GDT: Game 49: Jets @ Avs | Saturday, February 4th, 1pm MT | Hero

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I told you, this team only wins when they claim a player off waivers. Last 2 games they have won was after Nieto claim and now Barberio. If they claimed one player before every game they'd be in the playoffs right now

Yeah, go figure. When baggage players are forced to sit in favor of guys who are hungry to play, you get good results.

But it's still all on the core. **** the core.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Missed the game but based on what I've read, I take it I should watch it?

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
It's hilarious reading the Jets board. They're convinced Zadorov's hits today were all dirty with malicious intent to injure lol.

It's good to have one of these days in a season like this.

Jets fan here. I come in peace. Or pieces after those Zadorov's hits. I for one think they were clean hits. He got our captain rattled early. He got that whole line off their game. Zadorov looked really poised out there. I'm looking forward to when these 2 teams meet in the 2020 playoffs. Go Jets Go!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm so glad we picked Nieto. I think I've not been this excited for a bottom 6er since Stephane Yelle.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ah, the death of a record tank.

In 2011, the Avs' best tank job ever was a 4-26-2 stretch. They just went 4-24-2, prior to today's win. Ah well....

And Zadorov. It's pretty nice to see a not-so-polite Avs player out there.

It's so dicey right now. I still maintain that the Avs make their big move at the draft, when more teams can legitimately play.

He's one of the biggest enigmas of this season. Some of our guys simply suck, others have had age steal what they once had, but Soderberg does possess hockey skill. Something else is going on with him. I don't expect Vegas to take on that contract, so I hope Bednar can grow as a NHL coach and find what's been lost.

Zads absolutely bosses guys physically, but he's pretty polite about it :laugh:

Meloche is going to be that simply nasty dman for us that Foote once was.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sharks fan here, glad to hear Nieto is really doing well for you guys. Everyone in Sharksland liked him and were sad to see him leave, but glad that he'd get a regular opportunity to play. So, makes us happy to see him have success, and to see how much you guys have been liking him so far.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What a complete joke. Referees are ruining this game. Zadorov with a 100% clean hit. Straight on, elbow down, doesn't leave his feet, doesn't skate into the hit. He gets jumped by two players, never throws a punch, and gets two minutes for charging, and five for fighting.

What the hell is that crap? He shouldn't have been in the box at all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Matt Nieto has played 11 games for this team, and he already has more goals than:

Tyson Barrie, Francois Beauchemin, Patrick Wiercioch, Nikita Zadorov, Erik Johnson, Fedor Tyutin, Joe Colborne, Andreas Martinsen, Cody Goloubef, John Mitchell, and Eric Gelinas.

Only 1 less goal than Mikhail Grigorenko and Carl Soderberg.

Lol.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
This game made me so happy, I literally almost cried.

People are right about Zadorov. I don't know if people noticed, but he became a spot defender. The opposition literally knew when he was on the ice, and took the time to avoid him. I remember similar things (and I'm not putting THIS much pressure on him right now) beinf said about Zdeno Chara as he was coming through.

Yes, he turtled in the tussle, but I give you a tip...the opposition is bloody lucky he did, because he would have beat the crap out of Trouba (was it Trouba?). He was thinking team first, and didn't want to get the 5 minute major (which these mong officials gave anyway).

FINALLY, an Avs player with some damned intimidation. Those who remember watching Blake and/or Footer play would remember what this feels like :)

member 116861

Matt Nieto has played 11 games for this team, and he already has more goals than:

Tyson Barrie, Francois Beauchemin, Patrick Wiercioch, Nikita Zadorov, Erik Johnson, Fedor Tyutin, Joe Colborne, Andreas Martinsen, Cody Goloubef, John Mitchell, and Eric Gelinas.

Only 1 less goal than Mikhail Grigorenko and Carl Soderberg.

Lol.

Matt Nieto makes me so happy because I usually cheer extra for the bottom 6 forwards who are only in the league because they work harder. Our team has zero of these guys, our bottom 6 consists of lazy *******s.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
The whole turtle thing isn't a thing. He was jumped from behind, and wasn't ever really given the opportunity to respond. He has stepped up to fight with more intimidating players than Trouba (as if Trouba is remotely intimidating).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I watched that hit 50x now and for the life of me I cannot understand how the refs called that charging. Z plants his feet and smashes Mark. Z does not take 6 steps into Mark, Z had his elbows tucked in. How the **** do you call that charging? And fighting? Getting jumped means you were in a fight now? **** off Refs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The whole turtle thing isn't a thing. He was jumped from behind, and wasn't ever really given the opportunity to respond. He has stepped up to fight with more intimidating players than Trouba (as if Trouba is remotely intimidating).

Anyone calling Z a turtle needs to see him answering the call with Josh Manson after Z hit one of the ducks. Z didnt have to fight Manson with the Avs holding a 1-0 in the third....but he did.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I watched that hit 50x now and for the life of me I cannot understand how the refs called that charging. Z plants his feet and smashes Mark. Z does not take 6 steps into Mark, Z had his elbows tucked in. How the **** do you call that charging? And fighting? Getting jumped means you were in a fight now? **** off Refs.

As other have said, pages and pages ago (ie don't blame you for not seeing it), the refs were probably just managing the game. Keeping Zads off the ice to cool down the Jets. There is no way they actually thought his play deserved any penalty.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

By both Trouba and Laine. Not one player challenging him face to face. Two players from behind.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Didn't you see that one guy say Trouba would've cleaned his clock? Although Zadorov is bigger, more physical and has two times the fights on record although he's a year younger.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
What a complete joke. Referees are ruining this game. Zadorov with a 100% clean hit. Straight on, elbow down, doesn't leave his feet, doesn't skate into the hit. He gets jumped by two players, never throws a punch, and gets two minutes for charging, and five for fighting.

What the hell is that crap? He shouldn't have been in the box at all.

I'm in the minority but I'm kind of ok with what the refs did. Not that Z deserved any penalties but it allowed for emotions to calm down a bit. The only issue I had in that sequence is that Laine should have been given a penalty for 3rd man in if they're going to call that fighting on both sides.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I'm so glad we picked Nieto. I think I've not been this excited for a bottom 6er since Stephane Yelle.

I have the same feeling regarding Nieto. (though in my case I liked a few other bottom 6ers during this period. last one, Bordeleau)

damn, too bad I couldn't watch this game. can't believe we are so close to breaking the 100 goals scored mark still already. :handclap:

on a side note, I think any coach that manages to lose to this current Avs should be fired on spot. inexcusable. :P

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think my favorite part of the Zadorov hit was the fact that Keefe and Mcnabb knew it was coming. I was looking away for a second talking to my fiancé and one of those guys said something like "Ohhhh boy" or "uh oh" and I turned to the screen and then BAM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad