GDT: Game 4: Red Wings vs rags 7:30 pm et 10/17/24

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC to Chicago
I have plenty of patience for Gustafsson.

That said, pretty funny that Walman getting scratched a handful of games, clearly battling injury, was many posters’ justification for why he actually sucked and it made sense to ship a 2nd to get out of his deal. Then you take 2 of that 3.4 cap savings, sign another LHD, and scratch that guy after he looks rough game 1.

I myself would’ve just kept the guy we had as well as the 2nd. Alas.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I am kind of surprised Maatta is still on the team. I always just assumed he would get moved to make room for someone like Johansson. Seems like he has played well enough to get moved for a pick or something like that.
Because he's at worst our 4th best defenseman.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

No Igor it seems.

1729186584457.png

• Wow
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
More than likely that Gus is getting another chance at the PP to see if he can get something going. Not even Fester is dumb enough to play Gus for his defense. As others have pointed out, AlJo was better in that respect.
Why not go 11-7 so AlJo can play? I thought Lalonde was a fan of that?

Talbot should be in goal tonight. As per yesterday's press conference.

Reactions: wingerdinger

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

That said, pretty funny that Walman getting scratched a handful of games, clearly battling injury, was many posters’ justification for why he actually sucked and it made sense to ship a 2nd to get out of his deal. Then you take 2 of that 3.4 cap savings, sign another LHD, and scratch that guy after he looks rough game 1.

I myself would’ve just kept the guy we had as well as the 2nd. Alas.
Well first of all, it bears repeating that the 2nd in question was in the Wings' possession for literally a matter of minutes. We didn't really lose anything.

And that's some real revisionist history about Walman's 2023/24 campaign. He was awful, and routinely left himself completely out of position and saddled Seider with the fallout (which happened to be Seider's worst season so far, doubt that's a coincidence). That's not to mention the hand grenade passes he would send Seider's way which often led to Seider 'giving away' the puck. Not exactly an ideal D partner. A few flashy goals doesn't undo that, it barely even mitigates it.

And the mistakes weren't even the worst part of it, it was the lack of commitment to the team's success. Pretty darn damning when no one mourns your departure and Larkin all but called him out by name on the lack of commitment. This team is better off without that influence in the dressing room and on the ice. He was moved for a pick that was gained in a swap of evenly-ranked prospects, it was a total freebie. So on a net basis, he was moved for nothing.

I really hope this nothingburger doesn't metastasize and become the new Hudler vs Hossa debate that we'll hear about for years on end. I stopped caring about it within roughly 5 minutes. Why dwell on shedding an underperforming defensive liability who lacks effort and commitment?

As far as Gustafsson goes, shouldn't we give him a little bit of time to find his groove with a new team before rendering a verdict?

Reactions: Sadekuuro

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
It would be cool if I didn't have to have a streaming app to watch the game. I'm tired of certain games being exclusive to shit I don't own and don't want to pay for.
At least for the most part the ESPN+ is a hell of a lot better than NHL Center Ice ever was, NHL Network can go burn in a fire though. It's mildly improved over the years, but it's never gonna be easy access to all games all season on one service unfortunately.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"It's said that dangers often hide at home, but it's never been said that the Rangers hide at home, and tonight they're out on the ice at the LCA for the second half of their "home and away" series with Detroit. The Wings have not really shown themselves to be a dangerous team so far in this young season, so if they want to start building that reputation, they'll need to start quick, and start getting pucks past Jonathan Quick in net for sure."

- Plausible Keats

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
At least the ESPN+ landing page says to "come back when it starts" instead of letting you believe it will refresh into a game page now.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011

That said, pretty funny that Walman getting scratched a handful of games, clearly battling injury, was many posters’ justification for why he actually sucked and it made sense to ship a 2nd to get out of his deal.
If that's what you believe, you're clearly well removed the actual reasoning.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC to Chicago
Well first of all, it bears repeating that the 2nd in question was in the Wings' possession for literally a matter of minutes. We didn't really lose anything.

The idea that the value of a 2nd round pick is determined by how long it’s in a team’s possession completely defies logic. I cannot believe how often that’s used as a justification for the move. Trumped only by the ever-evolving future considerations hope that ran rampant for a while here.
And that's some real revisionist history about Walman's 2023/24 campaign. He was awful, and routinely left himself completely out of position and saddled Seider with the fallout (which happened to be Seider's worst season so far, doubt that's a coincidence). That's not to mention the hand grenade passes he would send Seider's way which often led to Seider 'giving away' the puck. Not exactly an ideal D partner. A few flashy goals doesn't undo that, it barely even mitigates it.

Wow, sounds like he is one of the worst defensemen of all time. I guess I really was being revisionist!

And the mistakes weren't even the worst part of it, it was the lack of commitment to the team's success. Pretty darn damning when no one mourns your departure and Larkin all but called him out by name on the lack of commitment. This team is better off without that influence in the dressing room and on the ice. He was moved for a pick that was gained in a swap of evenly-ranked prospects, it was a total freebie. So on a net basis, he was moved for nothing.

I really hope this nothingburger doesn't metastasize and become the new Hudler vs Hossa debate that we'll hear about for years on end. I stopped caring about it within roughly 5 minutes. Why dwell on shedding an underperforming defensive liability who lacks effort and commitment?

If the team hated him, fair enough. I suspect that may have been the case, but I have no way of knowing beyond what people have speculated on message boards. That’s not something I’m going to evaluate the trade based on.

Hossa>Hudler AINEC.

The trade happened a few months ago. It was a significant offseason before the season that literally just started. I don’t understand why folks are so defensive about it being discussed on occasion.

As far as Gustafsson goes, shouldn't we give him a little bit of time to find his groove with a new team before rendering a verdict?

Yes, that’s why I said as much in the first sentence of my post.

If that's what you believe, you're clearly well removed the actual reasoning.

Well removed the actual reasoning is the title of my next EP. It’s almost finished, just gotta make sure I get the reverb juuust right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad