Post-Game Talk: GAME 66 - #$@&%*! Chelsea Dagger - Chicago 6 BRUINS 3 F

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
With the team doing so well, a couple of cliches spring to mind involving how active they were at the trade deadline:

"Don't upset the apple cart."

Hockey is the consummate team game, and chemistry matters. Sure, they are better on paper and all they shipped out was Craig Smith; but he was a popular player in the locker room. I still remember the pic of a bunch of players at a UFC event in Vegas. Sitting square in the middle was Smith.

"Too many chefs spoil the broth."

The defense wasn't perfect, and is better with Orlov. But knowing each night someone sits has to affect their collective psyche.

On the flip side, we could simply be seeing new players adapting to a new team, and an inevitable mental letdown after clinching a playoff spot. Time will tell.

What's most bothersome is their lack of killer instinct. How much time in the last three games has the team played with a lead? Very little. They are not only getting scored on first and early, twice against Rockford, er, I mean Chicago, they surrendered goals quickly after scoring.

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
ouch:
1678877711779.png

... and I believe #27 was only D-man on for the ENG.

Reactions: Gordoff

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
If the goal is to be the 7th D for the playoffs ,Clifton, Forbort and Gryz all did there part to get that role last night. That is all I have to say on last nights game

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If the goal is to be the 7th D for the playoffs ,Clifton, Forbort and Gryz all did there part to get that role last night. That is all I have to say on last nights game
Grizz was 61% xGF last night and was good. Forbort and Clifton were 34% and were horrid. I think you just included Grizz by habit because he wasn’t the problem last night. I’m guessing even eye test guys could see how bad Forbort was especially on two of the goals.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Don’t lump Grzelcyk in with those other two. Forbort-Clifton had by far the worst defensive performance of the season

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Grizz was 61% xGF last night and was good. Forbort and Clifton were 34% and were horrid. I think you just included Grizz by habit because he wasn’t the problem last night. I’m guessing even eye test guys could see how bad Forbort was especially on two of the goals.
Did you notice who Gryz covered on the two goals he was on the ice for . The shorthanded goal he just got on the ice so excusable. The scramble lets just say no spectator had a better view not sure how that works with your stats,but from an eye test not good.

Don’t lump Grzelcyk in with those other two. Forbort-Clifton had by far the worst defensive performance of the season
see post 85 Not saying he was as bad as the other two ,but not saying he played very well either

Last edited:
Reactions: bob77

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruins have had an amazing season to date & I am sure with 105 pts they are not feeling no urgency at moment which is fine they have earned that right.I will just leave it at that I don't want to shitkick them when down because I had alot of good nights so far this year.The boys will figure it out I know it .Go Bruins.
I agree...but I just don't want them to develop bad habits.

I know a few guys are playing with an injury and IMO they should be sitting.

Moving on to the next game.....

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
As the posting here showed, Monty not happy and frustrated and Bergeron honest in how the team is playing. That’s actually a good sign. For me if they said ‘well ya know we have to keep at it….’ type of line I’d be more concern as that’s annoying to hear at times. They can work their way out of it but fatigue (mental for some) is there and physical (vets) for others too. I think all that matters is the next game. Why worry about what will happen with the PP in a few weeks vs Carolina or TO when you have a game now vs the Jets? Then Minnny……that’s the focus

Let’s go Bruins!!!

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Yikes WTF was that, AHL level squad, are they purposely avoiding the presidents trophy curse? Lol

Need to cut it with this d rotation, play your best lineup until the division is won officially then rest guys. There will be little to no practices here on out due to the schedule.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With the team doing so well, a couple of cliches spring to mind involving how active they were at the trade deadline:

"Don't upset the apple cart."

Hockey is the consummate team game, and chemistry matters. Sure, they are better on paper and all they shipped out was Craig Smith; but he was a popular player in the locker room. I still remember the pic of a bunch of players at a UFC event in Vegas. Sitting square in the middle was Smith.

"Too many chefs spoil the broth."

The defense wasn't perfect, and is better with Orlov. But knowing each night someone sits has to affect their collective psyche.

On the flip side, we could simply be seeing new players adapting to a new team, and an inevitable mental letdown after clinching a playoff spot. Time will tell.

What's most bothersome is their lack of killer instinct. How much time in the last three games has the team played with a lead? Very little. They are not only getting scored on first and early, twice against Rockford, er, I mean Chicago, they surrendered goals quickly after scoring.
This is a great post.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A few weeks left to right the wrongs that have crept up. Better to get it out of their system now, than to limp into the 1st round. Focus should be resting some of the top guys and reestablishing the basics. Not a bad thing for them to get their shit served the past few games. Wakey wakey.
Coach has to look in the mirror and wonder what's more important, setting in-season records for wins, etc or winning the real, true prize at the end of the rainbow. He got used to the boys being guided out of trouble by Bergy and Fliggy, so didn't have to think too much about how to direct the boat out of trouble. Now, everyone is looking at the other guy and wondering what "his" problem is. They also have to stop listening to all of the hooplas and realize that they will be a cautionary tale if they don't get their asses in gear, stop the bleeding and start the healing. Up until the last few games they look entitled and lazy. Like the other teams shouldn't even bother challenging the them. Now, the Bruins are not hungry or desperate and other teams want to beat the "big deal Boston Bruins" so they're bringing it every night for bragging rights. I hope that Monty is strong enough to stop this tail spin.

Last edited:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Does Montgomery have the ability to lay the hammer down? The nice guy show and zero practice has lead to this (also lead to the world record start) so hopefully he can tidy it up cause they're all waiting for playoffs. Tbh kinda glad they have a reality dose every now and then. Assuming they can work out of it

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I agree...but I just don't want them to develop bad habits.

I know a few guys are playing with an injury and IMO they should be sitting.

Moving on to the next game.....
At this point, if it's true (and I have no reason to doubt it) that Monty is allowing injured/hurt players to play when he has young, hungry guys to play, then he needs to man up and TELL whoever it is that they are taking games off. This popularity contest of not wanting to upset the leaders reminds me of a couple of cliches "too many chiefs not enough injuns" I mean, who is in charge here, the "inmates are running the asylum." Monty is supposed to be in charge, they were playing with a chip on their shoulders but now, they've broken records and got it (their dislike for Cassidy) out of their systems, and now it's like they think that they've proven that in the past it was all Cassidy's fault. But now guys have lost focus on the big, true prize and have totally lost focus. Their eyes seem to be saying "we've proven what we can do, now what?" NOW, wake up and get ready for the REAL season!

Last edited:

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Coach has to look in the mirror and wonder what's more important, setting in-season records for wins, etc or winning the real, true prize at the end of the rainbow. He got used to the boys being guided out of trouble by Bergy so didn't have to think too much about how to direct the boat out of trouble. Now, everyone is looking at the other guy and wondering what "his" problem is. They also have to stop listening to all of the hooplas and realize that they will be a cautionary tale if they don't get their asses in gear, stop the bleeding and start the healing. Up until the last few games they look entitled and lazy. Like the other teams shouldn't even bother challenging the Bruins. Now, the Bruins are not hungry or desperate and other teams want to beat the "big deal Boston Bruins" so they're bringing it every night for bragging rights. I hope that Monty is strong enough to stop this tail spin.
All golden points here. We dont have to go back too far to look at a certain Tampa team that was destroyed in the 1st round, after dominating the reg season. What good is a Pres trophy, if that championship banner isnt raised to the rafters?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Isn’t that normal when one guy has 13 oz face offs and one guy has 2?

Regardless that 3rd pair is a horror show. Need to go orlov Clifton in the playoffs

Reactions: Gordoff

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Any hockey coach will realize to a point the difference between physical and mental mistakes. The physical mistakes a coach can put up with more often. It’s the falling down, bad puck bounce, etc. The mental mistakes will drive a coach crazy. These are all choices a player makes. It’s the pass cross ice up the middle, the turning and watching the puck and play instead of guarding someone and tying up their stick, it’s the long shift when you could have easily gotten off sooner, it’s the constant releasing from the zone early without team possession, it’s the drive by the net instead of stopping at the net, being on the wrong side of the puck all the time, it’s not making the simple pass and play when you should, it’s not getting the puck in deep when you should, it’s not realizing your other teammates may need a line change but instead you go through center ice as if nothing is in danger, it’s not stopping the cycle by good positioning along the boards to either poke check or pin the player, it’s not passing the puck to open players and instead carrying it yourself and trying to go around more than one guy, etc. There are more and more. The Bruins lately have been the victim of both kinds of mistakes, but even more so the mental ones. The hockey IQ has been bad lately IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad