5. New York R
6. Ottawa
7. Boston
8. Toronto

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
What did I just watch? Couple of questionable calls but most of the penalties were legit...

Incredible play by Jones on what looked like a 1 on 4. That was one of those plays that show you why the guy is so good.

Despite not giving up a lot of shots given all the penalties, I thought the 5 on 5 play was a little suspect on the defensive end... lots of quality opportunities for the Flyers. The PK was good overall, though.

I'm still not a Mason fan.

Good job of finding a way to win despite some massive (self-inflicted) obstacles. On to the next one...

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Crosby runs into Elliott's glove and knocks puck out into net. Flames challenge, but refs allow tying goal.

Now on to Shootout. At least no Row for Pens.

Flames win SO. CBJ only 1 point out of league lead.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Torts actually pretty happy after the game

I believe he is continuing to coach himself in these situations, too. He is modeling the behavior he believes his players need to have. Maetzold offered him opportunities and he didn't take them.

You could tell on the bench during the second he was getting frustrated with the play/penalties. But he held it together and recast the situation in his post-game remarks given that the team won.

We'll see what happens come playoff time, but I've been impressed with Torts and his ability to not only coach (I had no doubt he could do that) but also to chart a course for a team that was learning about itself and ultimately, how to win.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Two more for Cam. Terrific. I hope he can get on a hot streak here and add another 10 goals before the end of the season to remove Nash's name from the Franchise leader's list. I think Nash's highest total was 41.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Two more for Cam. Terrific. I hope he can get on a hot streak here and add another 10 goals before the end of the season to remove Nash's name from the Franchise leader's list. I think Nash's highest total was 41.

I'd like it more if he did it next year! :nod:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well sure. No problem if Cam goes over 40 two years in a row !!!

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I believe he is continuing to coach himself in these situations, too. He is modeling the behavior he believes his players need to have. Maetzold offered him opportunities and he didn't take them.

You could tell on the bench during the second he was getting frustrated with the play/penalties. But he held it together and recast the situation in his post-game remarks given that the team won.

We'll see what happens come playoff time, but I've been impressed with Torts and his ability to not only coach (I had no doubt he could do that) but also to chart a course for a team that was learning about itself and ultimately, how to win.

This is a good point about Torts. He is in the midst of remaking himself. It has been discussed on this board especially after his hire how he would make it all about himself and the situation would turn into another Tortorella side show.

Early in the season, Torts would engage with Porty or Reed during press conferences. Maetzold mainly asked softballs, probably because Maetz didn't want to poke Torts too much being in close proximity all season. As time went on, Torts would catch himself and say, you're not going to draw me in. He also started saying he wouldn't dissect the game in the presser. In years past anything was in fair territory after games, or anytime for that matter.

Since the "meeting", that was supposedly about more than the team wanting Torts to be more positive about the state of the Jackets, Torts has reeled it in even more, win or lose.

Torts whether you liked the hire or not, has been going through a change that has the team playing to full potential, most nights and made the CBJ better.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Torts whether you liked the hire or not, has been going through a change that has the team playing to full potential, most nights and made the CBJ better.

I was not a fan of the hire, and made no bones about it. I'm glad to have been wrong, although my concerns about Torts were the things that he has changed his approach, so... meet in the middle, so to speak.

I'm not saying he has changed, necessarily, or that the "old Torts" is a bad coach. I'm saying that there appears to be a clear plan to build a winning franchise, dare I say organization, and I believe this thoughtful Torts is part of it. I don't believe he feels the team is above criticism. I do believe he is not interested in publicly dissecting the minutiae, because doing so doesn't fit the bigger picture.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I was not a fan of the hire, and made no bones about it. I'm glad to have been wrong, although my concerns about Torts were the things that he has changed his approach, so... meet in the middle, so to speak.

I'm not saying he has changed, necessarily, or that the "old Torts" is a bad coach. I'm saying that there appears to be a clear plan to build a winning franchise, dare I say organization, and I believe this thoughtful Torts is part of it. I don't believe he feels the team is above criticism. I do believe he is not interested in publicly dissecting the minutiae, because doing so doesn't fit the bigger picture.

It'd be kind of cool to have a coach for longer than 3-4 years.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

I too was adamant about not hiring Torts. Good news is that it appears I was wrong and it looks like he has changed some behaviors. There was never any doubt that he is a good coach. The concerns were about how he relates to players. It seems that he has made the most of his opportunity and I am very happy as a fan and for him personally. I think he knows this was his last shot in the NHL and that can be a great motivator.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008

I was glad he was hired, with caution. I understand how anyone could dislike the hire from his previous behavior. I believe his approach was to change his way of handling people, from players, press, everyday fans etc. He knew this had to change or he wouldn't be long for any job in the NHL.

His coaching style, philosophy and system along with the very good young players in the organization have come together and done the best this team ever has. I can't wait for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad