GDT: Game 66: Columbus @ Minnesota | 8 PM ET

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Also people acting like this is some sort of tell-tale game when like three weeks ago we played the same team at home and almost the exact same thing happened but in reverse. We scored with 30 seconds left and won in OT. So season series looks pretty much 50-50.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
We play Minnesota twice a year. Not really a good idea to try and “match up “ with them.
I tend to agree with you. No need to overreact to one game. While I do think we could use a tough guy - another Nick Foligno type - the Wild are an exception to most teams and let’s remember, the scoreboard is what matters and both games went to OT and a split.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also people acting like this is some sort of tell-tale game when like three weeks ago we played the same team at home and almost the exact same thing happened but in reverse. We scored with 30 seconds left and won in OT.
That was also a tell-tale game. I said at the time that despite the win, we had a fundamental problem. We got outplayed and badly outmatched physically.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Sure let's get more toughness to our roster but please don't bring in Dalton Prout or McQuaid -like turnover machine.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That was also a tell-tale game. I said at the time that despite the win, we had a fundamental problem. We got outplayed and badly outmatched physically.
Worse losses recently to the Caps and Pens pointed up a skill shortage. We couldn’t hang with teams that could skate pass and shoot. We should look at add those kinds of players too.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Worse losses recently to the Caps and Pens pointed up a skill shortage. We couldn’t hang with teams that could skate pass and shoot. We should look at add those kinds of players too.
Nobody like that who is in Cleveland. Size and physicality on the other hand...

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Sure let's get more toughness to our roster but please don't bring in Dalton Prout or McQuaid -like turnover machine.
Wait - I know let’s trade for a 3rd round 5’11 defensemen 175lbs that probably won’t make it to the NHL. Too soon??

Before people start flaming I am being sarcastic

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We play Minnesota twice a year. Not really a good idea to try and “match up “ with them.
If we play with though teams we have problems. Also every team that wants to be successful also needs similar players. Of course, they can't be the majority, but a quality center who can play aggressively would be a good fit.

Same defense. If our toughest d-man are considered to be Peeke and Gavrikov, who flies away from hard-playing players like, figuratively speaking, a rag doll, to use Hamlet's phrase, something is rotten in the Danish state.

In addition, the position of the real center is important. Regarding comparisons to the Pens, Caps, or Wild. Those teams are more experienced, our defense is babyland. By the way, Kuznetsov played winger in the KHL.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Another game I couldn't catch but what on earth is that 'defense' on the OT goal :D Why does Kukan feel it's suddenly his job to leap in and chase the puck carrier, leaving his guy completely open right in front of the net. Maybe they had a master plan I'm not privy to, but seems just a really bizarre decision.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Another game I couldn't catch but what on earth is that 'defense' on the OT goal :D Why does Kukan feel it's suddenly his job to leap in and chase the puck carrier, leaving his guy completely open right in front of the net. Maybe they had a master plan I'm not privy to, but seems just a really bizarre decision.

I think Kukan made the right choice there, and Voracek should have stayed with Spurgeon. If Kukan doesn't take Fiala there, then Spurgeon can push right into Voracek and give Fiala a ton of time and space for a shot. Fiala was Kukan's guy all the way up the ice, by the way. It was Voracek who went for the switch.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I think Kukan made the right choice there, and Voracek should have stayed with Spurgeon. If Kukan doesn't take Fiala there, then Spurgeon can push right into Voracek and give Fiala a ton of time and space for a shot. Fiala was Kukan's guy all the way up the ice, by the way. It was Voracek who went for the switch.
That was my take too. Jake’s decisions in the last two OTs haven’t been good.

Reactions: cslebn

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
First, I didn’t see any of the game last night. But I find this thread interesting that people are seemingly wanting to base roster choices to “match” the Minnesota Wild. Not saying we don’t need a guy or two like Foligno or Dubinsky, but I also am assuming some of the comments here were heat-of-the-moment/emotional.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
First, I didn’t see any of the game last night. But I find this thread interesting that people are seemingly wanting to base roster choices to “match” the Minnesota Wild. Not saying we don’t need a guy or two like Foligno or Dubinsky, but I also am assuming some of the comments here were heat-of-the-moment/emotional.
Only one person said that and they were twisting words to mean something that it didn't. Let's talk about all the other games where we've been challenged physically and had no response beyond Boone and Peeke. Nobody making opponents pay the price for being in our blue paint or taking a cheap shot on us along the boards. This is not a Minnesota thing, it's a Jackets thing.

We're a young, fast, strong-willed finesse team with a shortage of snarl and talent at center and defense. Add that to a slightly above average starting goalie and barely NHL caliber backup and frankly, it's amazing we have the record we do. I credit this coaching staff for doing a terrific job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu and LJ7

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Only one person said that and they were twisting words to mean something that it didn't. Let's talk about all the other games where we've been challenged physically and had no response beyond Boone and Peeke. Nobody making opponents pay the price for being in our blue paint or taking a cheap shot on us along the boards. This is not just a Minnesota thing, it's a Jackets thing.

We're a young, fast, strong-willed finesse team with a shortage of snarl and talent at center and defense. Add that to a slightly above average starting goalie and barely NHL caliber backup and frankly, it's amazing we have the record we do. I credit this coaching staff for doing a terrific job.
That's fine, but we also don't need to overstate/over-compensate the "problem" and my read on this thread is that that's what some are doing based largely on the two Minnesota games, as well as a few others thrown in. It seems we're all in agreement we could use at least one or two more guys like a Foligno or Calvert or Dubinsky or Anderson. But we also don't need Foligno AND Calvert AND Dubinsky AND Anderson. This is still 2022 NHL, not 2002.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's fine, but we also don't need to overstate/over-compensate the "problem" and my read on this thread is that that's what some are doing based largely on the two Minnesota games, as well as a few others thrown in. It seems we're all in agreement we could use at least one or two more guys like a Foligno or Calvert or Dubinsky or Anderson. But we also don't need Foligno AND Calvert AND Dubinsky AND Anderson. This is still 2022 NHL, not 2002.

It's not based on the Minnesota games. I've been saying this stuff for two years.

Foligno, Calvert, Dubinsky, and Anderson were all valuable players five years ago. They'd still all be valuable now if they were in their primes. The league hasn't changed that much in five years. The playoffs hasn't changed at all. That Greenway - JEE - Foligno line is going to dominate in the playoffs.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The physicality thing is an issue, we've talked about it a few times this year. But is there really going to be room to add more grit to the team with how its currently constructed?

We all seem to agree with the fact we need another top 4 defenseman. Well, Erik Gudbranson, who has been mentioned here, is certainly NOT that. Maybe he could be a good third pairing guy, but then you're asking Peeke and/or Boqvist to remain higher in the lineup than they probably should. And with Boqvist's injury history, you could potentially be asking too much from Gudbranson later in the year. Unless we're adding via trade or some veteran FA I don't see the physical presence coming from here.

For 4th line options, we have a glut of forwards projected to be on the roster next year. You have Robinson, Kuraly, Danforth, Bemstrom, Texier, Johnson, Marchenko, and Chinakhov as basically locks to make the team next year in a bottom 6 or extra forward role. That's not even including bubble guys like Gaunce, TFW, and Foudy as possibilities. There is simply no room here unless the goal changes away from "play the kids."

I believe there will be many trades with our team in the offseason and this glut of forwards likely won't all be here when its all said and done. But I am not sure a life raft is going to be thrown at the team in terms of physicality regardless of how much we need it. I think next year will be a lot like this year in terms of remaining on path of developing and growing, and the adding for competing purposes (IE adding physicality, size, and veterans) will come later down the line.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
It's not based on the Minnesota games. I've been saying this stuff for two years.

Foligno, Calvert, Dubinsky, and Anderson were all valuable players five years ago. They'd still all be valuable now if they were in their primes. The league hasn't changed that much in five years. The playoffs hasn't changed at all. That Greenway - JEE - Foligno line is going to dominate in the playoffs.
I mean, they're nice players to have. I love all those guys, truly (they all, in particular Anderson, had some skill, too). Calvert was outstanding in his role as a 4th-liner/PKer. But this is yet again overstating the importance of grit. Some is beneficial/helpful. Not as much as many act/think.

"The playoffs hasn't changed at all." And yet, we won only one playoff series with those guys (and actually, we won it when we didn't have Calvert, Dubinsky was a shell of his former self [and that's being kind], and we had Duchene/Panarin). Greenway - JEE - Foligno have combined to win as many NHL playoff series in their careers as you and I have.

I saw the Penguins about a month ago do absolutely nothing when Marchand* took a cheap shot at their goalie AND then 10 seconds later another cheap shot at him. They just stood there. Yet they have the past hardware, and if you had to ask me if Pittsburgh or Minnesota is more likely to win the Cup this year, I'm picking Pittsburgh.

It's hard to quantify over written word exactly what I mean, but if you have the following options for a line (with LW remaining constant at skill B and grit C), give me option 2 then option 1 then option 4 then option 3:

Option 1:

C
Skill: B
Grit: A

RW
Grit: C

Option 2:

C
Skill: A
Grit: B

RW
Grit: C

Option 3:

C
Grit: A

RW
Skill: C

Option 4:

C
Skill: A

RW
Skill: C

Sure, we need another Savard-like defenseman. And having a 4th-liner like Calvert would be great and another forward with the grit of our vintage teams. The primary focus needs to be skill though,

*Speaking of Marchand, yes he's tough/gritty/snarly/a punk/agitator/dirty, etc. Same with Wilson. But they're both also very skilled, Marchand incredibly so. O'Reilly is another example (not as dirty but a classic gritty "tough guy"). But skill is their most important attributes, the toughness and grit is a nice bonus. All have won Cups.

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I don't know if anyone else has gotten into this yet, but it's nice to see with the new ESPN deal that (regardless of whether you subscribe or not) Columbus is starting to get on the national air more often. That hasn't been the case much over the years.

But from reading what people post on other platforms (OK, Twitter), Jackets fans really aren't used to having national announcers call their game. We've had such little exposure from national TV over the years that our fans seem to think that national announcers are supposed to slobber all over their team the same way Jeff and Jody do. They can't seem to comprehend that national announcers have to actually break down BOTH teams, not just theirs. And some of them really don't like criticism, or when they say something nice about the other guys.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know if anyone else has gotten into this yet, but it's nice to see with the new ESPN deal that (regardless of whether you subscribe or not) Columbus is starting to get on the national air more often. That hasn't been the case much over the years.

But from reading what people post on other platforms (OK, Twitter), Jackets fans really aren't used to having national announcers call their game. We've had such little exposure from national TV over the years that our fans seem to think that national announcers are supposed to slobber all over their team the same way Jeff and Jody do. They can't seem to comprehend that national announcers have to actually break down BOTH teams, not just theirs. And some of them really don't like criticism, or when they say something nice about the other guys.

Folks were complaining that only Minnesota got the slobber last night.

I personally thought the amount of slobber was proportionate to whoever was carrying play. The Jackets drew plaudits in the parts of the game when they did better, Minnesota when they did. Minnesota just carried most of the game.* The American broadcasts always have a way of slobbering on one team at a time, seemingly for a whole period or two. They don't go back and forth much. So this is to be expected.

*I have a lot of admiration for the effort the Jackets put out there. They were outweighed, outgunned, and outmanned with Werenski out. And they just got in at 2AM after playing the previous night. You look at Bjorkstrand in the presser after the game, he emptied the tank. But I don't expect national broadcasts to dwell on such things, when you get outplayed, don't expect to be the center of attention.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Boone isn’t a fighter or “tough guy” in the traditional way. He agitates more by his freaking relentless effort. Doesn’t run his mouth, take cheap physical shots, etc. Never has. I’m not sure why folks expect it now. I don’t think that role has to be included in the C. My impression is Jenner is leading by his commitment, tenacity, etc. obviously his impact is missed.
Do we really want him to suddenly become “the enforcer?” Back injuries aside, I just don’t think that’s where his value is. I bet a lot of teams would love to have 38 on their roster. You hear other announcers and pundits drooling over his style of play a lot. I think he’s one of the few players who would draw a great deal of interest if he did hit the market. And, despite this post, he’s not even my fav CBJ skater. I just think for those expecting him to step up and retaliate aren’t really hitting the mark on that.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL

Great post. Columbus fans are used to “Baghdad Bob” announcing - where everything is strawberries and sugar plums. Minnesota is a fun team, the announcers will gravitate towards that rather than a team playing scared on their heels with little talent. Jody and Rims will tell you everything is alright, like a life alert commercial, when in reality there isn’t a whole lot of direction out there.

It’s entertainment, and there was a lot of truth in what they were saying. Also, appreciate the fact that we’re getting national exposure.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad