Post-Game Talk: GAME #69: Canucks 2 vs. Golden Knights 6

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I hardly go on HFBoards at all (I think this account is several years (or months) old with no posts) but holy **** its annoying on Reddit right now. Any criticism of Benning gets thumbed down and then hidden and I have 2 guys following me around calling me a paid bot and talking about how my anti-Benning arguments are like a computer wrote them. It's just....****...

By whom do they think you are paid?

Reddit is an irreedemable trash pile. Brainless drones posting the same unfunny memes over and over again. You would have more engaging conversation talking about the canucks with a head of lettuce.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
By whom do they think you are paid?

Reddit is an irreedemable trash pile. Brainless drones posting the same unfunny memes over and over again. You would have more engaging conversation talking about the canucks with a head of lettuce.

I use reddit for when I'm on the shitter. I figure it's appropriate.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Canucks reddit page is a hub for ultra casual fans who don't realize how much of the organization is predicated in off-ice affairs.

It's the ideal dwelling for people who tune until the next game as soon as the buzzer sounds. Unfortunately, I'd think the r/Canucks poster is far more representative of the average fan, they just don't care enough to dig into the meat of the team and obsess over every transaction and small detail like most people on here do.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Had a last second opportunity to get to mainland and make the game and watch a legimately good team (Vegas) play for once.

Canucks were absolutely pathetic and had lost the fans in about 10 minutes. Easily 1k empty seats in lower bowl alone. A lot of people just sitting there shaking their head.

Vegas completely owned them then started resting up for their real game in Calgary.

When Markstrom doesn’t play Vézina level, this team’s true colors show.

Loui Eriksson is a ghost. Beagle and Motte at least try.

The win from getting rid of Gudbranson is maybe not as big as originally thought since we had to take on Pearson. He can’t stay with the play and it’s not like the Canucks are a fast team to begin with.

Quinn Hughes ain’t going to save this mess. Roster still needs a 75% gut and overhaul. We dont have enough good prospects in the system to fix this anytime soon.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Had a last second opportunity to get to mainland and make the game and watch a legimately good team (Vegas) play for once.

Canucks were absolutely pathetic and had lost the fans in about 10 minutes. Easily 1k empty seats in lower bowl alone. A lot of people just sitting their shaking their head.

Vegas completely owned them then started resting up for their real game in Calgary.

When Markstrom doesn’t play Vézina level, this team’s true colors show.

Loui Eriksson is a ghost. Beagle and Motte at least try.

The win from getting rid of Gudbranson is maybe not as big as originally thought since we had to take on Pearson. He can’t stay with the play and it’s not like the Canucks are a fast team to begin with.

Quinn Hughes ain’t going to save this mess. Roster still needs a 75% gut and overhaul. We dont have enough good prospects in the system to fix this anytime soon.

Could you go into more detail about what the atmosphere was like?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Could you go into more detail about what the atmosphere was like?

I was in lower bowl club section so lots of long time season ticket holder types. Most just silently shaking their head, a lot of “here we go again” looks to their seat mates. Older guys muttering “hit him!” under their breath.

They tried doing the dumb Viking Clap when the team was down 6-2 in the third, completely misread the atmosphere of the arena on that one. Very low participation on that.

A lot of chuckles when they played the “We are relentless, we don’t give up” clip on the Jumbotron mid game.

People heading for the exits en masse after 10 min mark of the third.

Didn’t hear any Fire Benning chants but saw the stories about security shutting them down elsewhere. Surprised there weren’t more boo birds in final minute to be honest, another pathetic game by a pathetically built team.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I was in lower bowl club section so lots of long time season ticket holder types. Most just silently shaking their head, a lot of “here we go again” looks to their seat mates. Older guys muttering “hit him!” under their breath.

They tried doing the dumb Viking Clap when the team was down 6-2 in the third, completely misread the atmosphere of the arena on that one. Very low participation on that.

A lot of chuckles when they played the “We are relentless, we don’t give up” clip on the Jumbotron mid game.

People heading for the exits en masse after 10 min mark of the third.

Didn’t hear any Fire Benning chants but saw the stories about security shutting them down elsewhere. Surprised there weren’t more boo birds in final minute to be honest, another pathetic game by a pathetically built team.

People just need to stop going to games. The best message we can send as a fanbase is we aren't willing to pay to watch this shit on a nightly basis.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What really gets me, is that Shea Theodore should have been the young d-man the Canucks demanded in the Kesler trade with the Ducks. Either that, or hold out for a top-10 pick. Thanks to Linden and Benning, they got neither.

And of course the Ducks lost Theodore to Vegas in the expansion draft anyway after the Canucks 'settled' for Sbisa. I suppose that first major trade by Benning should have given us a clue about what was going to unfold in the next four years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What really gets me, is that Shea Theodore should have been the young d-man the Canucks demanded in the Kesler trade with the Ducks. Either that, or hold out for a top-10 pick. Thanks to Linden and Benning, they got neither.

And of course the Ducks lost Theodore to Vegas in the expansion draft anyway after the Canucks 'settled' for Sbisa. I suppose that first major trade by Benning should have given us a clue about what was going to unfold in the next four years.

We should have gotten Rakell and Theodore to be honest. Forget about the 24th, just get two quality pieces instead of quantity of trash.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We should have gotten Rakell and Theodore to be honest. Forget about the 24th, just get two quality pieces instead of quantity of trash.

But that 24th pick got us McCann,who got us Gudbranson,who got us Pearson.
It's the Benning equivalent of Chia trading Eberle for Strome,who got them Spooner who got them Gagner.

We should trade the Pearson to the Oil and get Gags back just to complete the circle of life.

Reactions: timw33 and B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not much doubt about it.....looking back on the Kesler deal, the return of Bonino, Sbisa and the 24th overall pick (McCann) was just awful. And of course Jimbo 'doubled down' on it by trading Bonino and his affordable contract, along with a second rounder, to Pittsburgh for Sutter.

And completing the 'cycle of life' as you so aptly put it, he re-upped both Sutter and Sbisa to ridiculous contracts with term. Vegas took pity on us by taking Sbisa in the expansion draft, and of course Sutter loses most of his NTC protection this summer, so hopefully they can finally dump that contract as well.

But sadly you could see a pattern developing....even then.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not much doubt about it.....looking back on the Kesler deal, the return of Bonino, Sbisa and the 24th overall pick (McCann) was just awful. And of course Jimbo 'doubled down' on it by trading Bonino and his affordable contract, along with a second rounder, to Pittsburgh for Sutter.

And completing the 'cycle of life' as you so aptly put it, he re-upped both Sutter and Sbisa to ridiculous contracts with term. Vegas took pity on us by taking Sbisa in the expansion draft, and of course Sutter loses most of his NTC protection this summer, so hopefully they can finally dump that contract as well.

But sadly you could see a pattern developing....even then.
It's not even the original deal I care that much about anymore. Kes was a malcontent who had to go, fine. He went and Benning got what he got. I'm fully prepared to give him a mulligan for that.

It's when you follow the players and whole transaction chain that followed from it and see how Benning frittered away value and assets at every step and kept on over-valuing the wrong people and making brain-dead player evaluations does the full picture of Benning's ineptitude really come to life.

Oh, and a day later, this game was still three hours out of my life that I'll never get back.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's not even the original deal I care that much about anymore. Kes was a malcontent who had to go, fine. He went and Benning got what he got. I'm fully prepared to give him a mulligan for that.

It's when you follow the players and whole transaction chain that followed from it and see how Benning frittered away value and assets at every step and kept on over-valuing the wrong people and making brain-dead player evaluations does the full picture of Benning's ineptitude really come to life.

Oh, and a day later, this game was still three hours out of my life that I'll never get back.

100%.

The kesler trade for me, whatever. Difficult situation to deal with, Benning had just started, we don't really know how leaning on kesler more would have turned out. It stinks that we didn't get anyone who is helping the team, today, but I'm fully prepared to excuse Benning for that one.

Except.

Then he watched Sbisa stink it up for 75% of a season and decided to give him a new three year contract. Then he watched Nick Bonino have one mediocre playoffs and decided he needed to trade him for Sutter because "you win with players like Sutter." then he decided to trade McCann for one of the worst players in the entire league. Then he watched that player stink for two more seasons and signed him to a new 3 year contract. And on. And on. And on. I've never seen someone so consistently f*** up literally every step of the process and just continue to make things worse.

If the Kesler trade were some outlier nobody would care about it anymore.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
100%.

The kesler trade for me, whatever. Difficult situation to deal with, Benning had just started, we don't really know how leaning on kesler more would have turned out. It stinks that we didn't get anyone who is helping the team, today, but I'm fully prepared to excuse Benning for that one.

Except.

Then he watched Sbisa stink it up for 75% of a season and decided to give him a new three year contract. Then he watched Nick Bonino have one mediocre playoffs and decided he needed to trade him for Sutter because "you win with players like Sutter." then he decided to trade McCann for one of the worst players in the entire league. Then he watched that player stink for two more seasons and signed him to a new 3 year contract. And on. And on. And on. I've never seen someone so consistently **** up literally every step of the process and just continue to make things worse.

If the Kesler trade were some outlier nobody would care about it anymore.

For mine the Kesler trade summed up everything wrong with Benning and his logic. He went for roster filler in Bonino and Sbisa instead of futures. Bonino is decent, but he could have gone to the UFA market or grabbed an expendable 2/3C like Perrault, while pocketing two or three good rebuilding pieces. Let's not even get into just how pathetic his evaulation of Sbisa as a top 4 defenseman was.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching those Vegas highlights again, I'd be very leery about signing Edler to anything other than two years. He strikes me as the kind of player that once things go south in his game, they don't ever come back.

He's already admitted that since returning from his concussion, 'he's had trouble getting his legs under him'. That was certainly evident on the fourth Vegas goal.

But of course Jimbo never reads or takes any advice from these boards.....so I've almost resigned myself to another three year deal.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

My memory says I wasn't a fan... but I was only lurking here at the time, not posting so I can't back that up for the ego stroke.

I do recall not being thrilled with Gillis being let go, especially what felt like very unceremoniously... God, that f***ing Tortorella season was shit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Watching those Vegas highlights again, I'd be very leery about signing Edler to anything other than two years. He strikes me as the kind of player that once things go south in his game, they don't ever come back.

He's already admitted that since returning from his concussion, 'he's had trouble getting his legs under him'. That was certainly evident on the fourth Vegas goal.

But of course Jimbo never reads or takes any advice from these boards.....so I've almost resigned myself to another three year deal.

oh-good-lord-please-say-you-are-not-serious.jpg

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

Yeah,the return on that deal would have been decent (given the situation) if Sbisa had been a serviceable,if somewhat overpaid,middle pairing defenseman but Benning and our pro scouts hacked up another fur ball and we got a guy with great tools but no toolbox who definitely played his part in sending the team into the death spiral that we haven't recovered from.

The rest of your post is spot on as well.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad