Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - THE BEAR howls in the Rockies - BRUINS 5 Colorado 3

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well that was a bit better. Both teams were scrappy to start with but the Bruins settled and then put in probably their best period and a half of the season so far. Good, sustained pressure, some nice puck movement, dominance of the neutral zone, forecheck working pretty well. Colorado played some terrible defense and were careless with the puck, and Boston could easily have led by more at the halfway mark if they'd had a little more finish. 1st and '4th' lines continue to do well.

End of the 2nd and most of the 3rd the Bruins got too complacent and passive, which should be a reminder as to how not to protect a lead if one is needed, but they held on and deserved the 2 points. The Avs are genuinely struggling but are a strong team on paper nonetheless and I think we can still be pretty pleased with what the Bs dished up here. Solid road win. Korpisalo has his shaky moments but made a couple of big stops too. He was tidy enough. Only his second real outing for the year, so early days.

Monty essentially ran with 3 and a bit lines - 13 mins for Lindholm's and 10 each for Coyle's and Beecher's. Poitras' 3rd only got 5:40 5v5. They weren't horrible in that time but they didn't offer much either. Thought Frederic did ok with Charlie and Brad, but the middle 6 remains a challenge. Not sure Monty changing things up really made much difference. If it gave the team as a whole a jolt then well and good, but I don't think it achieved too much in terms of giving the coach 4 readily usable and effective lines, and the TOI reflects that. I know Geekie has started the year poorly, but he surely offers more than Jones or Tufte. Give him some time with Poitras in a position to which he's more suited, and see what happens.

To state the cliche, points really are going to be at a premium in the Atlantic. The Leafs look in fine regular season form and are going to be vying for top spot, the Panthers remain strong, and early signs are that Tampa and Vasilevskiy may be rejuvenated and in a position to reverse their downwards slide. Again the Sabres and Red Wings are looking underwhelming, Sens perhaps stronger but still defensively suspect, but chances are things will really click for at least one of them at some point, and even if they don't, the three usual suspects are all there so it's crowded enough as it is. Boston's going to have to run up their tally consistently if they want to avoid the wildcard melee. Wins like this really help in that regard.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Will call out the refs here too.

Very favourable toward the Bruins tonight. And fortunate for us that they were as I’m not sure we even had a full minute of PK time over the three goals.

Fourth line very good. Yet again. Do NOT break them up. Ship Tufte to Providence and get Johnson in here.

A first in a while. Agitated TNT to no end. Good win.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Monty must have taken them out for the team building road trip dinner and had them just passing the potatoes the whole time because they looked much crisper in that department. Lohrei and Lindy's assists were the gravy. Congrats to Korpi for the first W, Goalie Bob still needs to work on having him let the game come to him as he seems a little too animated at times. Maybe Neely Dan can supply some of those gummie things he always refers to. If I'm a pro scout I'm keeping an eye on Tampa Bay's roster for any castaways with names I can't spell like Koepke or Verhaeghe

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
10:30pm start for me, so I only watched the first period, they looked good from what I saw, big improvement over the previous game. Glad they hung on for the win and the first for Korpisalo as a Bruin.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Did anyone think that hit on poitras was a penalty? Live time it looked bad / interference which led to the fight. 2 games in a row non calls (greer on pasta more obvious) lead to Bruins taking penalties and then power play goals and momentum shifts for the opposition. But like others said, Bs got away with a couple later on so can’t complain.

The refs were terrible both ways --- the pseudo choke-slam on Marchand by Manson was a pretty questionable one that didn't seem to get much mention by the on air crew.

I only saw it one or two times, so maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was worthy of a penalty.

Also, we've clearly been spoiled in the goaltending department for the last few years --- we're now like 85-90% of the rest of the league in that any win with our #2 in net has to be looked at like found money.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well he definitely caught him in the head. But his head was down staring at the puck, as usual, so . . . ?
I think there is legitimate concern for Poitras's long term status in the NHL. Kid better do something about his tendency for getting walloped.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

DENVER — The Bruins pulled a victory out of thin air Wednesday night, playing their most complete game of the young season in a 5-3 win over the Avalanche at Ball Arena.

The Bruins (3-2) dominated the first 40 minutes and then buttoned up and held off a furious rally by a desperate Avalanche squad that fell to 0-4.

“I think that’s the best team game we’ve had so far this year,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery. “I thought it was a complete 60-minute effort. They’re a really good team and they’re going to have their moments, but I really liked our poise.”

The Bruins also dodged a bullet when Brad Marchand appeared to avoid injury after absorbing a couple of big hits.

The Boston captain didn’t come out for the start of the third period but eventually returned and finished the game.

Marchand went crashing into the boards behind the net on a thundering check from Josh Manson and later took what appeared to be an elbow to the head from Mikko Rantanen, who was penalized for interference on the play.

“Brad’s fine,” said Montgomery. “Just a spasm.”

Charlie Coyle, who scored his first of the season, said it was a “huge” lift to see Marchand come back to help finish off Colorado.

“You never know what’s going on, your captain doesn’t come out right away and all of a sudden it gives you kind of a jolt of life when you see him,” said Coyle. “And I think if it was up to him, every time he’d come out, no matter what, of course ... He’s our leader, he’s one of our best players, and we need him in the lineup and it’s always, it gave us a little jolt of life to see him back out there and just his drive, his motivation, to be out there with us.”

The win was also the first as a Bruin for Joonas Korpisalo, who was solid all game but particularly sharp in the third period when he turned back 13 of 14 shots.

The Avalanche scored all three goals on the power play -- one each from Ross Colton, Cale Makar, and Rantanen.

“Korpy was really good for us tonight,” said defenseman Hampus Lindholm.

The Bruins opened the scoring when Cole Koepke redirected an Andrew Peeke snapper past Alexander Georgiev (20 saves).

After Colton tied it on a nice give-and-go with Rantanen, Coyle restored the lead with a power-play goal.

Collecting Hampus Lindholm’s dump in, Mason Lohrei coasted to the top of the right circle and sent a pass through the skates of defenseman Samuel Girard Coyle’s tape for the tap in.

“I didn’t know how it was going to come, but I knew he saw me, and I just tried to present myself and Mason’s a pretty skilled player and he found me pretty good,” said Coyle. “I didn’t have to do much with that. He put it on a platter.”

The Bruins increased their advantage to 4-1 with a couple of bang-bang goals.

With Rantanen in the box for his foul on Marchand, Hampus Lindholm jumped in deep and rifled a pretty pass across the blue paint to David Pastrnak, who went all Bobby Orr, knocking home the puck as he flew through the air in front of Georgiev.

Hampus Lindholm popped one home of his just 13 seconds after setting up Pastrnak. Lindholm wristed one

Hampus Lindholm said the fast start was the key for the Bruins.

“That was something we definitely emphasized as a team,” he said. “I mean their team’s got a lot of offensive power and with the altitude and stuff, we really wanted to make sure we got off to a good start and then just try to keep it going for a full 60.”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well that was a bit better. Both teams were scrappy to start with but the Bruins settled and then put in probably their best period and a half of the season so far. Good, sustained pressure, some nice puck movement, dominance of the neutral zone, forecheck working pretty well. Colorado played some terrible defense and were careless with the puck, and Boston could easily have led by more at the halfway mark if they'd had a little more finish. 1st and '4th' lines continue to do well.

End of the 2nd and most of the 3rd the Bruins got too complacent and passive, which should be a reminder as to how not to protect a lead if one is needed, but they held on and deserved the 2 points. The Avs are genuinely struggling but are a strong team on paper nonetheless and I think we can still be pretty pleased with what the Bs dished up here. Solid road win. Korpisalo has his shaky moments but made a couple of big stops too. He was tidy enough. Only his second real outing for the year, so early days.

Monty essentially ran with 3 and a bit lines - 13 mins for Lindholm's and 10 each for Coyle's and Beecher's. Poitras' 3rd only got 5:40 5v5. They weren't horrible in that time but they didn't offer much either. Thought Frederic did ok with Charlie and Brad, but the middle 6 remains a challenge. Not sure Monty changing things up really made much difference. If it gave the team as a whole a jolt then well and good, but I don't think it achieved too much in terms of giving the coach 4 readily usable and effective lines, and the TOI reflects that. I know Geekie has started the year poorly, but he surely offers more than Jones or Tufte. Give him some time with Poitras in a position to which he's more suited, and see what happens.

To state the cliche, points really are going to be at a premium in the Atlantic. The Leafs look in fine regular season form and are going to be vying for top spot, the Panthers remain strong, and early signs are that Tampa and Vasilevskiy may be rejuvenated and in a position to reverse their downwards slide. Again the Sabres and Red Wings are looking underwhelming, Sens perhaps stronger but still defensively suspect, but chances are things will really click for at least one of them at some point, and even if they don't, the three usual suspects are all there so it's crowded enough as it is. Boston's going to have to run up their tally consistently if they want to avoid the wildcard melee. Wins like this really help in that regard.
Seen enough of Tufte and he should be waived as soon as they comeback to Boston and sign Johnson.

Avs have depth issues with Toews, Nichushkin, Lehkonnen and Drouin out and Avs goaltending a mess.

Reactions: lopey

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A tale of two games. Really strong play until it was 4-1, then they just barely held on.

This fourth line is something else. They’re all over the place, in the best possible way. No exaggeration when I say I prefer them to get the minutes over the middle six guys.

Lindholm was great, but the D as a whole has been really stepping up offensively. They carry the scoring. Rarely are they stationary at the blue line, with or without the puck. All of them are always looking to push towards the net at every opportunity. It’s refreshing.

Great to see a barn full of Bruins fans way out in Colorado!

I’m not gonna lie though, Marchands big leap to sell the interference left a bad taste in my mouth. A win is a win, sure, cut that shit out. It was pathetic.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Thank you for the synopsis.

I was so busy at work I did not watch much of the Florida game. And last night I was tired, so I didn't stay up to watch the Colorado game.

With the day off, I will shortly check highlights from both.

Thanks again for the summation and analysis.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I was half in and half out last night as I had some work to complete. I am a bit surprised to see little discussion about Frederic. It seemed like he had a good night stepping up to the second line. It felt like he really should have been given the first opportunity over Geekie.

Now to figure out the Poitras line, which fortunately can be deployed as the 4th line until we figure something out there. I think Johnson gets the next shot to fit in with Geekie and Poitras. I would like to see the Providence kids start getting tryouts there if Johnson doesn't not take ownership of the spot. I didn't want to start the season with Lysell and Poitras together, but the play of the 4th line allows us much greater opportunity to play them in sheltered minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad