GDT: GAME 6 | Senators sail into the Lake of Salt | Tue Oct 22 2024, 9:15PM | TSN5, RDSI

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I still think there's lots of room for growth in JBD.

JBD turned 24 this off season. Consider that:

DeMelo was 25 when he joined the sens, and was a 3rd pair guy that wasn't qualified prior to that.
Zub was 25 before playing his first NHL game.
Jensen was 26 before playing his first NHL game

All three guys are similar archetypes to JBD, average size, average skaters, not overly physical or great puck handler, just smart defensive players that make the right choices at the right times. None of these guys made it earlier because their games weren't based on physical abilities, they couldn't dangle their way to points or dominate the opposition physically, they had to play a smart game based on positioning and the experience to know what play to make.

JBD isn't there yet, but as a 3rd pair guy, I think he strikes a good balance of good value for money, and upside to become something more. if he's you're 6th Dman, I think that's more than alright.
JBD is really slow, for the actual NHL it's worrisome.
It was obvious against this Utah team.

Reactions: The Expert

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Find me an NHL team that plays full throttle for the entire 60 minutes. Such a team doesn't exist; it's simply impossible to dominate another team for an entire game. That's just unrealistic.
Well, they never did dominate though. They scored timely goals, which is massive and I loved it, but I wouldn't say we dominated. We may have outplayed them for 20 of 60 minutes and got incredible goaltending + timely scoring, which is great - but it won't happen like that most of the time.

I have heard a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey. Which could be argued from the point of taking your foot off the gas. But in reality a 1 goal lead is always the worst lead. A 4 goal lead is very hard to blow.
It's probably PTSD from the last 500 seasons, but if anyone's gonna blow that lead...

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I have to say I was one of the ones who wasn't sure about some of our depth moves BUT

Gregor, Amadio, and Cousins have been pretty darn good for us.
Amadio makes so much room for his linemates with his play, keeps the play alive. Wish he would be rewarded with some points as that's the only thing some people seem to judge him on.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Credit where it's due. I've been crapping on Forsberg this season, but he has been amazing this game.
I either read an article or saw an online show recently where it was discussed that the last year Forsy played really well, he was basically the starter so played most games and got into a groove. He said as much in his post-game interview. Ullmark has also said that he prefers playing more games as he's sharper because it comes naturally (less thinking involved). Some goalies just don't do well as backups as they're always coming in cold, sometimes not playing for a couple of weeks. My hope that his confidence is up and he'll be solid even as the backup once Ullmark returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blotto71

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I missed most of the game, but that third looks good for the Senators. They are definitely moving in the right direction.
If you missed the 1st period, it was the best one. First 10 minutes: Forsey was a beast, team was flat. Last 10 minutes: 2 great plays by Jensen setting up 2 goals on a 4x4, then a PP goal and 5v5 goal in the dying seconds of the period.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Encouraging that this team is finding new ways to win

And they're doing that despite a disastrous start statistically from the new depth

Kleven + Hamonic + Amadio + Cousins + Perron + Gregor + Gaudette : 2 pts in 40 games and - 11! Damn, hard to be worse (including Jensen improves that a bit)

Thankfully our core/best players have been manufacturing wins

And very encouraging from Forsberg, he looked like in 2021-22 form. He had a 0.659 QS% that season which was 4th in the NHL! So far this season, he's at 0.500 so it's trending in the right direction. If he can get back to that level, we'd have a pretty damn solid goalie tandem

Pls Hamonic, don’t cockblock this GOAT season from Sandy.

I didn't mind Hamonic as much the last 3 games but that's most likely because he's being carried by Jake. That said, it also kinda ruins Jake first Norris contending season so can't go like that all year. Try Jensen or JBD with him

Jake already put Hamonic into respectability 2 years ago, said it several times, but let's not go there again

and to think we predrank to watch Forsberg for nothing

Why do you think I didn't post until now? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If you missed the 1st period, it was the best one. First 10 minutes: Forsey was a beast, team was flat. Last 10 minutes: 2 great plays by Jensen setting up 2 goals on a 4x4, then a PP goal and 5v5 goal in the dying seconds of the period.
I got to watch that on the extended highlights.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
"Dominate" is not the objective. I want to see the team play a solid defensive game and not get hemmed into their zone for long periods of time. The game against Utah was not a very good game as the Senators were being dominated. The team did not start the game well; they were being outsmarted and outplayed.

It will definitely interesting to see how it plays out.
I have a different perspective; I don't believe Utah dominated the Sens. In my view, Utah started strong in the first 10 minutes, but the Sens took control in the final 10 minutes of the first period. In my opinion, the most significant statistics are wins, losses, and goal differential. Currently, the Sens stand at 4-2 with a goal differential of +3. The upcoming games against Colorado and Vegas will be telling. It's a long season filled with highs and lows, and hopefully, we'll experience more highs than lows.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
The D structure is way better than last year, Utah had not that many of A chances to score.
I'm not convinced by our 5v5 offense though.
PP is really great to start the season and it helps a lot but at times struggles will surely come and we will need better 5v5 games on O.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad