GDT: Game 44: Aves @ Habs - January 15, 2024 7PM ET (Nuked edition)

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Curious minds should wonder how much longer Bednar will coddle george? There was more of that during bed's post game presser.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’ve been critical of Georgiev’s soft goals this year, but he was not the problem in this game. The D men were.

1st goal - He makes a great save and needs help from his defenseman on the rebound. Toews or Cogs needs to tie up the man’s stick. Instead they basically give up a 2 on 0 back door tap in.

2nd goal - Probably like to have back, but Pinard was trying to scoop the puck top shelf, and he fanned on it and it threw Goergie off. He didn’t know the puck was sitting on the ice. Bit of a flukey goal, but again he could use some help from a defenseman taking the rebound option away. Manson fell down and couldn’t get back to tie up Pinard's stick.

3rd goal - A little too deep in his net probably, but also just a great shot top shelf post and in from Caufield. Savable but would have been a great save. Toews got suckered into the fake shot, then spun himself around to try and block it, so he didn’t block the pass to Caufield, and then wasn’t in position to contest Caufield’s shot, who had a little too much time and space to pick the corner.

4th goal - Girard was covering nobody with his D partner standing next to him, and then let the puck go between his legs for another backdoor tap in. Again needs help from his D men, but didn’t get it. G helped create some offense, but didn’t have a very good game. IN addition to the goal, he had 4+ preventable turnovers that could have ended up in the Avs net.

Flukey loss for the Avs IMO. They were the better team, but their PK let them down for once, and Makar’s shots weren’t going in. Montreal got some good bounces, blocked a ton of shots, and also played a motivated game, and gutted out the win. Kudos to them.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I know I’ll get heat for this but our goaltending would be so much better with Kuemper this year
21-22 pre eye injury Kuemper - absolutely

22 playoffs Cotton Eye Joe - depressingly realistic chance still given he still had a better good to bad game ratio than George has for months

This season’s Kuemper who seems to be losing the net to and absolutely being massively outplayed by a 30 year old journeyman that the Blues didn’t even bother to keep - absolutely not but that’s an indictment of just how bad Kuemper has been more than a positive for George

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ve been critical of Georgiev’s soft goals this year, but he was not the problem in this game. The D men were.

1st goal - He makes a great save and needs help from his defenseman on the rebound. Toews or Cogs needs to tie up the man’s stick. Instead they basically give up a 2 on 0 back door tap in.

2nd goal - Probably like to have back, but Pinard was trying to scoop the puck top shelf, and he fanned on it and it threw Goergie off. He didn’t know the puck was sitting on the ice. Bit of a flukey goal, but again he could use some help from a defenseman taking the rebound option away. Manson fell down and couldn’t get back to tie up Pinard's stick.

3rd goal - A little too deep in his net probably, but also just a great shot top shelf post and in from Caufield. Savable but would have been a great save. Toews got suckered into the fake shot, then spun himself around to try and block it, so he didn’t block the pass to Caufield, and then wasn’t in position to contest Caufield’s shot, who had a little too much time and space to pick the corner.

4th goal - Girard was covering nobody with his D partner standing next to him, and then let the puck go between his legs for another backdoor tap in. Again needs help from his D men, but didn’t get it. G helped create some offense, but didn’t have a very good game. IN addition to the goal, he had 4+ preventable turnovers that could have ended up in the Avs net.

Flukey loss for the Avs IMO. They were the better team, but their PK let them down for once, and Makar’s shots weren’t going in. Montreal got some good bounces, blocked a ton of shots, and also played a motivated game, and gutted out the win. Kudos to them.
Gotta disagree strongly on goals 2 and 3. I don't know what kind of position that is for Georgiev on goal 2, but Harvey-Pinard should not be scoring like that five hole.

The third goal he is so insanely deep in his net, he's slow to challenge and it allows Caufield the entire net to shoot at. There's no reason he should be getting beat like that far side when it's not even over his shoulder.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

It doesn’t matter. From now on every single loss is gonna be on Georgiev. It has been for a while and will continue to be. Some folks just made up their minds like that permanently

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gotta disagree strongly on goals 2 and 3. I don't know what kind of position that is for Georgiev on goal 2, but Harvey-Pinard should not be scoring like that five hole.

The third goal he is so insanely deep in his net, he's slow to challenge and it allows Caufield the entire net to shoot at. There's no reason he should be getting beat like that far side when it's not even over his shoulder.

Don't disagree on the positioning, but I don't think we're very good here at identifying mistakes from defenseman.

If Manson doesn't fall down Pinard doesn't get a second wack at the rebound for the goal.

If Toews doesn't get suckered into the fake shot and spin himself around to block it, he's in position to either block the pass to Caufield, or contest the shot.

On the first goal, if Toews or Cogs tie up the man's stick, there's no 2 on 0 backdoor tap in.

If Girard isn't covering nobody, and letting the puck go between his legs, the GWG doesn't happen.

It's not just Georgiev, that's the easy answer IMO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't disagree on the positioning, but I don't think we're very good here at identifying mistakes from defenseman.

If Manson doesn't fall down Pinard doesn't get a second wack at the rebound for the goal.

If Toews doesn't get suckered into the fake shot and spin himself around to block it, he's in position to either block the pass to Caufield, or contest the shot.

I agree on Manson, but on the 3rd goal I just don't think anyone on the ice is expecting Georgiev to allow that puck to beat him. So while Toews is slow to react and Caufield has time to shoot, he doesn't pick a top corner over the shoulder in a way that would make you think "wow, amazing shot." He puts it across Georgiev's body to the other side of the net. It's a horrific goal to give up, especially in the 3rd period of a 2-2 tie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see much difference between 2022 Kuemper and 2024 Georgiev. Kuemper had problems with soft goals in the regular season too, before the eye injury.

Only difference I see is their AAV. Goergiev is making $3.4M and Kuemper made $4.5M with the Avs (not including the $1M retention) and $5.25M this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar said something interesting in the post game.

He was asked if he considers splitting up Toews and Makar and he said, "It more depends on how we're playing as a team, and how they're playing together. If it warrants them being together, and they're a dominant line, then we like to keep em together. We're running out of some other options here recently becasue of injuries and what not...."

This is what the Byram critics don't understand. When he wants to switch things up, Bednar pairs Bo with Makar. Whether they need a goal or not, he usually does this with around 7-8 minutes to go in the second period pretty much every game.

He paired G with Makar a bit in this game, but judging from his comments, that's not a preferred pairing for him. And it shouldn't be, they've had issues defensively in the past, and tend to give up odd man rushes with poorly timed pinches.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It doesn’t matter. From now on every single loss is gonna be on Georgiev. It has been for a while and will continue to be. Some folks just made up their minds like that permanently
Maybe, but there is a reason this is the case. Stop playing like shit and maybe people would hop off his back.

I mean when is the last time the guy strung together a stretch of 3 solid games in a row? I honestly can't remember.

On this trip so far so so game against Toronto got lucky offense bailed him out, and tonight a just awful game where the team played well in front of him and he couldn't stop a beach ball.

Until he strings together a nice stretch of decent hockey he's probably going to take a lot of blame and he deserves it. Most teams wouldn't keep running out a guy with his numbers this consistently. We just don't really have any other option.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

On the first goal, if Toews or Cogs tie up the man's stick, there's no 2 on 0 backdoor tap in.

If Girard isn't covering nobody, and letting the puck go between his legs, the GWG doesn't happen.

3 of the goals tonight were completely saveable, defensive gaffs or not. His play tonight was completely unacceptable. This loss falls a lot on his shoulders. Make some routine saves and the team wins. Montreal should have at best scored 2.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Georgiev is so f***ing trash, I’m sick to my stomach thinking about him being our starter in the playoffs
This is me thinking about that.

young-man-relaxing-in-cozy-armchair-on-white-background-TW8C1H.jpg

(This guy is getting the best Blue Jackets in the world, they edited it out for the stock photo.)

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I don't see much difference between 2022 Kuemper and 2024 Georgiev. Kuemper had problems with soft goals in the regular season too, before the eye injury.

Only difference I see is their AAV. Goergiev is making $3.4M and Kuemper made $4.5M with the Avs (not including the $1M retention) and $5.25M this year.

Kuemper was .921 with us and Georgiev is .896 now with us. Kuemper’s goals saved above expected per 60 was 16th in the league and Georgiev is now 38th. That’s the difference between The Cup and first round exit and i would say that is a big difference.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kuemper was .921 with us and Georgiev is .896 now with us. Kuemper’s goals saved above expected per 60 was 16th in the league and Georgiev is now 38th. That’s the difference between The Cup and first round exit and i would say that is a big difference.

Can't compare that powerhouse team to this years. Georgiev's been ok. Not that great, but not terrible either. Made some big saves and also let in some soft goals. Just like Kuemper.

Georgiev leads the league in wins, and while this is a team stat, we all know the team hasn't played well enough this year to get that kind of stat with a bad goaltender.

His save percentage stats are also pretty misleading. The way the team has played this year is terrible for a goalie's save percentage.

They don't give up many shots, but when they do, they're glorious chances from breakdowns.

Avs are 5th in the league in shots against per game, but Sportsnet said Georgiev leads the league in High Danger Chances faced.

Avs were 19th in shots against in 21-22, so this padded Kuemper's save percentage.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
You’d sure love to get something, anything, out of Johansen at this point. He’s really an unfortunate hockey player. I’m going to throw up if the Avs hold onto him beyond the deadline

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
You’d sure love to get something, anything, out of Johansen at this point. He’s really an unfortunate hockey player. I’m going to throw up if the Avs hold onto him beyond the deadline

The Avs can't afford to trade away assets just to get rid of him.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Having to play the top guys almost 30 minutes a game in a regular season match against a soft opponent is so nauseating. I don't even blame Bednar since he has not choice but this an awful way to manage the team barely past the halfway mark.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
If losing to teams like Montreal means beating teams like Vegas, Dallas, Leafs, I’d take it. Better than the opposite.

This is true as well but still. I'll feel a bit cheated if we beat those teams and pull up duds against the Habs and Sens on back to back nights lol. I really wish we would have at least gotten it to OT last night. That 4th goal against was such a collosal team f*** up (skaters and George).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Rewatching the goals again:

No chance for Allen on Avs 1st goal. 3 chances on net in tight, 3rd one goes in
No chance for Georgiev on Canadiens 1st goal. Stops the initial backdoor pass, can't stop the rebound.
No chance for Allen on Avs 2nd goal. That is a howitzer with three bodies in front of him.
Disgusting goal allowed by Georgiev on Canadiens 2nd goal. No idea why he's got one knee up and one knee down. Five hole was WIDE open.
Disgusting goal allowed by Georgiev on the Canadiens 3rd goal. He is so f***ing out of position in his net, it beats him far side. How?
Disgusting goal allowed by Allen on the Avs 3rd goal. That one timer was a muffin, he didn't read it properly.
Disgusting goal allowed by Georgiev on the Canadiens 4th goal. How he continues to lose track of where the puck is makes me go mad. Just pathetic.

3 of 4 Canadiens goals were bad goals compared to just 1 for the Avs.

This is why we lose games. This absolute sieve we have in goal.

Preach it, brother.

He’s f***ing cooked.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Our line-up last night really reminded me of some dark times.......

Its clear as night that we need help..... And we need it fast....

With Nuke now gone (and i expect 6-8 weeks), it even looks bleaker.

WIth Elvis asking for a trade out of Columbus, is there a chance for a bigger trade with them? Just askin.....

tornadowarning33

Feb 15, 2018
Other than being top three in high danger SV%, Elvis has worse numbers than George across the board this year. Not sure he's a viable solution, other than the fact that goaltending is voodoo and always will be. I mean, Seattle is getting something resembling real live goaltending for the first time in their history out of *checks notes* Joey Daccord.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The Avs can't afford to trade away assets just to get rid of him.
I disagree. That $4m in cap is huge, and they have him next season as well. He’s barely even a 3C at this point. They gambled and it didn’t work out, gotta move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad