GDT: Game 48: Bruins @ Avs | Wednesday, January 21st, 8pm MT | Ode to the Condor

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm not so sure you understand how quickly the mind works. Your brain doesn't need to get back to 100% ready. He saw the move being made, therefore he knew where the puck was going. He anticipated where the shot was going (to his left). He was already set (well, as set as he could be) and making his move. All he had to do was continue his move, which he did, and make the stop. Like i said, it's not like the shot was taken right at that microsecond. The brain didn't need to reanalyze the play again. Nothing happened in that microsecond other than the puck moving another couple inches or so in the exact same direction he saw the puck going already.

He can't move his glove up before the shot. That would then leave a hole right above his leg. Hindsight at its finest. Sure, he could have had his glove higher before the shot, but that would have just been blindly guessing where the shot was going. The percentages suggest the shot is going low. He had his leg and gloved stack in order to take away the bottom. You can't expect the goalie to know exactly where the shot is going. He knew it was going left so he took away the bottom portion of the left side, because he wasn't in a position to slide completely over taking away the top and bottom. So RoR went high. And there is no way a goalie can react to a shot from that close. You just get into the best position possible and hope that's enough.

Huge difference between "maybe less than a second" and the actual nanosecond it took him to get his eyes across Cody's body.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not so sure you understand how quickly the mind works. Your brain doesn't need to get back to 100% ready. He saw the move being made, therefore he knew where the puck was going. He anticipated where the shot was going (to his left). He was already set (well, as set as he could be) and making his move. All he had to do was continue his move, which he did, and make the stop. Like i said, it's not like the shot was taken right at that microsecond. The brain didn't need to reanalyze the play again. Nothing happened in that microsecond other than the puck moving another couple inches or so in the exact same direction he saw the puck going already.

He can't move his glove up before the shot. That would then leave a hole right above his leg. Hindsight at its finest. Sure, he could have had his glove higher before the shot, but that would have just been blindly guessing where the shot was going. The percentages suggest the shot is going low. He had his leg and gloved stack in order to take away the bottom. You can't expect the goalie to know exactly where the shot is going. He knew it was going left so he took away the bottom portion of the left side, because he wasn't in a position to slide completely over taking away the top and bottom. So RoR went high. And there is no way a goalie can react to a shot from that close. You just get into the best position possible and hope that's enough.

Huge difference between "maybe less than a second" and the actual nanosecond it took him to get his eyes across Cody's body.

That's absolutely fine if you want to believe that, and apparently I can't convince you otherwise. If want to believe that goalies don't read plays, anticipate shots, and make movements before plays happen that's fine. If you want to argue that someone standing inches in front of a goalies eyes causing him to lose sight of the puck (even for a short period of time) and look around him to find it, didn't have an impact on why the goal was scored, that's also fine.

But, in an attempt to make the time he lost sight of the puck seem as short as possible, you're telling me how the brain works, and have intentionally distilled this play down from the actual time of about .5-1 second, to an "actual nanosecond" of which you've used the word five times now. A nanosecond is 1 billionth of a second, during which light travels about 12 inches. The thought to take the puck to the backhand hadn't even reached O'Reilly's muscles in an "actual nanosecond."

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
ROR has terrible TDD. Trade him

Eh, Herb should've broken them up sooner. Marchand was trying to set up the takedown, but he wasn't making any progress towards it or working for it for a good long while until after RoR let up when the red stepped in...

ROR is no Fedya or Lyoto, but his TDD was adequate there.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That's absolutely fine if you want to believe that, and apparently I can't convince you otherwise. If want to believe that goalies don't read plays, anticipate shots, and make movements before plays happen that's fine. If you want to argue that someone standing inches in front of a goalies eyes causing him to lose sight of the puck (even for a short period of time) and look around him to find it, didn't have an impact on why the goal was scored, that's also fine.

But, in an attempt to make the time he lost sight of the puck seem as short as possible, you're telling me how the brain works, and have intentionally distilled this play down from the actual time of about .5-1 second, to an "actual nanosecond" of which you've used the word five times now. A nanosecond is 1 billionth of a second, during which light travels about 12 inches. The thought to take the puck to the backhand hadn't even reached O'Reilly's muscles in an "actual nanosecond."

What? Exactly where did I say goalies don't read plays, anticipate shots and make movements before a play happens? My whole argument is based on the idea that goalies do this and because of this they are not going to lose track of a play just because they lose sight of the puck for a split second. If they lose sight right when a move is made (when the puck changes direction) then that will delay their reaction. But because goalies do read plays and anticipate things then if they see the beginning of the move (pulling the shot backhand into the slot) and the end (the shot) then they are not going to be delayed in the middle of the move because they know where the puck is going and they are already reacting to the play.

If you want to take the nanosecond thing literal that's on you dude. I was obviously using hyperbole to prove a point. Saying a fraction of a second just didn't seem like it would get the point across (I mean, .5 is a fraction and I'm trying to say he was quicker than that). Obviously saying nanosecond hasn't either. Rask would have to be moving like a sloth (again, hyperbole) in order for it to take him even half a second to just simply get his head around Cody's body, especially since he was already reacting and moving that direction before losing sight of the puck for however short of time he did.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What? Exactly where did I say goalies don't read plays, anticipate shots and make movements before a play happens? My whole argument is based on the idea that goalies do this and because of this they are not going to lose track of a play just because they lose sight of the puck for a split second. If they lose sight right when a move is made (when the puck changes direction) then that will delay their reaction. But because goalies do read plays and anticipate things then if they see the beginning of the move (pulling the shot backhand into the slot) and the end (the shot) then they are not going to be delayed in the middle of the move because they know where the puck is going and they are already reacting to the play.

If you want to take the nanosecond thing literal that's on you dude. I was obviously using hyperbole to prove a point. Saying a fraction of a second just didn't seem like it would get the point across (I mean, .5 is a fraction and I'm trying to say he was quicker than that). Obviously saying nanosecond hasn't either. Rask would have to be moving like a sloth (again, hyperbole) in order for it to take him even half a second to just simply get his head around Cody's body, especially since he was already reacting and moving that direction before losing sight of the puck for however short of time he did.

To me it's crystal clear that the screen was very effective and that the loss of sight on the puck (albeit short) had a big impact on the goal being scored. You don't feel the same way, and I disagree with a lot of the points you made about why not, but as I said that is perfectly fine. Either way, I'm glad we were able to make our points without it being too heated as it has been before. :cheers:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Just want to interject a couple things. First, the puck takes about 0.1s to got forehand-backhand in this case...at best. That is assuming he can move the puck at 40ft/s while stick handling, which I think is generous, but makes for a nice round number, at ~1/4 of Weber's slapshot. And to continue my theme of a slapshot...a goalie has trouble reacting to said shot when released 80ft away. A full half second, and he cannot always get his glove in the way. So one tenth of a second is plenty to disrupt a goalie. He does not have to be blinded, there does not have to be a move made while he cannot see the puck. Break his line of sight, and it is a disruption. Yes, NHL goalies can pick it up quick, and react accordingly...but if a play is quick enough, that 0.1s can be the reason a goal is scored.

I also wonder how much of a discussion there would be if it were Landy causing the split second screen. I am betting everyone would give him full credit for "paying the price" and lauding his return to power forward greatness. Not disparaging Landy, just commenting on how we all evaluate plays based on who makes them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just want to interject a couple things. First, the puck takes about 0.1s to got forehand-backhand in this case...at best. That is assuming he can move the puck at 40ft/s while stick handling, which I think is generous, but makes for a nice round number, at ~1/4 of Weber's slapshot. And to continue my theme of a slapshot...a goalie has trouble reacting to said shot when released 80ft away. A full half second, and he cannot always get his glove in the way. So one tenth of a second is plenty to disrupt a goalie. He does not have to be blinded, there does not have to be a move made while he cannot see the puck. Break his line of sight, and it is a disruption. Yes, NHL goalies can pick it up quick, and react accordingly...but if a play is quick enough, that 0.1s can be the reason a goal is scored.

I also wonder how much of a discussion there would be if it were Landy causing the split second screen. I am betting everyone would give him full credit for "paying the price" and lauding his return to power forward greatness. Not disparaging Landy, just commenting on how we all evaluate plays based on who makes them.

When I timed it on my phone it took about .60 second to go from backhand to the puck traveling past Rask (give or a take a tenth of a second here or there) though I agree with you general point. I also agree with your point of this goal being slighted given that it was McLeod that caused the screen, though maybe Landy wasn't the best example as a counterpoint because IMO he's receive his share of unfair blame this year given his expected role too.

Given the much lesser role though, people are very hard pressed to give McLeod much credit for anything this year. Because of how much he's given to this team over the years, that's why I've gone out of my way to point out how much he does to help this team. In the two decades this team has been of existence, he deserves as much respect as anybody given how much he's cared about this team, and him being given the opportunity to be on the ice 6 on 5, and come through with a big screen for an absolutely HUGE tying goal in the dying seconds just shows he's no passenger in this teams success. He bleeds as much (both figuratively and literally) for this team that we all love, as Duchene, or Landy, or Varly. He doesn't view it as simply a job like other 3rd or 4th liners, he truly cares about this team as a player as much as we do as fans, and that should command a lot more respect than it does IMO. That's just my point of view though.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I was going with best case of 0.1s. Even Kane takes longer (I timed some ASG skills bits...significantly longer than that when doing the row of orange pucks...but still friggin fast).

You are correct that Landy has taken a bit of heat this year. Some overboard, and some well deserved, given his play and his role (both ways). But any time he does something good, we all (myself included) give him credit for it. None of this crap like McLeod is catching about it not being an important part of the play. Hell, a post or two right after the goal were giving Everberg sole credit for the screen. And some were blaming him for "making himself small so the goalie could see." There is a fine line between making yourself big for a screen, and blocking your teammates shots.

Anyhow, we agree that McLeod did something good here. And I agree that we all should show him a bit more respect. But I do feel that there are times when he should not be out there, or even should be a scratch. But he has earned a forever place in my heart for what he has given this team. And what the hell do I know anyway...I would not have put him out there to tie the game with an empty net, and he was a big part of the scoring play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was going with best case of 0.1s. Even Kane takes longer (I timed some ASG skills bits...significantly longer than that when doing the row of orange pucks...but still friggin fast).

You are correct that Landy has taken a bit of heat this year. Some overboard, and some well deserved, given his play and his role (both ways). But any time he does something good, we all (myself included) give him credit for it. None of this crap like McLeod is catching about it not being an important part of the play. Hell, a post or two right after the goal were giving Everberg sole credit for the screen. And some were blaming him for "making himself small so the goalie could see." There is a fine line between making yourself big for a screen, and blocking your teammates shots.

Anyhow, we agree that McLeod did something good here. And I agree that we all should show him a bit more respect. But I do feel that there are times when he should not be out there, or even should be a scratch. But he has earned a forever place in my heart for what he has given this team. And what the hell do I know anyway...I would not have put him out there to tie the game with an empty net, and he was a big part of the scoring play.

I don't think they have the luxury of scratching him this year. I think there will be a time in the not too distant future though where he'll rotate in and out of the lineup, rather than being a fixture in it. Some of the younger guys will start to take his spot in certain games where they need more scoring depth over grit, next year IMO.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
not looking forward to this game, they always play bad against eastern teams it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad