GDT: Game 7: Red Wings vs devils 7:00 pm et 10/24/24

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Do you just live to troll? They were playing shit, it might have gotten ugly. And still can. They’re doubling us in shots and Talbot has bailed us out.

Both things can be true. DBC made a fantastic play showing really great offensive awareness. We’re still overall playing like ass.

stay strong, little trooper, if the Devils keep getting 18 shots a period they'll catch up

(now I will say, among the Debbie Downers, you might be the least bad -- you're not just a one-note incessant drum beat of doom like some. The season is young and we've come out of the gates slowly offensively, and yet...we have 6 points in as many games. Count your blessings, not your problems.)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
if u r judging the game by the shot total fine.

but by the eye test game was even.
By the eye test, NJ had the puck practically the entire first 18 minutes. Created a bunch of good chances that were lucky they only converted on once.

If you think this game has been even, I'm worried about your eyesight

Reactions: RedHawkDown

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the eye test, NJ had the puck practically the entire first 18 minutes. Created a bunch of good chances that were lucky they only converted on once.

Scoring chances were 6 to 4 in NJ favor. There were periods of perimeter play out of them. We are going to allow teams to do that with as big as our D is and how they clog lanes.

The Wings do need to do a much better job of generating sustained offensive zone pressure. The real reality here is you can fluke out these games defensively in the right circumstances but it is a very taxing way to play. Torts has done it for years.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
Mo looks like he wants to hurt someone...good. As long as it's clean, go to town.
steve-american-dad (1).gif

Reactions: saska sault

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

sure NJD had a bit more possession but they did F all with it. a few extra floaters to the net.
high danger chances were about even.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Glad they're leading, but Larkin's line gotta be better. They're not able to get set-up in the offensive zone, perhaps Larkin has the flu but his even strength corsi is one of the worst on the team.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Sometimes I just don’t know what you guys are seeing. I don’t know if it’s Homer glasses or what but they dominated possession and puck control for the majority of the period. You can’t just say “well the danger chances are similar” it does not work that way. On average the team who has more possession will majority of time finish the game with more good chances. Hence why this style of play is not sustainable. We played the exact same way last year, just with better shooting luck. Lalondes systems do not work.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Dude I’m so tired of getting outplayed yet score wise making it look close so people don’t think there’s anything wrong. Even though we are winning we cannot continue to play like this, it is not good play and not sustainable.

yes I agree -- it's very unlikely that the Wings opponents will continue to outshoot us by a 3:1 ratio. That shit is unsustainable.

That's why I'm blissfully unconcerned about our current stats and thankful to bank a few points despite our bad luck and mediocre play. When we revert to the mean we're going to tear shit up SON

oh by the by -- drink of the evening, a really strong rum old fashioned -- this thing is half Foursquare at about 61% ABV and the rest is whatever else I found handy.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
yes I agree -- it's very unlikely that the Wings opponents will continue to outshoot us by a 3:1 ratio. That shit is unsustainable.

That's why I'm blissfully unconcerned about our current stats and thankful to bank a few points despite our bad luck and mediocre play. When we revert to the mean we're going to tear shit up SON

oh by the by -- drink of the evening, a really strong rum old fashioned -- this thing is half Foursquare at about 61% ABV and the rest is whatever else I found handy.
Not unlikely at all actually, our 5v5 play metrics last year were abysmal. We have that as a huge sample size and it keeps happening this year again. I think it’s a lot likelier we keep getting out played like this against good teams than not.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Sometimes I just don’t know what you guys are seeing. I don’t know if it’s Homer glasses or what but they dominated possession and puck control for the majority of the period. You can’t just say “well the danger chances are similar” it does not work that way. On average the team who has more possession will majority of time finish the game with more good chances. Hence why this style of play is not sustainable. We played the exact same way last year, just with better shooting luck. Lalondes systems do not work.
i would say NJD has possession but DRW did a good job defeneding. In my books that is not "playing like shyt" or "being dominated"

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't think New Jersey was super threatening with a lot of that is sort of the point. I still would rather possess the puck more than we have thus far.
That's fair. I just think you'd have to be pretty biased to think that was an even period, which was what the poster I quoted was saying.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

OK -- I know you know hockey a lot better than I do. I've watched it for a long time, but only watched.

But what I'm seeing is really good goaltending, Edvinsson looks better than Seider, Berggren and Kasper look like they are both going to be top-6 guys, and the rest of the team looks like they have explosive diarrhea.

(which by the way has always been my go-to excuse for missing something: because no one would choose such a humiliating lie. That son of a bitch Compher, he actually did it.)

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
stay strong, little trooper, if the Devils keep getting 18 shots a period they'll catch up

(now I will say, among the Debbie Downers, you might be the least bad -- you're not just a one-note incessant drum beat of doom like some. The season is young and we've come out of the gates slowly offensively, and yet...we have 6 points in as many games. Count your blessings, not your problems.)
I guess I’m a downer around these parts but I see myself as more of a realist. The team overall kinda sucks and I don’t like the personnel decisions in terms of FA signings and player deployment so I make those thoughts known. But I really love the drafting and think guys like Ed, ASP and Buch are gonna be stars.

I think there’s room for being cautiously optimistic but also frustrated by failure and bad play. That’s why my tag is “still trying to trust” lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad