Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't know if that's how Utah always plays, or if the book is just out on how to beat the Bruins; but they looked like Florida-lite.

Time will tell if Marchand is still recovering from his multiple surgeries or if Father Time has finally caught up with him. But his shot - when he actually gets it off and doesn't miss the net - isn't fooling anyone.

Mixed feelings on Grzelcyk out and Zadorov in. Sure, Zadorov is bigger and meaner; but he's also good for at least one penalty a game, and his aggressiveness toward other teams can spark opponents, as it did in Colorado.

I wasn't thrilled with the return on Ullmark, but had no idea Kastelic was this good.

I genuinely like Montgomery, and don't wish him to get fired. But the Marchand incident suggests the players have tuned him out. The body language on both coaches and players is reminiscent of Cassidy's last days.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A very well thought out and written synopsis. Are you sure that you didn't
grow up here playing the game we love because you just seem to get it! :thumbu:
I don't think Montgomery has a handle on how to coach-up this roster and the for the most part the guys who were here last year except for a couple, aren't playing as we know they can.
Dump & chase needs to start to be incorporated into the game plan here. Not everyone will be able to do that but if everyone could get on the same page and just play north to south, and hit as much as possible it would make a big difference.
Sorry to say it but I think certain guys do not want to change or evolve slightly. I'm looking at guys like Coyle, Geekie, and Frederik. Marchand is Marchand and he needs to play his game. He know when he screws up and doesn't need to be reemed out in public for it like a child. Pasta needs to be way more responsible with his passes, especially when he has pauses in scoring.
Granted this team needs a RW who can motor and score but in the meantime
what we have isn't on the same page. We'll see if it improves but if not, it's the beginning of the end of Monty's story here IMO.
McAvoy has had ups and downs so far.

All good points. Thanksgiving is the traditional date to evaluate and see where things are at and I think that will hold true for the Bruins and for their coach. Monty's got until then to show he can effectively coach this kind of roster and get them playing cohesively and in a manner that works for them. My sense is that management are generally supportive of him and his regular season record has to be respected, but the playoff failures linger in the mind, fairly or otherwise, and they're not sold yet that he's earned an extension. In that sense he's still having to prove himself and to do it in a more difficult situation than previously.

This team was always likely to be a slow burn and that has to be acknowledged. But they have to at least show they're building in the right direction. The next month is going to be very interesting.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I wonder how much copycat effect will result from last year's Edmonton Oilers?

On the one hand, they were nowhere near the playoffs on American Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, the catalyst for their incredible turnaround was firing the coach.

So even if the B's are sputtering in late November, there's hope.

But it may not bode well for Montgomery.

Reactions: BMC

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Dan is right though. They didn't give Sacco the Associate Coach title to not use it apparently. Maybe the players know and feel that Monty is on the way out so
he's lost their ears.
If I'm DS, I don't wait until December 1st.
By then, if they're not back on track, they'll be having to claw and struggle to make the playoffs, even with a new coach.
Of course if they win 90% of the games until then, I would wait but, it's a gamble if they don't get back on track by Thanksgiving.
Agree, hard to tell if it is Monty's game plan or is it all on the players, but they need to change things, they just don;t seem to have much drive and the other teams seem to control much of the play.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly believe it will get better, but some things need to change. There is no way the pp should be so bad.

We are so spoiled with the start of the last couple of seasons.
I like that Monty yelled at Brad and gave him a whack walking away

Sacco Magic

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Agree, hard to tell if it is Monty's game plan or is it all on the players, but they need to change things, they just don;t seem to have much drive and the other teams seem to control much of the play.
I’m impressed they could be 5-1 playing like it’s high school in early June where you have a lot going on and school is just something on the schedule you gotta go to

Monty is a heck of a nice guy to see him yelling at Brad and taking a push or slap at him was showing the pressure he’s feeling

Showing people up in public never ends well ~ they never forget. It’s always there

The Bruins are good enough to keep his job though ~ a win at Nashville they are on a 100 point pace

Easily they could put together 3 lines that are going well and historically good

Marchand - Lindholm - Pastrnak

Frederic - Coyle- Geekie
Beecher- Kastelic- Korpke

Zacha- Poitras - Johnson I’d try at second line

But the other 3 lines are all above average where slotted

Sacco Magic

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Monty is a heck of a nice guy to see him yelling at Brad and taking a push or slap at him was showing the pressure he’s feeling Showing people up in public never ends well ~ they never forget. It’s always thereThe Bruins are good enough to keep his job though ~ a win at Nashville they are on a 100 point pace Easily they could put together 3 lines that are going well and historically good
Frederic - Coyle- Geekie

Sacco Magic

At this point, that line is as bad as it gets.

A combined 2 goals, zero assists and -16.

So maybe Monty starts them in Nashville.

• Haha
Reactions: 22Brad Park

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I’m impressed they could be 5-1 playing like it’s high school in early June where you have a lot going on and school is just something on the schedule you gotta go to

Monty is a heck of a nice guy to see him yelling at Brad and taking a push or slap at him was showing the pressure he’s feeling

Showing people up in public never ends well ~ they never forget. It’s always there

The Bruins are good enough to keep his job though ~ a win at Nashville they are on a 100 point pace

Easily they could put together 3 lines that are going well and historically good

Frederic - Coyle- Geekie

Sacco Magic
Here’s mine:

Marchand/Lindholm/Pastrnak
Koepke/Beecher/Kastelic
XXX/Poitras/XXX (big like Lucic/Horton)
Zacha/Coyle/XXX

DKH will be happy to know that spellcheck changed Kastelic to Kierkegaard 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Hook

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Dan is right though. They didn't give Sacco the Associate Coach title to not use it apparently. Maybe the players know and feel that Monty is on the way out so
he's lost their ears.
If I'm DS, I don't wait until December 1st.
By then, if they're not back on track, they'll be having to claw and struggle to make the playoffs, even with a new coach.
Of course if they win 90% of the games until then, I would wait but, it's a gamble if they don't get back on track by Thanksgiving.
Well, how the Bruins play in Nashville may influence things.
It will either be 4 or 5 points on a 3 game road trip or 3 points.

It will either buy Montgomery more time as the team finds itself.

Or increase doubts in fans and possibly upper management if Montgomery is the right guy.

If Nashville wins it would be their first win of the season.

We don't want that

Reactions: BMC

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Here’s mine:

Marchand/Lindholm/Pastrnak
Koepke/Beecher/Kastelic
XXX/Poitras/XXX (big like Lucic/Horton)
Zacha/Coyle/XXX

DKH will be happy to know that spellcheck changed Kastelic to Kierkegaard 😉
Why does so many believe that putting Marchand up on the first line the answer, watch his game he is no longer a first line player, and why is taking Zacha away from Pasta a solution, when in the past they have shown chemistry, do you think it the new guy that should the one moved, I know this infatuation with him is hard to overcome when making decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad