Post-Game Talk: GAME 7 - Nashville 4 BRUINS 0

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Not as bad as everyone thinks

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
His stats are mediocre thus far meaning for his salary he should elevate a team if he's the guy. If any goalie would be the same why is 8 mill being paid. He cant complain for months about salary then say oh well not my fault when the games are played
Yep. He's 15th in sv pct and 19th in saves above expected. Not good enough for a guy who insisted he be the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league.

That said, his numbers are trending up so that's a good sign.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Nashville was desperate and played about as well as they can. When I saw that they were 0-5 and in 32nd place with a decent roster, I knew the Bruins would be lucky to get a point.

I think the Bruins will rebound with a homestand.

I also think they need to sign Johnson or make a deal for some skilled forward help in the near future. Brazeau and Jones seem like solid depth players but not top 9 fixtures.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
They will be fine, every year every team slumps at some point of the year.

Pucks will start going in and all will be well again....

Just like the men's warehouse.... I guarantee it.....

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Marchand needs to become a third line energy winger, Coyle just needs to go, Geekie isn't as bad as he is playing right now but he is not anywhere as good as he played last year, I love Poitras but he may need seasoning in Providence for a few weeks, there is a reason Brazeau was on a minor league contract last year until the end of the season. They have one top line forward in Pasta, a 1st/2nd line center in Lindholm, That's it for top two line talent. The third line should be Marchand-Zacha-Frederic but only if Frederic realizes he is a physical player and not a finesse forward.

Lots of this is on Sweeney, he made them bigger but besides Zadorov and Kastelic did not make them tougher. Tufte is not tough, Jones is a hitter/agitator but is playing soft and bringing nothing to the table in doing so. They have some assets to move. Carlo should get you a very good return, ideally a top 6 forward, I have no idea what Coyles value is. Both have at least some movement protection so Edmonton, Winnipeg and the normal "I ain't going there" teams are probably on their lists. I wouldn't move Marchand but I would move him to the third line and take him off the power play. Geekie might net you a 3rd round pick or mid level prospect, scouts have been in Providence, I am going to assume watching Lysell and Merkulov, do they hold any real value?

Not sure what moves need to be made but as little emotion as this team is playing with I would start with firing most of the coaching staff, give it a few months and if they have not improved make as significant a trade as possible

Last edited:
Reactions: Troublesome 85

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Nashville was desperate and played about as well as they can. When I saw that they were 0-5 and in 32nd place with a decent roster, I knew the Bruins would be lucky to get a point.
I didn't think Nashville played that well- they were there for the taking had the Bruins gotten after them early. After it became clear that outside of one little burst early in the 2nd that the Bruins were not going to be competitive, they started getting some confidence, but I see the game as a lost opportunity to puck up 2 points.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Montgomery has to go. Not next game, but 10 games down the stretch. Don’t want it looking like he got fired for yelling at Marchand. Bad optics. But he should’ve been gone after the ‘23 Florida playoff collapse. Anyway, love how some are longing for Heinen, while unloading on Marchand’s effort even though he’s not 100% after his SURGERIES. Played Florida twice now this season, and based on the flow of these games you’d think Boston had nothing to prove to them. They got bigger, tougher for what? There is a disconnect somewhere between Sweeney, Montgomery & the players as to what this team is supposed to be. There is just no way Marchand has forgotten getting sucker punched & concussed, and I hope the rest of his teammates haven’t forgotten the embarrassments suffered. That leaves Sweeney & Montgomery. Dressing down your captain on live TV reeks of desperation. Something you do when you lost the room.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Zacha played well, better then #63 who did play better.
Zacha is always close to scoring......

Brad looks, at best, uncomfortable out there. I'd bet he's a little ball of pain most nights.

I suspect his mind is writing checks his body can't cash. Two seasons in a row he's had major surgeries over summer and come back after an extremely short period of rehab. That's a young man's game and usually just pushes the payment down the road anyway.
Not sure, problem IMHO is elsewhere. If he play's injured or in pain.... why did Monty yell at him.

Reactions: rfournier103

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They are at G7 how about you let shit playout for the next 15 game before determining #63 can't improve his game and Coyle improves his. Go look at the DNQ's of last year (half the NHL) and not a snowballs chance in hell they weren't top 6 players.

So after 7GP this year, you're calling it's done deal that #63\13 can't recover?
Well aren't you full of extrapolations and hyperbole today? Why even bother writing a response when you're going to tell me what I said?

I didn't say Marchand can't get better. I happen to think that the expectations that he revert back to what he was 6-8 years ago is wildly unrealistic given the mileage and the wear and tear on his body. He's on the back 9. He's not going to be a PPG+ guy because his slowing down. Is he still a good player? Sure. Can he carry 2 stiffs and still produce offensively like he used to? Nope. He needs help. And a 3rd line center slotting up like Coyle and whatever bottom 6 stiff du jour they rotate through simply aren't enough.

Like I said at the start, the reason you don't focus on the bottom 6 like they did is because the top 6 is much harder to find and far more important. This is a bottom heavy roster and has been for years now. It's simply catching up to them after being masked by a handful of guys having career seasons last year. And realistically, I said career seasons are awfully hard to replicate year over year, which is why they're called career seasons. Coyle is closer to the guy that lost his second line center job to Erik f***ing Haula than a regular 20+ goal scorer. Zacha had back to back productive seasons from playing with a dude that was putting up 110+ points. Now that Pasta is not lighting it up, their lack of scoring depth is being badly exposed

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbruinfan

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Montgomery has to go. Not next game, but 10 games down the stretch. Don’t want it looking like he got fired for yelling at Marchand. Bad optics. But he should’ve been gone after the ‘23 Florida playoff collapse. Anyway, love how some are longing for Heinen, while unloading on Marchand’s effort even though he’s not 100% after his SURGERIES. Played Florida twice now this season, and based on the flow of these games you’d think Boston had nothing to prove to them. They got bigger, tougher for what? There is a disconnect somewhere between Sweeney, Montgomery & the players as to what this team is supposed to be. There is just no way Marchand has forgotten getting sucker punched & concussed, and I hope the rest of his teammates haven’t forgotten the embarrassments suffered. That leaves Sweeney & Montgomery. Dressing down your captain on live TV reeks of desperation. Something you do when you lost the room.
Agree on the disconnect. Sweeney said he didn’t necessarily want to get bigger for the sake of getting bigger, but as a consequence of having guys who “arrive on time (on the forecheck)”. Well they got 3 of those kinds of guys, but they’re all on one line. None of the other guys on the other three lines ever arrive on time. They all think they should be playing cutsie hockey like they’ve always done. Don’t see how they’re suddenly going to flip a switch.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So and the bruins have a top goal scorer and better goalie than skinner

Do you realize how much of an impact having a pair of top 3 players in the world offsets holes in other areas?

McDavid - 408pts
Draisaitl - 344pts
Pastrnak - 300pts

McDavid & Draisaitl rank #1 & #2 in production over the last 3 seasons among ALL players. Draisaitl has as many goals as Pastrnak does and McDavid has 8 less goals than Pastrnak. Is Skinner as good as Swayman? I wouldn't say so but he's not a bum either.

Skinner - 122GP / 71 W / 2.67 GAA / .910 SV% / 4 SO
Swayman - 122GP / 72 W / 2.41 GAA / .916 SV% / 10 SO

Skinner over the last 3 years among goalies with at least 80gp ranks

Wins - 18th
GAA - 11th
SV% - 14th
SO - 34th
GSAA - 16th

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Right now it has seemed Sweeney mistaken big players as “tough” players. My guess they wanted to emulate FL no nonsense aggressive style of board battles and net crashes. Problem is that is a mindset not size. I believe it’s why they look all out of sorts. I think the coach and GM expect one thing and the personalities of the players is another. So nothing is cohesive at the moment. Still early but this is probably the biggest concern I have.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Do you realize how much of an impact having a pair of top 3 players in the world offsets holes in other areas?

McDavid - 408pts
Draisaitl - 344pts
Pastrnak - 300pts

McDavid & Draisaitl rank #1 & #2 in production over the last 3 seasons among ALL players. Draisaitl has as many goals as Pastrnak does and McDavid has 8 less goals than Pastrnak. Is Skinner as good as Swayman? I wouldn't say so but he's not a bum either.

Skinner - 122GP / 71 W / 2.67 GAA / .910 SV% / 4 SO
Swayman - 122GP / 72 W / 2.41 GAA / .916 SV% / 10 SO

Skinner over the last 3 years among goalies with at least 80gp ranks

Wins - 18th
GAA - 11th
SV% - 14th
SO - 34th
GSAA - 16th

100% with this. Edmonton is a bad comparison for the Bruins for this reason. If we dropped Pasta and added McDavid and Draisaitl, how would any of us feel about our team's chances going forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad