Low Effort GDT Game 4 | Why has God forsaken us! - Sens vs Devils - 7PM EST on TSN

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's not about going 100 all the time or not...it's just about going to the net.

On quite a few occasions I've seen Timmy looking like he would be in a prime position to shoot if there was a senator player screening the goalie...only there isn't. What there is, however, is Brady in the slot looking like prime heatley with 3 guys on him. Do the simple thing and just drive the net.
Agreed.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
I think a lot of people's frustrations at the Team right now is simply this:

It isn't the 2-2 record, although it'd be nicer if it was 3-1 and that the ones that hit the post went in and it made the game that much more interesting.

It's the clear disinterest by some of the top players on the team with a new coach that said he'd bring accountability. It's four games in but for people who have been watching the team for years now, it's incredibly concerning that this whole "come prepared to the game to play the game" mentality that should have been instilled since the start of the pre season game seems to have disappeared after game 4.

A lot of people's frustration is just to not see progress with a team, that at this point, should be progressing more.

You can argue that the goaltending has been subpar, which it has. But this game was not lost due to the goaltending solely. The team just stopped playing after one goal.

It brings back shades of last year where some people called the group "fragile". You don't want that as a way for opponents to play you and view you. It's not a good mentality.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume this was a just really bad game for a lot of the players. But it definitely raised my hairs to see this type of play by players who have coaches that should be holding them accountable.

We'll see if Tampa Bay is any better, really. It's another measuring stick for Ottawa.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Senovision

May 23, 2011
They did what we’ve already done against the Kings or Panthers. Got the extra bounce or the extra save.

Tonight we didn’t, and we lost.

The only real clunker we’ve had is against Montreal.

1/4 is no reason to panic.
We could be just as easily 1-3. If Ullmark had not started game one. He stole that one.
The game against LA could have gone either way too. We didn't blow out LA.
I think it will take time to adjust to adding 6 to 8 roster players.......

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Interesting discussion.

We held our own against a good team. Hit a shitload of posts and didn’t get half a dozen penalties called.

Forsberg was average, which is what we need out of him.

Cant win if we don’t score. But we had as many or more good chances than them, that should go our way more often than not.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brady and Giroux easily been the most disappointing players (besides Forsberg). They also both have <1 month old newborns at home. Hopefully that's the cause, and they'll get going soon.

I thought Chabot quietly had a very solid game tonight.

Reactions: Sensators

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Confused by the claims of a lack of effort and disinterest on here. I'm not seeing that at all with this team tonight. Looks more like frustration and trying to force things once they found themselves down. The whole team clearly showed fight the whole night, it was more that their effort got misplaced at times.
It’s also a different kind of fight. They’re composed. Structured. Under dj we certainly tried. And much more emotion. Also way more breakdowns.

Most NHL games look exactly like tonight’s. Not exactly exciting. Could go either way.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Brady and Giroux easily been the most disappointing players (besides Forsberg). They also both have <1 month old newborns at home. Hopefully that's the cause, and they'll get going soon.

I thought Chabot quietly had a very solid game tonight.
Agreed. I’m not concerned about Brady, but with Giroux’s tough second half of last season, I think maybe his age is just catching up to him.

I hope not but guess we’ll see.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Agreed. I’m not concerned about Brady, but with Giroux’s tough second half of last season, I think maybe his age is just catching up to him.

I hope not but guess we’ll see.
The thing with Giroux hasn't just been is slowness, it's been alot of very uncharacteristic dumb plays. I fully expect he will slow down and his production will drop. But he needs to play like a reliable smart vet.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Confused by the claims of a lack of effort and disinterest on here. I'm not seeing that at all with this team tonight. Looks more like frustration and trying to force things once they found themselves down. The whole team clearly showed fight the whole night, it was more that their effort got misplaced at times.
They looked good in the first, but once again made massive mistakes in the second and third. They need some goaltending to start the season, that goes beyond what we saw last year. So far Forsberg has been underwhelming as a backup. We can't even get behind one, because we know that there is a good chance he won't make that next save on the next chance by the opposing team. Tonight, Markstrom has a .963ish save percentage. Granted Forsberg was above .900... but we need better.

We also need a team who holds onto the puck and doesn't give it away like what happened tonight. That goal against our PP was pathetic. No excuses for Giroux, he's a friggen professional. The team can show all the fight they like, but when players aren't using their heads, it doesn't matter. Give aways like what we saw, tank our chances of winning games. Hard work doesn't matter if this team isn't working smart. I want to see more intelligence from this team. I want to see them listen to the f***ing coach and play three good periods, not just one, or one and a half or two. We need three period hockey every night.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem with this team continues to be goaltending, they need a legitimate NHL backup & right now they don't have one in the system. Forsberg just lets in too many goals & Sogaard is worse. They need some saves at the right time & Forsberg simply doesn't have that ability to make the big save at the right time. The rest of the team is fine, goaltending continues to let the team down.

Also interesting what the manager said between periods with rinks around the league having soft ice. I've been noticng that a lot over the last few yrs how pucks are slowing down & guys are losing pucks off thei sticks easily then in the past because the ice is soft it slows down the puck & players lose it off their sticks easier.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The problem with this team continues to be goaltending, they need a legitimate NHL backup & right now they don't have one in the system. Forsberg just lets in too many goals & Sogaard is worse. They need some saves at the right time & Forsberg simply doesn't have that ability to make the big save at the right time. The rest of the team is fine, goaltending continues to let the team down.
Not even close tonight.

A double deflection then a shorthanded 2 on 1. The team was making costly errors before and after this. Congrats on your one goal with a minute left I guess.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
As Cousins said tonight, this team plays the right way until they get down a few goals and then they change their game. He said the team needs to stick with the game plan set out by the coach instead of trying to change it.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Not even close tonight.

A double deflection then a shorthanded 2 on 1. The team was making costly errors before and after this. Congrats on your one goal with a minute left I guess.

its a coping strategy at this point.

Forsberg kept us in the game when it could have run away got zero goal support and yet its goalies fault.

if they continue to play this way ullmark will get overworked and won't last long either.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Forsberg kept us in the game when it could have run away got zero goal support and yet its goalies fault.

if they continue to play this way ullmark will get overworked and won't last long either.
I genuinely think they’re just perpetual losers. The core doesn’t know how to win at the NHL level.

Ok that’s probably a bit harsh and it’s early in the season, but I’m seeing the same thing every year.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I genuinely think they’re just perpetual losers. The core doesn’t know how to win at the NHL level.

Ok that’s probably a bit harsh and it’s early in the season, but I’m seeing the same thing every year.

You’d think we were 0-4…

To me, the look of the team this year seems very different than the past couple. Especially the D and bottom 6. A lot calmer, lower event, confident play.

Are we a lock for a wildcard? No. But if we keep playing the way we are, I think we’ll be right in the mix.

The guy I want to see more from is Tkachuk, but I’m confident he’ll come around. New baby throws everyone for a loop…

Reactions: swiftwin

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

This team is still too f***ing fragile. Our best players flop when they see a goal against. They start playing the wrong way, instead of doing what the coach expects. You're right that we shouldn't be blaming our goalie. However, we do need some first saves here. Forsberg was good tonight for the most part. But if he makes the save on the second goal, we are talking about a different game. This team needs to be able to make mistakes that don't always end up in our net. Markstrom showed why he is a coveted goalie tonight.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

naw they are perpetual losers until proven otherwise.

people call the leafs losers, marner a loser. their core has never missed the playoffs. so what does it make this core if not the biggest losers.

even giroux has lost his passion.

do you guys remember giroux in the 1st year? how dialed in he was? now its like he doesn't have fun anymore.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we can't win games where we look relatively good, we're going to be in trouble.

I'd be concerned if we didn't hit 3 more posts and our goalie didn't get outplayed (not that Forsberg was bad, but Markstrom was almost perfect).

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005

This is a loser mentality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad