GDT: Game #3 | St. Louis Blues vs Calgary Flames | "Team Defense gone Missing Edition"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Getting Eddie back should really help.

And while I’m still puzzled by the Jerabek acquisition, I look forward to seeing the shiny new toy for the first time.

Reactions: Bendak

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm going to absolutely lose my mind if Robert Thomas has another 6 min TOI game and Kyrou is the next closest at 9 for the lowest. Also, I don't know maybe let Kyrou run the powerplay instead of Steen? I love what Steen brings but he has been a mess on the powerplay the last couple of years. Kyrou is the most dynamic forward we have on the team in terms of regulating the puck and opening lanes for shooters.

Want powerplay goals? Maybe add a different element that you have the option to from within the team.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Happy to see Edmundson back but I'm still quite frustrated that we have both Dunn and Schmaltz sitting in the press box.

I didn't catch the 2nd half of the game against the Hawks, but I'll be watching closely tonight on how Yeo manages the ice time for our rookies. There's no reason Thomas and Kyrou should be in the single digits for minutes played, especially considering Perron and Steen have basically been worthless at even strength.

Here's to hoping Schwartz and Schenn start putting up some points, they've been quite lackluster so far.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
A week between games was too much. So many people have already bee-lined to the looney bin.

It's the shades of previous issues rearing its ugly head that's an issue.

We have played TWO games. You cannot draw any conclusions, or make any changes based on TWO games. And we certainly are not firing a coach after TWO games. TWO.

No, they wont fire him, but there are concerns given the knee jerk reactions from Yeo.

Dunn has looked like hot garbage, sitting isn’t going to hurt him. He isn’t a fabrege egg, people are acting like we need to coddle him and protect his precious fragile ego or something. He’s a big boy, if he can’t take this like an adult then he should get benched the next game too or sent to San Antonio until his game gets better. He’s Barbashev part deux right now, and that isn’t acceptable. He hasn’t made it impossible to sit him, so we’re sitting him.
What's the excuse for Boumeester? That's the problem, were not seeing the high paid guys being held accountable.

We also need to see what Jerabek has. I’m disappointed there aren’t more people excited to see his debut.
No, we really dont have to be. There's nothing about his resume to be excited about.
A wise priest once said “any old donkey can tear down a barn, it takes a special one to build it back up.” All of this negativity and whinging is predictable and tiresome. Keep the big picture in mind, quit trying to find a scapegoat for every single frickin thing, and cheer for the boys! I still can’t believe Allen got Bronx-cheered in the first game, that was embarrassing for whoever was doing it. Pathetic even. All some people want to do is complain complain complain, they relish in that more than celebrating any good thing this team does.

It’s game three, let’s do this ish.

Reactions: Novacain and Bendak

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have no problem with Dunn being sat down for a game. We need to see what we got with Jerabek and Dunn hasn't exactly been great to start the year. I also don't mind Dunn's reaction. I want him to be pissed about being scratched and use it as motivation.

The one thing I will say though is that Yeo needs to be consistent with this and not just scratch young players. If Jerabek has a strong game and Bouwmeester struggles again tonight then Bouw needs to come out of the lineup on Saturday. Young players shouldn't be the only ones that need to earn their playing time.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I know many fans on the main board have been vocal about not liking Vigneault, but that guy can get some results out of some only okay line-ups.

I like Vigneault as an option but the guy had some great teams in Vancouver. Then he had some pretty strong teams in New York as well.

And he legit only had Luongo and Lundqvist as his starting goalies for 12 years, too. He had Corey Schneider one year in Vancouver splitting with Luongo. That's one lucky coach.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I have no problem with Dunn being sat down for a game. We need to see what we got with Jerabek and Dunn hasn't exactly been great to start the year. I also don't mind Dunn's reaction. I want him to be pissed about being scratched and use it as motivation.

The one thing I will say though is that Yeo needs to be consistent with this and not just scratch young players. If Jerabek has a strong game and Bouwmeester struggles again tonight then Bouw needs to come out of the lineup on Saturday. Young players shouldn't be the only ones that need to earn their playing time.

this x1000

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
A week between games was too much. So many people have already bee-lined to the looney bin.

We have played TWO games. You cannot draw any conclusions, or make any changes based on TWO games. And we certainly are not firing a coach after TWO games. TWO.

Dunn has looked like hot garbage, sitting isn’t going to hurt him. He isn’t a fabrege egg, people are acting like we need to coddle him and protect his precious fragile ego or something. He’s a big boy, if he can’t take this like an adult then he should get benched the next game too or sent to San Antonio until his game gets better. He’s Barbashev part deux right now, and that isn’t acceptable. He hasn’t made it impossible to sit him, so we’re sitting him.

We also need to see what Jerabek has. I’m disappointed there aren’t more people excited to see his debut.

A wise priest once said “any old donkey can tear down a barn, it takes a special one to build it back up.” All of this negativity and whinging is predictable and tiresome. Keep the big picture in mind, quit trying to find a scapegoat for every single frickin thing, and cheer for the boys! I still can’t believe Allen got Bronx-cheered in the first game, that was embarrassing for whoever was doing it. Pathetic even. All some people want to do is complain complain complain, they relish in that more than celebrating any good thing this team does.

It’s game three, let’s do this ish.

I don't disagree with your post, but I think your point can be turned on itself. Why sit an important player? It has been two games. The entire D-core has looked like hot garbage. Why not let your January/February/March/Etc. regulars settle-in before sticking in a wildcard. It doesn't make sense.

Edit: Per JR, The Blues are looking at this from the perspective of Dunn having a bad month (with camp included). I can swallow that a little easier. I still don't know if I agree that the early stages of the season shouldn't be used to solidify things for when the inevitable in-game injuries occur, but...we'll see

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I wouldn't throw such a fit over this if Dunn was the isolated problem. Watching the entire tire fire and him being isolated is my problem. You take that with Yeo historically being terrible with youth, it's not hard to understand people already jumping off of a cliff. As for Jerebek, why should I be excited to see what we have in him other then the shiney new toy excuse.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Riiight, a team that he did absolutely nothing with any other year... That year was pretty clearly more of a fluke than showcasing his actual ability.

He followed that up with 5 straight years of missing the playoffs for heaven's sake lmao. He got nothing out of them.
I was referring to his entire tenure there, not the isolated WCF run. That was a team being financially supported by the league, with a pretty flawed roster. I think most coaches would play a defensive system with that roster. I don't think that's the only thing Tippetts can do, though.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I Still don't understand why we can't use player like Walman and Mikkola?
If their AHL play is any indication, both guys are too inconsistent right now. They need playing time and coaching, and lots of it. I think Mikkola is right on track for his development to becoming a regular NHL player, and Walman is going to have to show some mental growth. He's closer to breaking through, but also closer to 'busting' if that makes any sense.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm going to absolutely lose my mind if Robert Thomas has another 6 min TOI game and Kyrou is the next closest at 9 for the lowest. Also, I don't know maybe let Kyrou run the powerplay instead of Steen? I love what Steen brings but he has been a mess on the powerplay the last couple of years. Kyrou is the most dynamic forward we have on the team in terms of regulating the puck and opening lanes for shooters.

Want powerplay goals? Maybe add a different element that you have the option to from within the team.

Yeo subbing Kyrou in for Steen on the PP?? I don't think there is any chance Steen is removed from the PP this year, any than via DA dealing him to another team.

I agree with you though that I would like to see it happen.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
3 days free, 3 am starts game. I might be drunk. 6 hours to go.

giphy.gif

Lets go Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus. :bb:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Hard pass on Tippett. Less successful Hitchcock? No thanks.

And Darryl Sutter was a less successful version of Hitchcock when the Kings hired him.

What would you have considered Joel Quenneville when the Hawks hired him?

These two coaches had a grand total of 1 Cup Final appearance and 0 Cups in 22 years between them before arriving in LA and Chicago. They now have 5 Cups.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I like Vigneault as an option but the guy had some great teams in Vancouver. Then he had some pretty strong teams in New York as well.

And he legit only had Luongo and Lundqvist as his starting goalies for 12 years, too. He had Corey Schneider one year in Vancouver splitting with Luongo. That's one lucky coach.
I agree that having two hall of fame goalies is going to help no matter what, but I wouldn’t say the Rangers were stronger than many of the other Eastern teams the year he took then to the Stanley Cup. The defense was not that good aside from McDonagh and Stralman. The wingers were composed of many middle six players aside from Zuccarrelo, who then I would only say is an average 1st liner akin to what Toffoli was a few years back. The centers were deep, but nothing earth shattering. Stepan, Brad Richards, and Brassard are all worse versions of what O’Reilly is, at least in my opinion.

You could easily be right and Vigneault was lucky to have excellent goaltending, so maybe he wouldn’t work out as much here. And I do agree that the Canucks were quite good the year they went to the cup. Still, he would be the top of my list if the Blues were to explore other coaching avenues.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We are going the right direction with coaching in San Antonio by hiring Bannister. Hire a young guy who has started coaching in the new era, and not a relic who has to change his game to fit with where the game is going. Fans who play the "who should we get as coach" game, only stick to the list of former NHL coaches. Its like fans posted an ad on Career Builder "NHL head coach wanted, those without NHL head-coaching experience need not apply". Almost everybody that has head coaching experience is only available because someone else fired them, for probably a pretty good reason. And nobody else wanted them, also probably for a good reason. It's true that good coaches can get fired from one team and come back to win with another. But we are considerably narrowing our pool by only looking at those. Let's find the guy who we like his philosophy, has success t lower levels and just needs a shot at the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39 and Bendak

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yeah, the reporters drew the conclusion based on the practice lines + him having an extended conversation with Yeo after practice. The reporters asked both Yeo and Dunn -- Yeo said nothing was set in stone. Dunn said "No comment"

Healthy scratching someone is the very definition of singling them out.

I don't know how Yeo can pretend otherwise, especially right after he said that players would get the playing time they earned.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
but I wouldn’t say the Rangers were stronger than many of the other Eastern teams the year he took then to the Stanley Cup.

Still, he would be the top of my list if the Blues were to explore other coaching avenues.

I wouldn't be opposed to him at all. He'd be in my top 5 for sure. I just think he has had some good to really great teams.

To me, those Ranger teams weren't special but they were similar to the Blues under Hitchcock early on. A lot of 45-60 point forwards. Always lacking that #1 center. I thought McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Stralman was a really solid top 4, though. Lundqvist in net was a huge difference maker from the Blues to Rangers. I don't think those Ranger teams were the best in the East. Just a good, solid squad.

The real difference between the 2012-2014 Blues and Rangers was that we had to face LA and Chicago early in the playoffs. The Rangers got to the Kings in the Cup Final.

The East was far weaker back then.

Reactions: 67Blues and Bendak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad