GDT: Game 62 3/2 NOON PT; Sharks @ Devils

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Good game guys. We needed that one and I thought it was a well played game but you guys showed us what a team can do when they have real offensive weapons.

Devils played with a lot of heart and character today but sometimes that isn't enough to over come the lack of talent on the roster.

Stalock is FUN to watch.

Arkansas Shark

Fire DW
May 23, 2010
Little Rock
gif-happy-dance.gif

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Nice to see the Sharks score when tied in the third. Didn't sit back.

Also damn the PK came up big.

Braun with 4:03 PK TOI
Hannan with 4:59 PK TOI
Pavs with 3:43 PK TOI

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Big saves followed by big goals. Thats why that clutch save is so desperately missed with Nemo in net this year

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Nieto on postgame TV interview:

- they knew if they won they 3rd that they'd win the game; great way to end the road trip, excited to get back to California
- knows what he has to do w/ Thornton and Pavelski, has to go in on forecheck and gets pucks to them, then get open
- "Joe" with a great pass to Pavs, who got it to Nieto, who got everything on the shot
- to stay in the lineup, every opportunity he gets, he has to take advantage and try to have an impact
- video-watching: Nieto has to get puck out of the zone, good boardwork on breakout
- break helped him and helped everyone, energized to finish season

Sheppard on postgame radio interview:

- Sharks came out flying, played full 60 minutes, had huge 3rd period
- no adjustments after 1st, wanted to keep doing what they were doing, definitely wanted to win the 3rd period because they hadn't done it in a while, gave everything they have knowing it was end of road trip
- Stalock gives it all, is a battler and a "competer"
- started off in juniors and Minnesota as a center, makes him feel comfortable going back to where he started
- re: first game as a center - can be in the play more as a center vs. head on a swivel all the time as a winger, he isn't a stop and start guy and likes to keep moving, but he does need to work on faceoffs

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No they didn't. How did they play terrible? They competed and played hard and scored 4 goals against a team that doesn't give up any. Mistakes are going to be made in every single game.

He saved them early on. There were a ton of odd man rushes against the sharks today.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
moral of the story is the D needs help

Vlasic-Demers
?- Braun
Hannan/Stuart- Boyle

Demers can be a poor man's Doughty and do his thing with Vlasic covering him. I think Boyle and Hannan/Stuart can handle the softest matchups. They need to find a LHD partner for Braun and I'll feel much better.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He saved them early on. There were a ton of odd man rushes against the sharks today.

So he did his job. All this *****ing about the Sharks playing "horribly" simply because they didn't boat race the other team is tiresome. New Jersey has a lot to play for as does San Jose. Stalock is playing awesome and is closing the gap on Niemi.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Couldn't ask any more from Stalock in this game. The goals against were mistakes by Braun and Hannan among other contributing factors. I still think Niemi gets the start on Tuesday to give him another opportunity. Stalock wasn't so lights out that you don't have a choice but to play him the next game but if Nemo falters against Carolina, Stalock may get a shot against Pittsburgh.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
That was a very, very good game from Stalock! Nieto too.

I'm starting to think that the coaches are being pretty strategic with all of these line and D pairing changes but the biggest thing I've taken out of the last 10 or so games is they are looking for someone who can handle that 3C spot.

Whether it's because they want to keep Pavelski in the top 6 full time or if it's just to see how others do there for when an injury or line up adjustment (which is inevitable in the playoffs) has to be made, I'm not sure.

Considering this was their 3rd game in 4 days against a team that just doesn't give up a whole lot they did really well to convert on the chances they got. They gave up a few too many odd man rushes/breakaways but also managed some of their own.

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
And most everyone was contributing.

Pavs-Thornton-Nieto got a goal
Couture-Marleau-Wingels got one
Torres with Shep and Pavs
Marleau again

All three lines contributing like they should, D holding strong, Stalock playing well. I'm for some reason very pleased with this win.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That was a very, very good game from Stalock! Nieto too.

I'm starting to think that the coaches are being pretty strategic with all of these line and D pairing changes but the biggest thing I've taken out of the last 10 or so games is they are looking for someone who can handle that 3C spot.

Whether it's because they want to keep Pavelski in the top 6 full time or if it's just to see how others do there for when an injury or line up adjustment (which is inevitable in the playoffs) has to be made, I'm not sure.

Considering this was their 3rd game in 3 days against a team that just doesn't give up a whole lot they did really well to convert on the chances they got. They gave up a few too many odd man rushes/breakaways but also managed some of their own.

Sheppard played well in the 3C spot after the draw but he was horrible in the circle.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Niemi's career progression is pretty interesting with us.
Was the backup for Huet, stole the starting position going into the playoffs and knocked us out.
Came to San Jose and started weak.
Then a season and a half of average goaltending with a lot of flaws.
Then a Vezina caliber season.
Now, average and seemingly declining caliber goaltending.

Kinda glad DW doesn't lock up goaltenders for monster contracts. They're very right that goaltending is a fickle thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad