GDT: Game 7: Avs @ Preds | Tuesday, October 17th, 6pm MT | Auditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
All the Landeskog bashing here makes me sick and strongly giving me the impression that some guys here simply don't have an understanding of the game yet. Forgetting that hockey actually is a team game and only being able to value assists and goals.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He's had an up and down start and Landeskog's game aging is a separate issue, but he would be valued so much more if the team was in a different situation. He's scored 2+2 in seven games to start and played tough minutes with a C on his chest. Too much of the pressure of turning the team around is being put on his individual play when people are souring on him.

I'm more anxious to see change in MacK and especially Rantanen's game at this time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I actually really like the way Bednar is using Landeskog honestly. Our forward group is not very good defensively overall. Landeskog is pretty good defensively, by far the best of the forwards. The pro's of Landy's defensive game with the cons of his offensive game makes me completely ok with them using him in a purely defensive role like they're doing right now. He has one of the lowest Ozone start percentages in the entire NHL and I think that's exactly the way it should be.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think the frustration is that Landy has 4 points, and none are at even strength. 2 on the power play, and 2 with the other teams net empty. He's being put in very tough spots defensively but you want to see more offense at even strength.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
He's had an up and down start and Landeskog's game aging is a separate issue, but he would be valued so much more if the team was in a different situation. He's scored 2+2 in seven games to start and played tough minutes with a C on his chest. Too much of the pressure of turning the team around is being put on his individual play when people are souring on him.

I'm more anxious to see change in MacK and especially Rantanen's game at this time.

Landeskog is also playing with two rookies in Compher and Jost. While I like both (especially Compher who has been good to start the season) Landy still needs to play a bit of "babysitter" against the toughest matchups in the league. I havent paid too much attention to it, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him back off a bit offensively to ensure that he's playing good defense with the young guys.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think Landeskog has actually been better this year, the third line defensive role suits him better. Though pretty funny to see him regress to that level after so many of us took offense to other fans calling him a third liner.

He isn't in a 3rd line role though. He averages top6 minutes at ES and is the number 1 forward used overall.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
All the Landeskog bashing here makes me sick and strongly giving me the impression that some guys here simply don't have an understanding of the game yet. Forgetting that hockey actually is a team game and only being able to value assists and goals.

Please enlighten me hockey lord.. I don’t think we are watching the same games for me I value Duchene higher yes he had a stupid penalty but he has been producing and had couple chance against Preds. IMO he was the only guy playing at Dallas. Landeskog should be stepping up you get paid like a top 6 player play like one and you’re the captain. That losing mentality might still be in the locker room. The way he plays isn’t enough to me he should be a difference maker not an energy guy. Maybe Avs should retry that Landy-Mack-Rantanen line to wake his offensive skills. Am I the only one who thinks that we are good in paper? Maybe not defensively tho hahah

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Please enlighten me hockey lord.. I don’t think we are watching the same games for me I value Duchene higher yes he had a stupid penalty but he has been producing and had couple chance against Preds. IMO he was the only guy playing at Dallas. Landeskog should be stepping up you get paid like a top 6 player play like one and you’re the captain. That losing mentality might still be in the locker room. The way he plays isn’t enough to me he should be a difference maker not an energy guy. Maybe Avs should retry that Landy-Mack-Rantanen line to wake his offensive skills. Am I the only one who thinks that we are good in paper? Maybe not defensively tho hahah

75% DZS%, good for 21st in the league

.9 ES GA/60, good for 78th in the league (70 players still at zero, 50 of which have played in half the games or less)

11:41 ES TOI - 4th on team, 2nd line equivalent.

The guy has been one of the most heavily used defensive players in the league, yet only 1 or 2 goals have been scored against us at EV when he is on the ice.

Like the OP said, there is more than just assists and goals to judge people by.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean, it's not wrong to criticize Landeskog's play. None of the forwards this season have been consistently good IMO. Landeskog just seems to look worse this season than he ever has with the puck, and that isn't a good sign. I'm happy with the production even though 2 of his 4 points came from empty net situations. He's playing well defensively and has been a physical presence every night. But it's not wrong to state the obvious with him.

I thought Compher was the best Avs forward last night. Consistently skating, generating shots, a couple of good chances on goal off the rush. Problem is J.T. Compher can't be your best forward if you expect to win games. There are at least 4 forwards on this team that should be better, and that's a big reason why we lost. Top line was awful.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Compher has enough talent to take over and win a game or two, we aren't talking about Como or something. Not that I disagree with the point that the core let everyone down this game but I've seen that stated a few times and doesn't make sense to me. A promising rookie who has one of the best shots on the team can't be your best forward any given night?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Compher has enough talent to take over and win a game or two, we aren't talking about Como or something. Not that I disagree with the point that the core let everyone down this game but I've seen that stated a few times and doesn't make sense to me. A promising rookie who has one of the best shots on the team can't be your best forward any given night?
Him playing the way he did last night wasn't a bad thing. But he didn't dominate. If he dominates and takes over a game, that's one thing but that didn't happen last night. That type of play is what I expect from Compher regularly. The problem was the other forwards were so bad that his regular play was not enough for the team to win the game last night.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
75% DZS%, good for 21st in the league

.9 ES GA/60, good for 78th in the league (70 players still at zero, 50 of which have played in half the games or less)

11:41 ES TOI - 4th on team, 2nd line equivalent.

The guy has been one of the most heavily used defensive players in the league, yet only 1 or 2 goals have been scored against us at EV when he is on the ice.

Like the OP said, there is more than just assists and goals to judge people by.

Then I guess he should replace Barberio at defense or even Johnson since he loves giving odd man rushes :(

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He isn't in a 3rd line role though. He averages top6 minutes at ES and is the number 1 forward used overall.

He's also being deployed primarily in a defensive role.

75% defensive zone starts. That's ridiculous for a forward. It's near impossible to generate 5 on 5 offence from that type of usage. He's also not being played with naturally offensive players.

Landeskog is doing pretty much exactly what should be expected of any player with that kind of deployment/usage.

He's getting points because he's on the ice in the last minutes when they're in the lead, and he's getting rewarded with some PP minutes for being absolutely abused in zone starts at 5 on 5.

Btw, not being contrarian to you. Just adding to you as I know you're in the same position for this debate.

Reactions: Foppberg

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought the game was close in the first two periods, but the Nashville capitalized on the Avs mistakes.

Erik Johnson had a couple bad pinches. The first line was invisible.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's also being deployed primarily in a defensive role.

75% defensive zone starts. That's ridiculous for a forward. It's near impossible to generate 5 on 5 offence from that type of usage. He's also not being played with naturally offensive players.

Landeskog is doing pretty much exactly what should be expected of any player with that kind of deployment/usage.

He's getting points because he's on the ice in the last minutes when they're in the lead, and he's getting rewarded with some PP minutes for being absolutely abused in zone starts at 5 on 5.

Btw, not being contrarian to you. Just adding to you as I know you're in the same position for this debate.

Let's slow down a little here. We're all aware of the heavy defensive role Landeskog plays and that 25% ozone start percentage is pretty crazy. But let's not act like every shift starts with a faceoff. It's not near impossible to generate 5v5 offense because a high percentage of your faceoff starts are in your own zone. It limits it, absolutely, but most NHL shifts start on the fly.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In an ideal world the Avs would have more and better defensive forwards to allow Landy to play up more, but right now they don't. He has to be that guy. I was as frustrated as everyone else when he didn't pass or shoot on that 3-on-1 but I'm not really that disappointed in his play thus far.

Rantanen is a different story however.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Again, this game was more of Avs beating themselves than Preds beating the Avs. They played a solid game, took a lead, then as happened so many times last season, they just lost concentration or something, d-men pinching wrong time on a tying goal, then Duchene just flipping the puck over the boards, and Landeskog taking a unnecessary slashing penalty putting the team down 2 men, and that was pretty much game. I mean those are all unforced errors and mistakes that should not happen. At least if you gonna lose a game, make the opposition beat you, don't beat yourselves.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Let's slow down a little here. We're all aware of the heavy defensive role Landeskog plays and that 25% ozone start percentage is pretty crazy. But let's not act like every shift starts with a faceoff. It's not near impossible to generate 5v5 offense because a high percentage of your faceoff starts are in your own zone. It limits it, absolutely, but most NHL shifts start on the fly.
No, you're right, not all his shifts start with a faceoff. But between the d-zone starts AND the amount of times he jumps on he ice with the other team having possession further compounds the problem. Not to mention, what type of lines is the other team deploying when they're taking faceoffs in the offensive zone?

It's clear what the coaching staff is expecting of that line. Goal prevention, and to move the faceoff into the neutral or offensive zone. They're being purely used to give the other two lines the opportunity to score.

Are there other players in the league with that kind of zone usage doing significantly better at 5 on 5 scoring? I'd love to see a list, I'm legitimately curious.

There is definitely a bone to pick with landeskog s numbers over the years, that much is obvious. But this season, this usage, is IMO the wrong time to complain about it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That 3 on 1 in the 3rd where Landeskog neither pass nor shot and just skated the puck behind the goal line was a thing of beauty.

That was gif worthy. I cant recall if that was the beginning, middle or end of his shift. I would give him slack if that was the end of his shift but even if that's the case he needs to move that puck about 5 seconds before he decided to do nothing with it. That was as ugly a 3 on 1 as I have seen in a long time and just adds to people frustration when it comes to Landys offensive game these days especially at ES. Having said that Landy did play well the previous 3 games imo moreso then Rantanen for instance but we still need a hell of a lot more from him and a bunch of other guys at ES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad