GDT: Game 63: St. Louis @ Columbus | 5 PM EST

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Missed the first period, but was really invested in the game for the final two. Love the battle the team showed in the 3rd period. Nice to see Laine and Nyquist continuing to develop chemistry, and Kuraly did yeoman's work down the stretch. Great win vs a tough Blues team!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Still don't understand why more of the blame seems to not be on the team defense (in general on this board, not just this post). It's literally the worst in the league. Elvis has allowed two tonight. First we allowed them to get a breakaway while shorthanded (which is at least the second time in the past 3 or 4 games). Second there was a shot from the slot with a screener in front and no defender near him trying to move him out of the way.

Maybe Elvis should've caught it, maybe not when there's a huge man in your way and it was a relatively close/dangerous shot. First goal isn't on Elvis at all. Second goal, maybe he could have had, but definitely not his "fault" or soft. If a team ends a game with only one goal allowed by the goalie that he maybe could have had (only one, and zero that *should* have been had/were soft) then that's not on the goalie.
Yes the defense has underperformed on protecting the net. But let’s be realistic about the goalies. The league leader is 31.8 over expected save percentage. Heck, Anton Forsberg is 6.4 above. Both Elvis and Korpi are negative - 4.9 (80th)and 10.8 (102nd) respectively (Both Tarasov and Berube in their limited play are positive i@ 28th and 29th).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Still don't understand why more of the blame seems to not be on the team defense (in general on this board, not just this post). It's literally the worst in the league. Elvis has allowed two tonight. First we allowed them to get a breakaway while shorthanded (which is at least the second time in the past 3 or 4 games). Second there was a shot from the slot with a screener in front and no defender near him trying to move him out of the way.

Maybe Elvis should've caught it, maybe not when there's a huge man in your way and it was a relatively close/dangerous shot. First goal isn't on Elvis at all. Second goal, maybe he could have had, but definitely not his "fault" or soft. If a team ends a game with only one goal allowed by the goalie that he maybe could have had (only one, and zero that *should* have been had/were soft) then that's not on the goalie.
On the 2nd one I thought he didn't handle the puck perfectly. Of course, the fact that Toropchenko had the opportunity to shoot is not his fault.
Like the goals Perron scored when Korpi was in the net. Accurately aimed, he had plenty of time to aim.
We don't hlave defense that's why it can't be bad. :sarcasm:

VABUCK

Oct 31, 2014
Midlothian, VA
If the Jackets were trading Korpi I don't think Elvis leaving changes anything. If they're trading him it's because they're not going to the playoffs. Trade him and bring in Verube.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed to me that we slowed down, our puck handling got worse even on clear ice. Probably we're tired.
Laine is great offensively, but maybe he should play a little more aggressive and not such rely on the position play in defense.

But today the win is important. :nod:

My 3 stars:

Kuraly
Nyquist
Werenski

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the Jackets were trading Korpi I don't think Elvis leaving changes anything. If they're trading him it's because they're not going to the playoffs. Trade him and bring in Verube.

The way Korpi has been playing for like the last two years, it feels absurd to hear people say "because of x goalie injury we can't trade Korpi now". We're not losing anything that we can't replace with an AHL body.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good for korpi too. Who knows what happens next with this. With Elvis injury all options are on the table. But if he does move on, I appreciate him for his efforts and wish him luck going forward. He had some tough luck recently and I hope he’s able to rebound

VABUCK

Oct 31, 2014
Midlothian, VA
Good for korpi too. Who knows what happens next with this. With Elvis injury all options are on the table. But if he does move on, I appreciate him for his efforts and wish him luck going forward. He had some tough luck recently and I hope he’s able to rebound
Who knows a new location and new goalie coach, hopefully he will rebound and get his game back. Just not against the Jackets!

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Really nice game, and also almost "prime time" for us Finns. It's 2AM now, but it's happy to go to bed after that kind of battle. And it never hurts to see 9 goals in a game.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So Elvis got injured sire? What happened exactly?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So Elvis got injured sire? What happened exactly?
He kicked off his right foot to cover the left post, twisted wrong when he got there and tweaked something in his back. Was bent over and left the ice on the next stoppage.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He kicked off his right foot to cover the left post, twisted wrong when he got there and tweaked something in his back. Was bent over and left the ice on the next stoppage.
Ok sire. Thank you for the answer. Interesthang to see what happens next. Maybe the great korpisalo will play all of them games after this... have his possession of the crown back.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I've not been shy about it. Our defense sucks. When we have to score 5 goals to win games, gheez!
I'll even go so far to say that Gavy belongs on the second pairing. With that said, neither of our goalies are stealing games for us.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well with 3 playoff teams interested in Max, maybe we do get another first round pick after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad