GDT: Game 54: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs 5/8/21 7:00pm EST CBC, SNE, TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why is Staal the 3rd line centre ? Ducharme is a f***ing moron. The Habs are winning tonight, regardless this awful coaching.
Get the feeling lines 1-4 tonight will all see changes and peole moving around.....no way Staal can handle 3rd line minutes.
Dom's blender usually gets the nod after the 2nd period....
9 years of pain, just wont go away....

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
#87 will be on a mission this year.....he wont have Price to worry about.
Pittsburgh showing was absolutely pathetic vs the habs. Crosby was the only player who gave a shit during that bo5. Malkin played like Jordan Weal.

Now With Carter Malkin and Crosby , they can do some heavy damage with some rest

They will most likely play NYI also. Good chance they make it to the second round.

Ovy vs Crosby round 2 would be niceeeeeeeeeeee

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Short leash kind of game. You can always tell what team shows up with this Habs group. I won't watch long if I sense they have mailed another game in.

A season that started with so much promise

Reactions: McGees

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oli Jokinen took a long time too.

Really hope KK makes the most out of his chance tonight. They set him up for success. Renaud Lamarde was speculating (i.e. he has inside sources) that he would be benched in the PO if he continued to struggle.

Yep he needs to take his chance. We say it a lot after things go South: Oh. but he never had the chance. I know it's one, maybe two games, but all those injuries should give the chance to the youngsters to show what they're worth when relied on. Caufield is doing pretty well right? Suzuki has worked his way to being our 1st C in 1 season and a half.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I’m just pointing out how low expectations have fallen.

But all these names being listed are the outliers. Generally if a guy doesn’t get better over his first 3 seasons, he’s not just gonna bust out into something special.

Like I said earlier in this thread, my expectations for KK aren't low at all. But, yours definitely are. And, KK should be in the outlier category since he still isn't close to be physically developed, which impacts his game a lot.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Like I said earlier in this thread, my expectations for KK aren't low at all. But, yours definitely are. And, KK should be in the outlier category since he still isn't close to be physically developed, which impacts his game a lot.
How much bigger do you want him? He’s put on about 20 pounds since his draft year no? At a certain he’d be sacrificing speed for muscle. This was the year he was supposed to be physically mature finally.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Personally I would exchange Suzuki for Kotkaniemi.

Staal and Caufield ? Hmmm. DD carrying on Habs tradition of neutralizing its own players ? Or genius ?

Reactions: dinodebino

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This team. The schedule is killing them almost literally at this point. Kinda wish to NHLPA would have fought for less games or for a longer timeframe to play the games.

Reactions: dinodebino

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This team. The schedule is killing them almost literally at this point. Kinda wish to NHLPA would have fought for less games or for a longer timeframe to play the games.

NHLPA doesn't even fight for headshots. NHLPA fights to make sure players get paid and that's it

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
MacKinnon didn't break out til year 5 too. Was considered a bust for a 1st overall from years 2-4.

Im not going to give up on the kid yet. He was rushed into the league. But starting next year, I need to start seeing some growth offensively or I will start to have serious doubts on whether he was a mistake or not.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How much bigger do you want him? He’s put on about 20 pounds since his draft year no? At a certain he’d be sacrificing speed for muscle. This was the year he was supposed to be physically mature finally.

Nope. Age 22. 20 pounds only puts him at 195. Playing weight should be 210.

He worked on power skating last summer, so his straight ahead speed has improved, but this year he needs to work on core strength, foot work and back/shoulders strength.

His puck control and skating is fine in open ice, but he struggles along the boards with both because his agility and edge work is poor.

When Suzuki goes into corners, he can reverse in any direction to protect the puck. KK can't. He falls and gives up the puck if he tries to reverse. That is fixable with core strength.

He still gets over matched physically along the boards too because he lacks leg drive. Again, fixable with core strength and upper body strength to hold guys off.

He's hesitant to attack D in transition because he knows he can't win physical battles yet. He'll get pushed off the puck, so he backs off. When he was a rookie, he attacked D all the time, but got thrown around a lot.

He should work with a figure skating coach this summer, and a trainer that can help build better core, back & shoulders strength without giving up speed.

KK was considered a project at draft time because he's a physical late bloomer. Some guys are huge at 16 - 18. KK is not one of those guys. My brother was 6'2, 175 at 18. By 22, he was 205. KK is one of those.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Did you peak at 20? Take breath. Have a coffee. Nobody in this league has peaked at 20, especially with coaches mishandling him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Im not going to give up on the kid yet. He was rushed into the league. But starting next year, I need to start seeing some growth offensively or I will start to have serious doubts on whether he was a mistake or not.

I actually think KK should play in Finland next season. Loan him out to Jokerit in KHL.

When you have guys on radio saying they'll give him til December then call him a bust, well, the pressure on him becomes enormous.

Go with Suzuki, Poehling, Evans & Vejdemo down the middle.

Put Caufield in AHL. KK in Finland.

Get a 2022 lottery pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad