GDT: Game 63: Columbus at Ottawa | 3/4 7PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So you joined Torts in having a a bad game. :laugh::laugh:

I still think it was the right call. We were doing nothing even strength and nothing on the powerplay. Granted, I might have waited until we won a draw and got control, but I still would have done it. It might not be the right call but I would have done it, and apparently Torts agreed.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I've just glad we're done with the sens. We always seem to be at our worst against them. In every way

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bad game , u could tell the jump wasn't there . Korpi was pretty good . Perspective ... we're 40-17-6

Agree.... but posts about Ottawa having our number are true....

I'm tired of seeing Ottawa abuse us, we need to respect Ottawa more.... That's the real issue, we don't respect them...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What a terrible move pulling the goalie with over 3 min to go in a one goal game. I hate that move and I don't care that we were on the PP. awful

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My four positives from an otherwise forgetfull performance tonight:

Korpi was overall effective;
Saad appears to have his scoring mojo back;
Maybe Gagner can relax a bit now and not be so tight; and
Zach was a defensive workhorse and offensive contributor.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I'm tired of seeing Ottawa abuse us, we need to respect Ottawa more.... That's the real issue, we don't respect them...

Trapping team that collapses in front of our goalie , they take 2 of 3 from us . Couple post on great
Looks sure didn't help . Having said that , they are fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs , were playing for seeding . Sure hate it because it seems you can tell right away , what kind of
Game it's going to be for the jackets

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
What a terrible move pulling the goalie with over 3 min to go in a one goal game. I hate that move and I don't care that we were on the PP. awful

I hate it on the power play more, actually. They have a free clear when we lose possession and we can't win face offs. horrid call.

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
The powerplay badly needs fresh ideas and faster puck movement. Every team knows what they're trying to do. They're so predictable that it wouldn't even matter if the guys were shouting out loud who they're going to pass next. I was very impressed with how the Wild were running their powerplay the other night. In the same time it takes the Jackets to set up (granted they win the face off in the first place), the Wild had already completed seven passes and had a scoring opportunity.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I just want to point out Gagner scored his goal with the goalie pulled. It was a good call :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good first 40 mins, bad final 20. Not much to write home about overall.

I don't mind the goalie pull.

Might be time to shake up some combinations, especially on the PP. Gagner scored late but I think too many plays die because of his slow release. For the millionth time: put Bjork or Hartnell in the plum spot. And the second unit should have Jones in one-timer position on the side with Murray quarterbacking. They tried that for a few games and it was lethal.

Edit: As I was thinking more on this the one thing that really feels missing on our PP is the old-fashioned one-timer.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Truth be told.....

We can't play Bob every night and Torts knows this.... No disrespect to Korp but losing this game was not unexpected, hard truth from Robert.

A win would have been bonus.... :)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA

I agree, Columbus is not in a position not to respect the Sens, we are as good as any team in the league but nobody knows it. You just have to look at the standings to see that we are among the top team in the league :) but we cant get any respect. :laugh:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Truth be told.....

We can't play Bob every night and Torts knows this.... No disrespect to Korp but losing this game was not unexpected, hard truth from Robert.

I agree that Korpi looked terrible offensively. Its fine to let in two goals but he really needs to contribute more and chip in some goals on the offensive end. You can't expect the forwards and dmen to bail out the goalie offensively every game.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
- 2-3 more posts
- Tired of skill guys flat out missing the net
- On the PP, they go for those quick tip plays over and over again, and they are exceedingly difficult to pull off (they keep doing them even strength as well). These nearly always end up in the puck getting cleared. Get guys moving, move the puck, and let them take the goalie on 1 on 1 instead of all the aimless passing around the perimeter and quick tip attempts. Way too much time wasted with this aimless passing. Way too much dman and forward skill to be doing this. I'd rather see them just shoot at the net and hope for a rebound than keep doing these tip plays.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good first 40 mins, bad final 20. Not much to write home about overall.

I don't mind the goalie pull.

Might be time to shake up some combinations, especially on the PP. Gagner scored late but I think too many plays die because of his slow release. For the millionth time: put Bjork or Hartnell in the plum spot. And the second unit should have Jones in one-timer position on the side with Murray quarterbacking. They tried that for a few games and it was lethal.

Edit: As I was thinking more on this the one thing that really feels missing on our PP is the old-fashioned one-timer.

Seriously. I see way to much stick handling when receiving passes when they should just be thrown directly on net. Jones has a bomb of a one timer that's severely underutilized. If I recall correctly Bjorkstrands isn't to shabby either.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
- 2-3 more posts
- Tired of skill guys flat out missing the net
- On the PP, they go for those quick tip plays over and over again, and they are exceedingly difficult to pull off (they keep doing them even strength as well). These nearly always end up in the puck getting cleared. Get guys moving, move the puck, and let them take the goalie on 1 on 1 instead of all the aimless passing around the perimeter and quick tip attempts. Way too much time wasted with this aimless passing. Way too much dman and forward skill to be doing this. I'd rather see them just shoot at the net and hope for a rebound than keep doing these tip plays.

Watching the Caps' power play and then watching the CBJ's is like watching an elite NHL power play to a dreadful ECHL power play..

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I'm not going to blame Korp because I thought he played decently, but I do wonder a little about the rotation decision this weekend. It made more sense to me to play Bob against the sens (the better team) and Korp against the Devils. But, maybe he needed the rest now. *shrugs*

I don't think the team played well as a whole. We didn't forecheck very effectively, breakouts were a mess, and too often we missed assignments defensively. Good news is not much time to think about it with a short turnaround for tonight.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Truth be told.....

Thought I saw pre-game that Korpi was 5-1 in his recent starts? So that's not on the goalie. and doesn't say that we only win with Bob. It's about scoring goals, something we've been struggling with lately.

The PP was great early and I've said many times it was likely a new system other teams were not prepared for as well as guys playing very well. Now that teams know what we're trying to do it's about execution (not a system) and we're not executing.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Several people have already mentioned the inability to win a face-off last night. This was supposed to be something that was going to be addressed at the deadline. It wasn't and will continue to be a huge issue. This is why I feel that the deadline was a pretty big fail for the Jackets. Needs were not addressed. Sure we cleared some cap, but the players acquired aren't exactly what is needed to truly make this team super competitive in the playoffs. Continued play like last night and this team will make another first round exit in the playoffs.

Pulling the goalie was a calculated risk that blew up in Torts face, because we couldn't win a face off. Just weren't a lot of positives about last night. Time for this team to start playing with a little more desperation. They've frankly just not been that good since the streak. I think only 2 games over .500 since the streak ended. Need to get back to playing .600 hockey. Winning 12 of the last 19 should not be an unrealistic goal considering how many non-playoff teams were playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad