and he struck out there. The deal itself wasn't that bad, it was the lack of a real back up plan (other than Roy) when Lecavalier and Filppula chose to go elsewhere.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
PANIC MODE!! PANIC MODE!! Stop with the nonsense with wishing Stewart back and complaining about the Perron trade...it's done and over with!! Now let's move on to the next game, shall we?

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Stewart was awful, he contributed in no way (unless we're playing a bottom 5 team) period.

Everybody was more than thrilled with Ott when we were winning, now that we've lost a couple and are having trouble scoring people are wanting Stewart back?!? The last goal he scored was on January freaking 10th (against surprise surprise Calgary, oh and he scored on the 9th as well against Edmonton) and the last point was a assist on February 1st. How is everybody already starting to forget how worthless Stewart was for us? No way, for months every Blues fan on this board wished and prayed Stewart would be shipped.

Ott has been great, first and foremost he's always visible when he's on the ice, his hustle and compete level rivals Schwartz, he's always causing mayhem hitting anything in a different color sweater and finally he's great on face-off's which will be a huge factor come playoff time. We knew when we got him, he would chip in assists, hit, (everything) win FO's and maybe a goal here and there. But we knew he wasn't gonna be a huge contributor on offense, on the other hand though Ott (22) only has 4 fewer points than Stewart (26.) So offensive production is virtually even between the two, and a big upgrade everywhere else on the ice in Ott.

The main and justified complaint about Ott is that we paid more for him than just about any other forward went for at the deadline and he's no where close to the talent of some of those other forwards.

If he ends up being a rental, it was a terrible utilization of assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark