GDT: Game 6: Red Wings at isles 7:45 pm et 10/22/24

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
You can play that period 100 times and this is probably the only 1 that ends with us up 1-0. I don't understand how their players are constantly wide open while ours instantly have no space every time. We're not a great team by any means but there's no way all of our players suck

fortunately they have to play it only once, so we're good

the next period is probably going to go differently, I bet

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Please don’t flame me for saying this but you simply don’t want your 8.5M AAV defenseman making those plays
You do if he pulls it off. The elite constantly do things you don't want lesser players to even attempt.

Like all the "Why make that pass, Ed? Are you dumb?" posts. Dude is calibrating. He's skilled enough to do it and it will eventually work.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It's either the system or accountability to adhere to said system. Either way that's on coaching.
It’s one thing if we played an high tempo, high octane type of game where we’re constantly generating offense in exchange for giving up some opportunities (ala Hurricanes), but our defense sucks while at the same time we don’t generate any offense either.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Please don’t flame me for saying this but you simply don’t want your 8.5M AAV defenseman making those plays
I know we didn't have any choice and I'll get some heat for saying it but really questioning if Seider is the kind of defenseman that's worth 8+ million. He gets shelled pretty much every time he's out there. Logging big minutes doesn't matter if you're constantly getting destroyed in those minutes

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I know we didn't have any choice and I'll get some heat for saying it but really questioning if Seider is the kind of defenseman that's worth 8+ million. He gets shelled pretty much every time he's out there. Logging big minutes doesn't matter if you're constantly getting destroyed in those minutes
It matters if players that would get obliterated far worse aren't playing those minutes.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I agree. Everyone points to the fact he has so many hits, which sounds nice on paper, but that’s often the case because he’s behind the play and chasing coverage.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

I'm thinking if we put him out there with Edvinsson more often, Seider's +/- will start trending up, and they'll both look like bargains at $8.5-ish, playing nearly half the game against the other team's top two lines and PP units

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It’s one thing if we played an high tempo, high octane type of game where we’re constantly generating offense in exchange for giving up some opportunities (ala Hurricanes), but our defense sucks while at the same time we don’t generate any offense either.
We don't have enough D that can reliably complete a pass. Nor do we have breakout systems being followed by forwards to put themselves in position to receive such passes. It's why everything is a hard rim-around or a flip out of the zone. The few pass attempts rarely work because forwards aren't in position. It's a mess. We need better passing from the back. And we need better systems for the forwards.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It matters if players that would get obliterated far worse aren't playing those minutes.
I'd still be playing Seider like this if I were the coach too. But the fact that he basically hasn't improved, and in fact seems perhaps worse, since his rookie season, is really concerning.

I'm not saying Seider is trash by any means but perhaps we crowned him an elite defenseman way too early. He looks more like a #2 out there to me. He's the best we have but that isn't saying much

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd still be playing Seider like this if I were the coach too. But the fact that he basically hasn't improved, and in fact seems perhaps worse, since his rookie season, is really concerning.

I'm not saying Seider is trash by any means but perhaps we crowned him an elite defenseman way too early. He looks more like a #2 out there to me. He's the best we have but that isn't saying much
He has improved. His QualC has gone up significantly every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad