GDT: Game 5: New York Rangers @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 7pm ET, MSG

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
literally the worst talking point

there is no reason, ever, to sit a regular so a 7d can "get reps"

they don't exist to get reps. they exist to get in with injuries.

and this is the leafs. a top team. not some bottom feeding scrub

I just don't get it
The regular season doesn't matter for this team. It's October.

What's the odds that working in our 7D affects the result of this game? I think pretty low. What's the odds that that decision affects anything with the rest of the season? Basically infinitesimally small.

I think what people are actually concerned about is what this says about Laviolette's decision making processes as they relate to what will happen in May and June. But, for instance, we saw last year that he actually gave Fox the hard minutes in the playoffs that he was resting him for in the regular season. There are a number of reasons why a coach might think it's a good idea to do it, whether it's getting guys rest, making sure people stay game-sharp or even purely "people" related reasons (maybe Ruhwedel has looked great in practice and rewarding that with a game is a way of keeping morale high).

I don't think this actually says anything about the team's chances today or what they're going to do in the future.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Am I the only one that's happy with the lineup? We knew Lindgren would play but everyone assumed he'd play with Fox. Even if Mancini is better Lindgren as a bottom pairing defenseman isn't that bad. He's still serviceable.
Let him build up his value....right now, you wouldn't get a broken stick for him.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The regular season doesn't matter for this team. It's October.

What's the odds that working in our 7D affects the result of this game? I think pretty low. What's the odds that that decision affects anything with the rest of the season? Basically infinitesimally small.

I think what people are actually concerned about is what this says about Laviolette's decision making processes as they relate to what will happen in May and June. But, for instance, we saw last year that he actually gave Fox the hard minutes in the playoffs that he was resting him for in the regular season. There are a number of reasons why a coach might think it's a good idea to do it, whether it's getting guys rest, making sure people stay game-sharp or even purely "people" related reasons (maybe Ruhwedel has looked great in practice and rewarding that with a game is a way of keeping morale high).

I don't think this actually says anything about the team's chances today or what they're going to do in the future.
Yes. No one thinks a bad lineup in October matters. But we know that Lavy won’t hesitate to get Mancini and Jones off the ice at any moment when the games do matter. Regardless of how poorly guys are playing or how injured they are.

We just saw it with Trouba. Clearly hurt. Clearly hurting the team against Florida. Didn’t matter. Lavy doesn’t get benefit of the doubt.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Good move by Lavy to recognize that while Jones/Mancini have been on the ice for goals, they have the worst xG% of any D on the team and to make a change to that pairing before it hurts us against a better team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Haha. What a f***ing idiot. Ruhwedel sucks. Jones has played well. Perfect idea to start f***ing with his head early. Let him know who the boss is ya know.

I am okay with Ruhwedel getting a game is the mindset is to keep everyone fresh, but then I want to see the same standard applied to other D-men later on. Especially the ones that have played poorly.

Reactions: MrAlmost

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Would much rather get nothing for him and put our optimal lineup out there than have a worse lineup and build his value up.
We're 3-4 games into the season. Way too early to worry about Lavvy's lineup decisions. The only way he can find out about players, he has to use them. And if there's the added benefit of a players improving/showing how they play increasing their value, that's a win-win. I'm happy it's happening now -- I would be upset if this were mid-season or later.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
If you're in a horror movie, you make poor decisions
Let’s hide behind the chainsaws
IMG_1522.png

Last edited:

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
How dare you
Ha. I figured it was just another Ranger fan with zero patience with defensemen. Well any player really, but especially Dmen given that people always say it takes D longer. I mean, our 5th round defenseman isn’t a Norris candidate after 4 games? I think he’s been ok

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
I know puck drop is at about 7:10 tonight but does anyone know what times the Rempe Reaves fight is scheduled for?

Heh.
It's too bad this cheesieness is part of the sport, HNIC, have to have a heavyweight bout. Didn't Reeves take it easy on Rempe the time they fought?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We're 3-4 games into the season. Way too early to worry about Lavvy's lineup decisions. The only way he can find out about players, he has to use them. And if there's the added benefit of a players improving/showing how they play increasing their value, that's a win-win. I'm happy it's happening now -- I would be upset if this were mid-season or later.

Games count just as much now and we know what Chad R is, not good enough.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad