Pre-Game Talk: Game 6: Bruins @ Leafs Thursday @8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If Keefe wasn't afraid to demote Marner I think the best lines if Matthews is back are this:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves/Dewar

Everything people say Keefe has been afraid of doing, he's done...

I think the Domi line was great last game and you should keep them together, push Tavares to 3C and move him up with Matthews/Nylander occasionally in the ozone.

You can insulate Tavared with Holmberg/Jarnkrok too

Last edited:
Reactions: CelticDruid and bax

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Well... hardly anyone believes in them anymore, yet here we are. One more win away from us getting sucked in again.... They certainly earned an additional game this year, and Woll was fantastic. We still need the PP and scoring to come alive, and strangely, I think that's possible in game 6. Here's to hoping Matthews finds some health, and comes back to lead the team.

But why do I feel like this?

View attachment 862998
They waited till too late to start Woll...weee GM 7!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
G
I get that everyone likes to take the piss out of me, and I have no problem with that. Having said that, if people read a bit deeper they would see that my opinion of this series really has much more to do with Boston than it does with the Leafs. I've said repeatedly that I think the Leafs would have a heck of time getting past the Hurricanes or the Rangers, and I still think that is the case. Can they get past Florida? I previously thought they could, and it's interesting to see that Bob's save percentage was under .900 against Tampa, but I can readily admit that Florida will not be an easy series.

But this is about Boston. I don't think this iteration of the Bruins can win anything, including this series. I would say the same if they had taken a 3-0 series lead. The Leafs gave Boston games 1 and 4. Silver platter stuff. That won't happen again, which means Boston will actually need to perform. Last night was a good example of their inability to do that. Their top player, who 99% of the people here praise as being so much better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc., is a playoff dud unless he can get a free look on the power play. Their coach is, if you can believe it, worse than Keefe because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else. If he's pissed now, I'm sure he'll be thrilled when he is coaching Ottawa next season. Their offense has degraded to the point of having to rely on DeBrusk and Frederic. As with most of the season, they have been largely saved by their goaltending. That approach has a way of backfiring the longer a series goes, as I think will happen here.

Anyway, diatribe over. As to the original point of what happens to Keefe, I do have a feeling that he will be spared after they win this series (assuming they don't beat Florida in the second round, because if they do there is no way he is getting fired) because of the circumstances under which it will be won: star players out, goaltending change, and yet a big comeback from being down 3 games to 1).
Light hearted busting your chops a bit here.

I don’t always agree with you, but you are an engaging poster who isn’t all about beating things to death to give yourself an “I won an internet argument” check mark like some other posters here.

I’d have a beer with you and talk Leafs.

Cheers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m guessing they had a day off today, no practice?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But this is about Boston. I don't think this iteration of the Bruins can win anything, including this series. I would say the same if they had taken a 3-0 series lead. The Leafs gave Boston games 1 and 4. Silver platter stuff. That won't happen again, which means Boston will actually need to perform. Last night was a good example of their inability to do that. Their top player, who 99% of the people here praise as being so much better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc., is a playoff dud unless he can get a free look on the power play. Their coach is, if you can believe it, worse than Keefe because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else. If he's pissed now, I'm sure he'll be thrilled when he is coaching Ottawa next season. Their offense has degraded to the point of having to rely on DeBrusk and Frederic. As with most of the season, they have been largely saved by their goaltending. That approach has a way of backfiring the longer a series goes, as I think will happen here.
How do you know? Rhetorical question because we all know the answer - you don't.

There was zero reason not to show up for game 4, but it happened. There was zero reason not to show up for game 3 against Florida last spring, but it happened. The only time this team ever puts together a stretch of games where they play well is when it's November or February, it just doesn't happen in the playoffs.

And BTW even last night, Boston played nowhere near as well as they can play, Woll played what was basically a perfect game, we played a full 60 minutes defensively and Boston was still only a crossbar away from winning the game. Bottom line - there is zero reason to be confident we beat Boston.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I get that everyone likes to take the piss out of me, and I have no problem with that. Having said that, if people read a bit deeper they would see that my opinion of this series really has much more to do with Boston than it does with the Leafs. I've said repeatedly that I think the Leafs would have a heck of time getting past the Hurricanes or the Rangers, and I still think that is the case. Can they get past Florida? I previously thought they could, and it's interesting to see that Bob's save percentage was under .900 against Tampa, but I can readily admit that Florida will not be an easy series.

Anyway, diatribe over. As to the original point of what happens to Keefe, I do have a feeling that he will be spared after they win this series (assuming they don't beat Florida in the second round, because if they do there is no way he is getting fired) because of the circumstances under which it will be won: star players out, goaltending change, and yet a big comeback from being down 3 games to 1).

FFS man it's playoffs, can you stop jinxing this team ?

Skip your daily jinx post twice and we might have a chance...

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How do you know? Rhetorical question because we all know the answer - you don't.

There was zero reason not to show up for game 4, but it happened. There was zero reason not to show up for game 3 against Florida last spring, but it happened. The only time this team ever puts together a stretch of games where they play well is when it's November or February, it just doesn't happen in the playoffs.

And BTW even last night, Boston played nowhere near as well as they can play, Woll played what was basically a perfect game, we played a full 60 minutes defensively and Boston was still only a crossbar away from winning the game. Bottom line - there is zero reason to be confident we beat Boston.
Call it semantics, but I am not confident in the Leafs winning - I'm confident in Boston losing. It just so happens that they are playing the Leafs. Trust me, I'm far less confident about the Leafs beating Florida.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Call it semantics, but I am not confident in the Leafs winning - I'm confident in Boston losing. It just so happens that they are playing the Leafs. Trust me, I'm far less confident about the Leafs beating Florida.
Fair enough. I wouldn't be too confident though, the Leafs could make it tough for them. ;)

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
If Keefe wants to fix the power play, he only needs to do one thing

1) Replace Tavares on the draw

Does this not drive anyone else nuts? I would like to know what his face-off percentage is on the opening draw of their 15 PP's this playoff. Just feels like he loses the vast majority and they can never recover it. When they lose it, you might as well erase 40 seconds while they try to complete the flying V formation to get it back in. Every once in a while why don't Marner or Nylander just try stickhandling straight in. Everyone and their mom expects the drop pass.

Also on the PP the puck dies with Tavares. Either a bad pass or a deflection off his stick etc. Move Bert to to PP1. Does it not seem obvious to everyone else?

Oh yeah...great game last night. Take it to 7

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Again, I ask of my fellow tortured brethren..

What is the Leafiest possible outcome for game 6?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
If Keefe wants to fix the power play, he only needs to do one thing

1) Replace Tavares on the draw

Does this not drive anyone else nuts? I would like to know what his face-off percentage is on the opening draw of their 15 PP's this playoff. Just feels like he loses the vast majority and they can never recover it. When they lose it, you might as well erase 40 seconds while they try to complete the flying V formation to get it back in. Every once in a while why don't Marner or Nylander just try stickhandling straight in. Everyone and their mom expects the drop pass.

Also on the PP the puck dies with Tavares. Either a bad pass or a deflection off his stick etc. Move Bert to to PP1. Does it not seem obvious to everyone else?

Oh yeah...great game last night. Take it to 7
Yeah, get Tavares the f*** off PP1. He provides nothing there, and everyone and their mother have figured out that if you can jam things up at the blue line so the Leafs have to move the puck to him, the PP attack is over. Because Tavares can't hold it anymore.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Yeah, get Tavares the f*** off PP1. He provides nothing there, and everyone and their mother have figured out that if you can jam things up at the blue line so the Leafs have to move the puck to him, the PP attack is over. Because Tavares can't hold it anymore.

I asked my mother about this and she couldn’t figure out the PP1 for the Leafs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Right at the end of ghe second period they showed Matthews not being able to skate up the ice after the face off and said looks like he injured his grion.

As other have said if he was sick he would not be around the team,when he came off the ice after his little skate the other day he grabbed a random water bottle from the behind boards had a drink and put it back..

Could be both actually, maybe he was sick then he hurt himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad