GDT: Game 67: Wingin' It | Red Wings @ Blackhawks | 3/6/2016 | 4:30 PM CST | CSN-CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But why practice at all?Seems to me they did great without practices in the 12 game win streak way back..PP is great..Do not need any practice on that..ES play stinks because they refuse to exert and refuse to focus ...Maybe I am wrong for blaming their lazy Country Club displays of putrid ES play ...which,because it is the vast majority of game time,means they play most of the games without purpose and effort...on them choosing to be lazy? Maybe it jus is a natural players reaction to trusting CC to bail them out for poor play in front of him AND also natural psychological response to Knowing they can get goals and wins just from the PP if CC keeps bailing them.out..My god! WE have clearly become a draped power play only team...This means we easy up in ES play and only come to life in more open ice when you have to work far less to score. ..BUT the old hockey idea of Power Play Dominant clubs who are meh to bad in ES play are predictable Losers in playoffs because less PPS are called MAY prove true with us this time and if so..NO CUP for us?

There is a fine line with practice because you want to keep the team fresh but you need to work on shoring up systems/units.

Practice will also help Crawford stay sharp and Darling to get some much needed shots. One could argue that high intensity practices is most important for the goalies with our current schedule because we have big gaps in our games.

So do we give them days off or do we practice a little more? I would say practice a bit more so they can get their legs ready to play every other day.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There is a fine line with practice because you want to keep the team fresh but you need to work on shoring up systems/units.

Practice will also help Crawford stay sharp and Darling to get some much needed shots. One could argue that high intensity practices is most important for the goalies with our current schedule because we have big gaps in our games.

So do we give them days off or do we practice a little more? I would say practice a bit more so they can get their legs ready to play every other day.

After our games against St. Louis and Dallas. I'd like to see Darling get a lot more reps and Crow take some time off for the stretch drive. Just make something up and say Corey has an upper body injury.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
Great win? Hardly "Great"...CC 1st star ..2nd Star ... 3rd star..We did play like garbage ...and lazy garbage to boot. Got early 2 goal lead because Mazel did not have it tonight...got yanked. .Then we made Howard lol like he would get bored as we had no desire to get pucks and then attack ..2 goal early lead ...their goalie pulled and we ALL (except CC) repaired to the Country Club..How Q tolerates this lazy do not care no desire to play hard attitude is beyond me..Seems he just invites them in to his Country Club..So then because CC holds the fort till we get a PP goal then add another deflection goal on re-directed pull away 4-1 ..well tge score flatters what actually took place on the ice. ..We were sloppy ...lazy..giving pucks away like we did not want it...losing races fir loose pucks..loosing puck battles when we did get there...horrible clearing fails ..and overall a panoply of putrid ness that was textbook 8n how NOT to play the game..There is no lesson to be learned because we won 4-1 ..but we STINKERS. ..again! AND a 4-1 victory only re-enforces that this kind of putrid play is OK ...again long as CC bails us out and we win...It is a bad way to think you can play hockey this way..Smoke and Mirrors..and I find it disgusting g to watch as Q let's them get away with such lazy it does not matter till playoffs...if we win we win..if we lose we lose. .but we will not Exert hockey ..While we are sleepwalking to the finish line...Anaheim. Goes 18-1-1 in their last 20...playing with purpose...and nd Nashvilke 8s not coast g with points in a 12 of their last dozen games..Coearly some teams provide g what you can accomplish with purpose ..The Hawks simply do not care to. Play very hard ...if e split half the remaining scheduke we will probably claim satisfaction.. Toews gets credit for a goal and Anisimov..neither shot the puck for the goal..some nights the bounces/deflections go in..but how many shots did our top 3 centers take?Not many..They all did very little to impress me thus game ..but hard to single them out when just about everyone in front of CC did not come out to play except for a few minutes of tge game..It was another putrid effort that we have see far too much of since the 12 game win streak way back when..But it is what it is...Live by the CC bail out and the PP....as for ES play..forget about working hard ..3 periods of compete? FORGET IT...LUCKY IF WE GET 10/60 minutes of "work" from this bunch ...Seems they are not capable of exerting g any more than that ..and lucky if we get even that from them.A win ...but hardly hardly "great".

Ugh. Just ugh.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
But why practice at all?Seems to me they did great without practices in the 12 game win streak way back..PP is great..Do not need any practice on that..ES play stinks because they refuse to exert and refuse to focus ...Maybe I am wrong for blaming their lazy Country Club displays of putrid ES play ...which,because it is the vast majority of game time,means they play most of the games without purpose and effort...on them choosing to be lazy? Maybe it jus is a natural players reaction to trusting CC to bail them out for poor play in front of him AND also natural psychological response to Knowing they can get goals and wins just from the PP if CC keeps bailing them.out..My god! WE have clearly become a draped power play only team...This means we easy up in ES play and only come to life in more open ice when you have to work far less to score. ..BUT the old hockey idea of Power Play Dominant clubs who are meh to bad in ES play are predictable Losers in playoffs because less PPS are called MAY prove true with us this time and if so..NO CUP for us?

Here are some positives:
* Toews' offensive game looks like it's waking up with Ladd on the wing. I can't wait to see Hossa mixed in. It's the type of line that scores a lot of gritty goals that you need in the playoffs.
* Shaw will play with Kruger and Desi again. They work well together. Shaw is not the type of finisher you need to play on the top 6. But against the bottom 6, he thrives.
* Gus seems to have found a role on the PP and Seabrook. He's getting better.
* TVR can play with both Rosi or Hoff. He's decent on the penalty kill.
* Corey's good.
* TT looks far more comfortable at center than wing.

=> No, we're not there yet. The Hawks are still a work in progress. But we're finally starting to see a plan in regards to the Toews's line, the bottom 6, and our bottom defensive paring. I think the Hawks are on schedule.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Here are some positives:
* Toews' offensive game looks like it's waking up with Ladd on the wing. I can't wait to see Hossa mixed in. It's the type of line that scores a lot of gritty goals that you need in the playoffs.
* Shaw will play with Kruger and Desi again. They work well together. Shaw is not the type of finisher you need to play on the top 6. But against the bottom 6, he thrives.
* Gus seems to have found a role on the PP and Seabrook. He's getting better.
* TVR can play with both Rosi or Hoff. He's decent on the penalty kill.
* Corey's good.
* TT looks far more comfortable at center than wing.

=> No, we're not there yet. The Hawks are still a work in progress. But we're finally starting to see a plan in regards to the Toews's line, the bottom 6, and our bottom defensive paring. I think the Hawks are on schedule.

So are you telling me Q woke the **** up and paired him with Seabs on the PP? That move was obvious MONTHS ago. Anything to get Keith off the PP units would be a huge bonus.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Not a pretty one but we needed it, on to the next one.....Crow with another solid game, his positioning in net has never been better.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So are you telling me Q woke the **** up and paired him with Seabs on the PP? That move was obvious MONTHS ago. Anything to get Keith off the PP units would be a huge bonus.

no... that didn't occur, what makes you think that?

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
Good, solid win again over Detroit. Thought the Hawks got outplayed in the 2nd period, but it didn't really matter because Detroit wasn't able to score.

Good work overall on blue lien and scoring.

Big games coming up now that the Hawks absolutely need to win to start creating some separation from the central teams. St. Louis on Wednesday, win would be big as it would a 3 or 4 pt swing.

Then Dallas on Friday which would be yet another potential 3 or 4 pt swing. Gotta win that one as well.

The LA game isn't as important but I'd hope they'd win that being that it is at the UC, and the Kings are right there on our hip as the Ducks are too.

In short: Keep winning.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013

Keith and Seabrook were on the ice together for both PP goals so I don't know much about this Gus Seabrook PP pairing.

As far as Keith goes, I already mentioned that he was on the ice for both PP goals and of course had one of the goals so I'm not sure why your complaining about him. For the year he actually has a slight edge over Seabrook in PPP/game so he is nowhere near as inept as you make him out to be.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Fiddy, why do you get so hung up on the "country club" if it's in meaningless regular season games? Wouldn't you want guys to be rested up for the playoffs?

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Keith and Seabrook were on the ice together for both PP goals so I don't know much about this Gus Seabrook PP pairing.

As far as Keith goes, I already mentioned that he was on the ice for both PP goals and of course had one of the goals so I'm not sure why your complaining about him. For the year he actually has a slight edge over Seabrook in PPP/game so he is nowhere near as inept as you make him out to be.

I agree. For all his indecisiveness theres no one better at keeping the puck in at the blue line which helps a lot on the power play

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

Nope. It's becoming pretty clear that you don't actually watch the games. Keith also has a huge lead with Panarin tied for 3rd in power play points.

CoachQ

Aug 23, 2014
Tinley Park, IL.

So you would change up a power play unit that's currently running at 48% the past few games and is either first or second overall in the league? Yeah that's pretty smart. Zac, you're hysterical.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I loved the first 5 minutes of this game and especially the last 15 minutes or so .... but Hawks were outplayed for the rest. A lovely deflection goal by Anisimov turned the tide and Corey stands tall.

A win is a win but Hawks need to work on winning more key faceoffs. Even Toews is losing his fair share in important situations, often on the PK or PP.

That's the type of thing that catches up to you in PO hockey.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
I loved the first 5 minutes of this game and especially the last 15 minutes or so .... but Hawks were outplayed for the rest. A lovely deflection goal by Anisimov turned the tide and Corey stands tall.

A win is a win but Hawks need to work on winning more key faceoffs. Even Toews is losing his fair share in important situations, often on the PK or PP.

But we don't miss Kruger right?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Yeah. Kruger's percentage looks good on paper, as does Toews, but Kruger too loses his fair share of key face-offs on the PK. Hawks need to clean that up. Losing a draw is one thing, but losing cleanly is quite another, and it happens too often in the crunch.

Queue the stats guys who are bound to disagree.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah. Kruger's percentage looks good on paper, as does Toews, but Kruger too loses his fair share of key face-offs on the PK. Hawks need to clean that up. Losing a draw is one thing, but losing cleanly is quite another, and it happens too often in the crunch.

Last season his DZ FO% was 3 points lower than Toews. This season, Kruger was at 45.5% in the DZ, 5 points lower than his mark last season.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago

Why bother with evidence when all you need is your own confirmation bias

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

:laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yup, let's ***** about Keith on the PP, just like every other year. Except this year, we are a top team on the PP, and Keith is a top PP player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Last season his DZ FO% was 3 points lower than Toews. This season, Kruger was at 45.5% in the DZ, 5 points lower than his mark last season.

Why bother with evidence when all you need is your own confirmation bias

The fact that JT is losing more draws I think is partial proof how big the faceoff rule change influences the game. Having to show your hand first kills chances to win a draw.

I wonder what the difference is for the defensive team and the offensive team? Would it be safe to assume that the offensive team is a few points higher than last year (and obviously the defensive team is a few points lower)?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The fact that JT is losing more draws I think is partial proof how big the faceoff rule change influences the game. Having to show your hand first kills chances to win a draw.

I wonder what the difference is for the defensive team and the offensive team? Would it be safe to assume that the offensive team is a few points higher than last year (and obviously the defensive team is a few points lower)?

The stats don't matter, it's about what you see on the ice, don't you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad