Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - THE BEAR howls in the Rockies - BRUINS 5 Colorado 3

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Poitras really needs to keep his head up & on a swivel because if he doesn't his NHL career will be shortened by head injuries. Someone needs to have a serious talk with him.
Reminds me of that poor russian kid we traded for. His name escapes me but he played with his head down all the time. Had numerous concussions had to retire

Reactions: BMC

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Korpi had a good game , made big saves . Gave B's a chance to win .
I won't hold it against Sway since he missed training camp and preseason (and it has been showing IMO), but thought Korpi has been better so far.

Whole team needs to clean up defensively still and stop giving top PPs so many opportunities.

Reactions: BMC and hrdpuk

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why should the magic wear off? They’re big and fast and play big-boy hockey. They play fast and physical and are tough to handle below the dots. That leads to good things. Being a handful below the dots is a recipe for success. Nothing magical about it.

They are not all going to finish the year being PPG players, so the magic in that area will wear off. If they end up getting to 30 points each that would be amazing, and maybe one of the all time 4th lines.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It was a nice win and anytime you can beat that team you take it, but man I thought Colorado was a mess defensively last night. They had guys skating into each other, we had multiple breakaways...

That said, the Bruins also played a great first half of that game. I liked that Monty tinkered with the second line. They weren't clicking offensively and Frederic seemed to help them get tons of sustained OZ time. I don't know if he's the right fit long term, but it felt for the first time this year like we were hemming in the other team. The first line too, had their first "plus" game since MTL. Still no even strength goals for them but at least they outshot their opponents (again, first time since the MTL game).

They really handcuffed Poitras with Tufte and Jones. It's a shame because there is something to like about both of them but Tufte in particular really struggled last night and took bad penalties.

Kastelic line was great again and even got put out against MacKinnon late.

Zadorov's fight was hard to watch. Good that he stood up for Poitras but he can't be the source of the other team's momentum.

Colorado got in some big hits on Beecher, Marchand, Poitras...

Condolences to Eddie Olcyk on the loss.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Coyle isn't matching last year, but he isn't going to continue along at a .2PPG either.
Zacha won't produce at .4PPG either. I think some people are panicking about it specifically with them. I'm more concerned with Poitras play being impacted by getting crushed to often.

The worry and the challenge for Poitras is the way he's trying to play is very difficult to execute in the modern NHL. Wants to hold the puck, slow the game down, make plays, be a bit more east-west, all while not being the fastest skater. All very Krejci-like, but DK was a genius and tough in his own way. The other small-ish guys who excel at this type of thing these days - Jack Hughes and Aho and the like - have speed. Hard to pin down and they can usually skate their way out of trouble. Poitras can't do that so much and he's even smaller, so he's got to be more aware and careful.

Don't want him to change his style too much. It's a rare gift to see the ice the way he does and you don't want to take away from what works for him naturally, but he's got a lot to learn in terms of protecting himself and knowing which plays are viable for him and which aren't. Opposition defenders will take away your time and space in a flash at this level. Hopefully for Matt it's just a question of more time and experience. The talent is there, but working out how best to make use of it while avoiding trouble is going to take awhile to sort out. Fingers crossed he stays healthy in the meantime.

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Kenny is the ultimate professional and when he was allowed to talk, he was solid.
Imagine the play-by-play guy being given the opportunity to actually call the game! I think ESPN is even worse for that. Two colour commentators, I believe. And don't they have a former ref analyzing calls, too? If you happen to just be listening, you don't know what's happening on the ice, for Pete's sake. Don't get me started on PK...

Reactions: Alicat

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I can think of 3 times right off the top my head where Zacha was home free off Pasta feeds and just never finished. He buries those we can assume you would have a different take here.Heck he even jumped in & had a fight or took a few even ,he's engaged.
I don't see Zacha driving a line.... not enough engage. Will have flashes because he is definalty a talented player and is big, but IMO he needs a motor, a catalyser. He ain't working by himself.

Let's put him on the propose line and we will discuss after.

Zacha,Coyle, Frederic and Geekie will eventually start putting up some points and not the current rate they are now. More concerned with the overall team D.
I agree.... on the bold part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad