Post-Game Talk: GAME 7 - Nashville 4 BRUINS 0

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Strange, NHL app shows them being WC2View attachment 920512

But moot because the season is more than 7 games long..and Carolina has only played 5 games to everyone else's 7-8 games so they'd probably bump us just as well
Mine was sorted by win percent, to take away the advantage of 'more games played.' In leagues where teams play an uneven number of games, they use win% not total points to determine standings.

Yes, of course the season is more than 7 games. But suggesting they're 'practically in first place' is a fallacy. The reality is they have not played well and they have to get it sorted because if they're not in a playoff position by Thanksgiving history shows they are very unlikely to make it.

And McDavid would end the season with 3 goals, what an overpayment.

Hypothetical scenarios based on small sample sizes are fun.
Yep, better to stick our heads in the sands and pretend everything is fine.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They need to realize that they aren’t a fancy team. They only have one good line. Right now it’s the forth line. They need to play a defensive structure until they can get some games under them. I can’t believe I’m saying this but they need some Clode here.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Solid players don’t become bad over night. Has to be something else. This team has to be on the same page, or else this won’t work. Good news is that we have an awesome 4th line that cares. Somewhere to start I guess

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
maybe someone with more inside info than this couch potato can answer this. I always thought it was often the vet players themselves who dictated how often they will play in preseason? Understanding of course the coach and upper management might want a longer look at certain players too?

Honestly I don't know if that is the case or not. I did think at the time they were spending way too much time looking at the kids instead of preparing for the season. And here we are...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Montgomery's love for line shuffling isn't helping anything either. He needs to pick lines and leave them alone for a few weeks. Give the guys time to gel with their linemates before you impatiently go "not working, youre with them now"

Reactions: frankiess

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
They need to realize that they aren’t a fancy team. They only have one good line. Right now it’s the forth line. They need to play a defensive structure until they can get some games under them. I can’t believe I’m saying this but they need some Clode here.

They should look at some game film from the Claude years to see how he structured things. As the years have gone by that system has been watered down in an attempt to produce more offense. Given what I've seen they need to go back to the future as it were, this squad has to grind out their goals no more fancy plays.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It isn't just that we may have some players slotted higher than they should be. Even if we say Coyle is a 3C and Frederic is a 3rd or 4th liner, for example, they should still be playing better than they are. Something is really off with the team. Whoever said a team that is returning this many players with the same coach was dead on that they shouldn't be this dysfunctional.

Brad still looks cooked and I feel like he hasn't been peak Brad for at least couple of seasons now. Age, wear and tear, persistent injury, whatever, and he still gets a LOT of attention from other teams. Okay, it happens, but WTF with Pastrnak? He has been hot garbage. Zacha? Coyle, Frederic, Geekie, Poitras, Brazeau? What's the deal with those guys playing like they don't have a clue about where to be and what to do.

E. Lindholm has been okay- it's hard to tell sometimes because his linemates have been shit, but he at least has the excuse of being a new guy.

Passes to nowhere, losing the majority of puck battles, failed zone exits, neutral zone turnovers, d men getting lost in coverage, a powerless play and on and on. I mean it's been tough to watch out there, even with a few wins. I'll ask again, what the hell is going on?
Been some really v crazy plays by a lot of players. Lohrei has coughed up the puck at least 3 times that have been literally Bantam level bad and last night #88 ad 2 breakaways that basically didn't require a save and he literally face planted on one.

Clode

Mark Kastelic Enjoyer
Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
How has Lindholm and Zadorov been thus far if I may ask?
Still adjusting I think. Lindholms made some plays here and there but hasn't really found chemistry with the top line yet but does a lot of things away from the puck well and is a lot more physical than I expected him to be.

Zadorov has been steady. Hasn't really wowed me but hasn't been bad. Takes a ton of penalties though which needs to be cleaned up.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Agree. I was surprised Sway started this one. At the very least we could have blamed the loss on Korpse and simply moved on from it to face Dallas with Sway. I wonder what Jay Leach would have done?
When I saw the photo of him walking in I was thinking there’s a guy who doesn’t plan on taking a shower after and going to get a jump on the nightlife after

Very surprised he started

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Do you realize how much of an impact having a pair of top 3 players in the world offsets holes in other areas?

McDavid - 408pts
Draisaitl - 344pts
Pastrnak - 300pts

McDavid & Draisaitl rank #1 & #2 in production over the last 3 seasons among ALL players. Draisaitl has as many goals as Pastrnak does and McDavid has 8 less goals than Pastrnak. Is Skinner as good as Swayman? I wouldn't say so but he's not a bum either.

Skinner - 122GP / 71 W / 2.67 GAA / .910 SV% / 4 SO
Swayman - 122GP / 72 W / 2.41 GAA / .916 SV% / 10 SO

Skinner over the last 3 years among goalies with at least 80gp ranks

Wins - 18th
GAA - 11th
SV% - 14th
SO - 34th
GSAA - 16th
None of that matters bruins are a top 5 team overall they are 3-3-1 not 0-7. Marchand swayman Lindholm poitras all missed most of camp alot of new faces. Takes time to gel they will be fine you will see this is a very good team
Do you realize how much of an impact having a pair of top 3 players in the world offsets holes in other areas?

McDavid - 408pts
Draisaitl - 344pts
Pastrnak - 300pts

McDavid & Draisaitl rank #1 & #2 in production over the last 3 seasons among ALL players. Draisaitl has as many goals as Pastrnak does and McDavid has 8 less goals than Pastrnak. Is Skinner as good as Swayman? I wouldn't say so but he's not a bum either.

Skinner - 122GP / 71 W / 2.67 GAA / .910 SV% / 4 SO
Swayman - 122GP / 72 W / 2.41 GAA / .916 SV% / 10 SO

Skinner over the last 3 years among goalies with at least 80gp ranks

Wins - 18th
GAA - 11th
SV% - 14th
SO - 34th
GSAA - 16t

• Haha
Reactions: drkfluff

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Toronto lost 6-2 in Columbus they are 4-3-0
Florida lost 5-2 to Minnesota they are 4-3-1
Boston lost 4-o to Nashville they are 3-3-1
Why is everyone acting like the season is over?
I don't see them reacting that way in Toronto or Florida

Reactions: Shoebottom88

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Are you not watching the on ice product in those games compared to the B's? It's not them winning or losing it's a complete ineptitude from lines 1-3 and the entire D corps to play any type of system. Chemistry is a fun excuse but these are professionals that are still good hockey players, why can no one complete a pass or win a foot race?

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta
My take, assuming Monty isn’t let go.
Sign TJ, league minimum gets it done.
Zacha, pasta and TJ (pasta and Z worked last year, TJ can be as effective as Heinen. He also is still a fairly high skill guy.
Lindholm, Marshy and Matty P
Coyle, Freddy and the Geek.
Our solid 4th line. As balanced as we can hope. Jones and Brazz sub in.
This team is playing awful, but should be much better than we have seen, that is on the coaching. Personally, I think Monty is done and the players want him gone.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
They would be 1-6 without Swayman and in contention for a top 5 pick. He's worth what he is getting paid

Depending on how things go over the next 10-15 games, those statements are at odds in my mind. If your goalie is keeping you afloat at middling/average, without additional pieces, isn’t that kind of a bad thing? A few extra wins v a better pick to trade or draft a top player sounds better than a top tier goalie if there aren’t strong players around him.

Way too early to be making declarative statements about how the season will go but there’s something very, very off about this group. I love Sway, but there’s a tipping point.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
People are reacting at their shit play, and they have every right to do that. This team is playing like ass. It's the fact that a 4th line is carrying the entire offense is the issue.

Reactions: lopey and Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Is their leading point producer a 26yr old career AHL'er? Hell are 3 of their top 4 producers on their 4th line? You have 3 guys who have never put up more than 10-11 points in their career....and right now their all on pace for ~60pt seasons. I don't know about you, but I don't see that as being sustainable.

On paper the Bruins are a very talented team.....but championship aren't won on paper. If they keep playing like they are, they'll be a wild card team this year.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Beyond the 4th line and Swayman, pretty much everyone else looks like they can only get better. Individually many of them can't be happy with their starts so far. If they thought as a group, they were ready for the season, you have to believe they're understanding that not to be the case at this point, and habits need to change on an individual basis.

Personally think the team is better than they currently show. Also, think the team believes they are much better than they show. So, not going to think this team is doomed this early. It'd be very surprising to me, these guys don't improve. How much they improve not sure, although didn't see a Presidents Trophy team before the season started either. Having a healthy season, more of a 5th to 8th seed team, somehow picking up a good forward at the deadline.

Everything talked about prior to the season was building a better playoff team, that when the games really mattered, they'd be harder to play against. Unfortunately, regular season is more of a finesse game, especially early on, hard for team's to put their bodies on the line as hard when the games mean very little. It's just natural, and it's not their style. Hopefully as time goes on, they're able to play a harder game and play well enough to get into the playoffs, and do it with some health, which is the real tough part playing the style they want to play.

Still believe the beginning of the season means nothing, except for points. Every year team's suck or are playing great at the beginning, and by the end of the season, nobody gives a shit what happened in the first half. Every year.

Maybe this team doesn't get it together and actually miss the playoffs, that'd be brutal, but a bit of a sucker for some adversity early on and seeing a team come together when they looked like they were nothing good. Think there's a decent chance we see that this year, just going to be a little rough to watch early.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Team is built to win games 2-1 with elite goaltending, great defensive structure and physical play. Whatever the coach is asking them to do is not it. It's not an execution problem is an effort problem and they have clearly already quit on the coach. Monty berating Marchand in the 4th? game of the season the way he did on the bench is HUGE and don't think people realize this and how bad it was.

Fire Monty. Lysell and Johnson in. Poitras late season add after full season down, Jones can f*** off. Stack Lindholm, Pasta, Marchand. Stay in the hunt until the deadline and see where you are at.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bring Claude Julien back! He was able to get pretty good results regardless of the roster albeit, I don't know if the roster has even been this poor.

Unfortunately, he's assistant coach of those damned St. Louis Blues this season. And really why would he want to come back after the way Neely & Sweeney treated him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad