GDT: Game 65: Avs @ Wild | Tuesday, March 1st, 6pm MT |18 and Counting part 2...yes part 2

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I'm hearing a lot about Gelinas, but not much about Boedkker. Judging from the stats I pulled up the line with him, Landy, and MacKinnon did not do well.

I was pretty impressed with Boedker, more than I thought I would be. He set up the play on Bigras' goal and helped out on another IIRC. I posted in another thread that I think they should look at switching Grigs and Boedker. Although I'm not sure what you would do with Iggy.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I'm sure ROW's too. Avs would have been at 30 after last night and Wild at 28, but now they're tied at 29, and that's the tiebreaker, and then the next tiebreaker is head to head, which the Avs would lose. The tiebreaker after that is goal differential, which the Wild also have the advantage in. Last night hurt a lot.

Good point, and yes it did. Shake it off and make it up next time.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not really.

They didn't trade O'Reilly because they were rebuilding, and the next moves they made shortly after the trade shows that.

You can say that you wish they would be rebuilding, but they are not.

The O'Reilly trade was a futures trade. They traded a 1st line center and a 3rd line wing for almost wholly futures - two guys aren't in the NHL, one guy was a 4th line dude for over half the season, and the pick. They moved two established NHL roster players didn't get an established NHL player in return. Contending teams do this?

You are absolutely correct though - in that they're not rebuilding, even though the biggest trade the franchise has made in over a decade was a rebuild trade. That's Roy/Sakic in a nutshell.

Anyway, time to win some hockey games if they can. There's no question that Matthias is better than Martinsen, no question that Boedker is better than Tanguay (the 2016 version), and I'm hoping that Gelinas can't possibly be worse than Bodnarchuk. Yay.

OK Roy, The team improved in three positions on the ice. No excuses - not one. Let's see these damn couple of home playoff games.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The O'Reilly trade was a futures trade. They traded a 1st line center and a 3rd line wing for almost wholly futures - two guys aren't in the NHL, one guy was a 4th line dude for over half the season, and the pick. They moved two established NHL roster players didn't get an established NHL player in return. Contending teams do this?

You are absolutely correct though - in that they're not rebuilding, even though the biggest trade the franchise has made in over a decade was a rebuild trade. That's Roy/Sakic in a nutshell.

Anyway, time to win some hockey games if they can. There's no question that Matthias is better than Martinsen, no question that Boedker is better than Tanguay (the 2016 version), and I'm hoping that Gelinas can't possibly be worse than Bodnarchuk. Yay.

OK Roy, The team improved in three positions on the ice. No excuses - not one. Let's see these damn couple of home playoff games.

Not that I think we're a contending team. But that's what the Hawks did with Saad. *shrug*

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not that I think we're a contending team. But that's what the Hawks did with Saad. *shrug*

The Avs traded ROR for futures because they wanted to. The Hawks traded Saad for futures because they had to (cap space).

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'd say if Avs can win the next 3 home games coming up, they'll put themselves in a good spot of making the playoffs again

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

The Saad trade was a cap thing, and as has been brought up, the Hawks got a proven 2nd line NHL player.

Chicago couldn't really take back salary. The Avs certainly could have.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorta. I see the Soda signing and Comeau signings as extensions of that trade as they were brought in with the money no-longer needed for ROR and McGinn. So any salary we took back would've taken away from the FAs we had targetted. Meaning though we could technically take back salary, we couldn't if we want to execute the other parts of their summer plans.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I always thought that they traded RoR for the best possible package they could get and it just happened yo be futures. I don't think they went out looking for futures.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I'd say if Avs can win the next 3 home games coming up, they'll put themselves in a good spot of making the playoffs again

Home games are an adventure with this team. Shall we call it "home-ice disadvantage"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad