Post-Game Talk: Game 7: Canucks 3, Flyers 2 - Raffl-copter Edition

Eric

Feb 20, 2003
Van
Iginla used to take draws for the flames all the time, but played on the wing. Doesn't make a difference really.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I think it's virtually impossible to take anything you say about Kesler seriously.

Agree about tryin him with Schroeder tho

What don't you agree with in that post?

He plays like a winger, and is not an effective play maker. Get him on the wing with someone feeding him the puck.

He's much more useful battling for space, and getting a quick shot off. For example, tonights second goal.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
That was an incredibly gutsy win. Sedins played an extremely strong two way game. Splitting up the Sedins seems to really cause the other team issues after they've gone two periods playing against both together.

My favorite moment was the Chris Tanev shot block in the 3rd when he threw himself in front of that Giroux shot.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Does anyone else think that Daniel Sedin hasn't been the same since the DK assault? Man, i hate that pos.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good battle to get the win against a bad team. Not a bad performance, but they should have put a lot more pressure on a bad goalie than they did in the first 45 minutes.

Reffing is a never-ending issue.

Playing the most undisciplined team in the league? Another game with 1 PP. 7 PP in the last 5 games. That non-call on the Tanev trip was inexcusable. Oh, and toss in a goal on a blatant hand-pass.

- Sedins had a poor first two periods, but Henrik again cranks it up in the third when they're split up.

- Kesler showed more jump early and was rewarded. Now on pace for 35 goals ... funny how small sample sizes work.

- that goal was huge for Higgins who looked like he was carrying a piano on his back. Hopefully he tears out of this game on a hot streak.

- Santorelli continues to work hard and be head-scratchingly good defensively given his previous poor reputation in that regard.

- Kassian had some good moments and good shifts tonight. Still needs to be better but was an overall positive.

- Schroeder had a couple OK passes but looked much like last year. As a rule, I never judge a player in their first 5 games back from an injury, though.

- Booth invisible. Probably his worst game of the season. 1 SOG for that line tonight is not enough.

- 4th line still barely playing despite 2/3 of it being on our 3rd line last week.

- Bieksa, Garrison had very strong games. Garrison was a tower tonight. Even though he didn't score, this was his best game of the season.

- Hamhuis better. Not great, but trending the right direction.

- Tanev saw his minutes go way up and handled them pretty strongly.

- Stanton-Weber did better than expected. Only 8 minutes for Weber but got through them pretty well.

- didn't look like Luongo was seeing the puck very well tonight but he battled through it well.

- I'm not a big fan of faceoffs as a stat, but 35-15 tonight is pretty impressive.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Given Kassian is getting up to speed with system and speed I though the had a decent game. He made some really nice passes again and had some good board work. Remember he didn't get the advantage of the last couple of preseason games when they started really practicing the system.

Schroeder received almost 11 minutes in icetime. I think Torts may like him or at least wants to give him a good look.

Sestito and Weise were the 5 minute guys tonight but Richardson and Kassian saw just under 10 minutes. Torts rode Kesler, Daniel, Henrik, Higgins and Santorelli...all with 20 or more (well higgins was 2 seconds short of 20). Hansen over 17.

I do want to say that I agree with the poster above on the Sedins. They've been putting forth a really good defensive effort.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Garrison played 28 and a half minutes tonight.

Even though the results aren't necessarily there (yet), it's nice to see more rational ice time allocation on the back end that responds to how the different guys are actually playing.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
We absolutely murdered them in faceoffs too.

I was just about to comment on this.

Henrik and Kesler just murdered Philly on the dot. Schroeder was the only guy who was below 70% (at 43%). I still think it might be best to put him on a line with Kesler, and if he's playing center just have Kesler take all the faceoffs.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
very veyr gutsy win. kesler 2 goals, higgins with a monkey off his back. i think torts should split the twins up for the duration of the road trip and see how well they do. makes the oppoisiton focus on trying to shut down 2 lines instead of 1 line.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Even though the results aren't necessarily there (yet), it's nice to see more rational ice time allocation on the back end that responds to how the different guys are actually playing.

We see it all through the lineup. Torts is going to ride 4 or 5 D-men for the night. Whoever is playing best is going to get 25+ minutes.

Up front he is going to go with 5 or 6 guys that flirt with the 20 minute mark. It again will depend somewhat on who is going. no doubt in my mind that if (somehow) Weise was having a great game he is out there for 15+ minutes. Much better way to do things.

Lin juggling is also better and has some rationale to it. Big contrast to "let's put Ebbett on the line and see what happens".

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Our line-up is so much more dynamic with Schroeder and Kassian - And when you pair that with Tortorella whom is willing to experiment shuffling the lines it makes a good combo.

And just a side note - F YOU Mason Raymond....

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
That was an incredibly gutsy win. Sedins played an extremely strong two way game. Splitting up the Sedins seems to really cause the other team issues after they've gone two periods playing against both together.

My favorite moment was the Chris Tanev shot block in the 3rd when he threw himself in front of that Giroux shot.

I'm sure teams build their entire gameplan around the Sedin's, so it doesn't surprise me we've been gaining momentum when splitting them up.

Now we've done it before for brief stints, but its never yielded these results.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Let's not get too excited here. We just barely managed a victory against the 2nd worst team in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad