GDT: Game 6: Red Wings at isles 7:45 pm et 10/22/24

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Man, that was a special game.

If someday we have to learn how to protect leads, it happened today.

That looked like greatest Team Finland defensive efforts.

Yeah, the offensive game will come later on, but let's learn the defence first. Lyon did see all shots, so guys were doing a great job taking those anderslees away from net-front.

Also, can't deny I love seeing Patrick Roy with a red face on final minutes - and losing.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This Gonna be a long season if the only way we're gonna win is by generating no offense and depending on shut outs

getting outshot 2-1 in every single win isn't exactly sustainable

it's only 6 games into the season so there's plenty of time for it to change but so far the Wings have the worst analytics in the entire league other than Montreal in basically every single category

That's interesting case from analytics.

But Red Wings have 2nd best xGF% (57.5%) at NHL, when the score is tied. So when we are hunting the lead, they will be generating offence.

We go on this ultra-defensive shell-mode only when leading. And if we lead early, the overall statistics will look "brutal".

1729667565675.png

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lyon 1st star
Edvidsson 2nd

Boring game.
2 shutouts after 6 games. In both games the goalies were great, but they didn't stand on their head, which is a good sing maybe.
Berggren creates a lot, but nothing good comes out of it.
The biggest game of the season so far is obviously the next game, it will be the appropriate measuring stick.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's about winning. Who cares if it's not pretty.

I say take the positives. This was probably the most impressive game Edvinsson has played at the NHL level. Kasper was 50% on faceoffs and looks like the coach already trusts him on the PK and late in the game. These things are far more relevant long-term than anything else that happened.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2 shutouts after 6 games. In both games the goalies were great, but they didn't stand on their head, which is a good sing maybe.

That's the thing. Team played great in front of them, cleaning the bodies away from screens and rebounds. Goalies had to deal only with direct shots, which is pretty easy. That's the whole point of team effort.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kasper only got 14 TOI. He needs to play upwards to 16 if he's going to be up, otherwise he needs to be eating up 20+ minutes, 1st line in the AHL.
14 is decent, especially in a game like this. One more shift and he would have been in the top 6 of icetime among forwards.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
My thoughts on the game

-Lyon has been great, but we have to be careful not to overplay him. I think Talbot should rotate in next game. 29 saves this game, but the save total doesn't tell the entire story. He swallowed the pucks, and didn't give many rebounds.
-Kasper has been good. Lalonde not only plays him late with a one goal lead, but he took defensive faceoffs late in the game. He might be up to stay.
-Breakouts are terrible. Some of it is on the defensemen, but forwards need to be open, and the need to think a few steps ahead.
-19 giveaways this game.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That's interesting case from analytics.

But Red Wings have 2nd best xGF% (57.5%) at NHL, when the score is tied. So when we are hunting the lead, they will be generating offence.

We go on this ultra-defensive shell-mode only when leading. And if we lead early, the overall statistics will look "brutal".

View attachment 920417

this is interesting and makes me wonder why that particular stat is so high when all the other ones seem to range from midling to bad even under those same parameters

whatever it is it looks like special teams are having a heavy influence there, if you go to specifically even strength while tied instead of all situations while tied suddenly the team is near the bottom in the stat again(5th worst)

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
We obviously played a really rough game offensively, but giveaways is an awful stat. Shooting the puck off the glass and out might count as one, but it's not a measure of being careless or making mistakes.
We gave away the puck too many times this game. No ifs or buts about it. Looked like they we practicing how to defend zone entries.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That game was D - RYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

10 shots on net is pathetic no matter who you play. Glad we were able to shut them down at the end, but by gameplay we are lucky to not be 0-6 right now.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Edvinsson-Seider pair look to be extremely stable. Lyon played really well last night, I wanted a look at Talbot, but like Lyon starting and winning. Idk if any other goalie would of won that game for us.

Chiarot - Johansson are the other defensive pairing I wanna see together,(maybe next game).

I'm ready to lock Kasper up with real line-mates. Play him with Raymond or Kane and let's see what happens.

Starting to support, fire the coach crowd, last night was horrible, the defensive pairing terrible, no times outs, just horrible, Alex Lyon played so good he literally stole a game for the Red Wings. Can't keep tossing terrible lines out and just rolling with it because you have a 1 goal lead. Idk, I really really turned against coach last night watching this game. Yzerman gives him the players, sure, but he's making the lines and saying who dresses.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We couldn't complete a pass to save our lives, but we also looked pretty good defensively. Despite giving up so many shots, I don't remember a ton of great scoring chances for the Isles. This game just isn't bothering me.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We couldn't complete a pass to save our lives, but we also looked pretty good defensively. Despite giving up so many shots, I don't remember a ton of great scoring chances for the Isles. This game just isn't bothering me.

I feel like we were only good defensively the last 8 or so minutes of the game, which is nice to see, but the rest of the game was a crap fest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad