GDT: Game 3 : Rookie Faceoff - Ducks vs LA - 12:30pm PT (If your boss catches you streaming tell them Wild Wing said it was ok)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_4494.jpeg

Ducks vs LA Kings
City National Arena - 12:30pm PT

Game 2 recap.

Recap: Ducks Fall 5-3 to Colorado in Rookie Faceoff | Anaheim Ducks

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Expecting Minty and Zell to be in. Could see Leo sitting this one out
Considering our only extra forwards (Pastujov and Hivdston) haven't played in either game, I wouldn't be surprised if the forwards stay the same, unless someone has made a recovery since yesterday.

As for the defensemen, I would guess Mintyukov, Zellweger, and Warren come in for LaCombe, Hinds, and Luneau. That way, every dman will play 2 games.

Reactions: Kalv and Hinterland

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I hope LaCombe plays again, he's been a real pleasure to watch. I noticed him finishing a few checks and shoving people away from Alexander after the whistle.

LaCombe has done a lot of work on his defensive game as a converted OFD. He's got a low key physical game to him and does clear players out from the crease when he's on the PK in college. He's got great anticipation with intercepting passes (he's the reason the puck popped open for that Pitre breakaway shortie) and blocking shots (we've witnessed that in his 2 NHL games and rookie tourney).
Without Zell and Minty in game 2, LaCombe carried the puck into the offensive end a bit more and pinched down too. When he does carry the puck into the OZone, he doesn't just dump it behind the net, but will pass it off to a teammate or hold the puck longer while skating around to find a teammate to pass the puck. LaCombe doesn't panic with the puck on his stick in the defensive and offensive end; I really liked his board play in the OZ playing keep away until he found a path to get the puck to Carlsson and then attacked the net with Carlsson finding him from Carlsson behind the net.

On a tangent, with Vaaks returning from IR, the Ducks now have 7 defensemen on NHL contracts and that doesn't include LaCombe.

LD: Fowler, Vaaks, Hagg, White
RD: Drysdale (still unsigned), Gudas, Lyubushkin

Will the Ducks carry 8D or can LaCombe beat out White, Vaaks, or Hagg? The extra benefit of having LaCombe in the lineup is he can play RD effortlessly if need be b/c he's been playing RD as a left shooting D in college. Then again, he's also waiver eligible exempt and the other 7 are not.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Considering our only extra forwards (Pastujov and Hivdston) haven't played in either game, I wouldn't be surprised if the forwards stay the same, unless someone has made a recovery since yesterday.

As for the defensemen, I would guess Mintyukov, Zellweger, and Warren come in for LaCombe, Hinds, and Luneau. That way, every dman will play 2 games.

Yep. On defense today, unless somebody is sick or banged up, most certainly:

Mintyukov, Warren
Zellweger, Port
Smith, Dionicio

...that's of course unless they wanna give Dionicio a look upfront. Was a Center for most of his career and only recently converted to defense. In Windsor he also filled in on the wing a few times last season when they were short of forwards.

I don't see the Ducks go there though unless they themselves are short of forwards.

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Hopefully they're giving those two the back end of a back to back just to have that extra day of recovery.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, don't expect Leo to play. Also, what's up with Pastujov? Thought he'd at least play a game or two.
I have been surprised to not see him nor Hvidston playing. I am assuming they are both injured?

Port needs to do more - he hasn't been bad but hasn't been noticeable in any way.
TBF he's a 6th rounder that just turned 18 last month. Not being bad is a huge sign of success for him in my eyes

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I have been surprised to not see him nor Hvidston playing. I am assuming they are both injured?

TBF he's a 6th rounder that just turned 18 last month. Not being bad is a huge sign of success for him in my eyes
Exactly. Youngest player on the roster. Born in August 05, less than 6 weeks away from 2024 draft eligibility and one of the youngest kids available in the 2023 draft. The only other 05 born prospect on the roster is Carey Terrance but firstly he's a forward and secondly he was a 2nd round pick, so completely different expectations.

I thought both youngsters perfectly met or even exceeded expectations. Terrance was downright spectacular. Port had a few bad givewaways but a few nice zone exits, breakouts as well. Solid against the puck from what I saw. Which is all you want from a young defender you picked in the 6th round the same year.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Will the Ducks carry 8D or can LaCombe beat out White, Vaaks, or Hagg? The extra benefit of having LaCombe in the lineup is he can play RD effortlessly if need be b/c he's been playing RD as a left shooting D in college. Then again, he's also waiver eligible and the other 7 are not.
Are you saying LaCombe is waiver eligible? If I read capfriendly right, he is waiver exempt.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Exactly. Youngest player on the roster. Born in August 05, less than 6 weeks away from 2024 draft eligibility and one of the youngest kids available in the 2023 draft. The only other 05 born prospect on the roster is Carey Terrance but firstly he's a forward and secondly he was a 2nd round pick, so completely different expectations.

I thought both youngsters perfectly met or even exceeded expectations. Terrance was downright spectacular. Port had a few bad givewaways but a few nice zone exits, breakouts as well. Solid against the puck from what I saw. Which is all you want from a young defender you picked in the 6th round the same year.

I had no idea Terrance was also that young. That's great news, he's looked really good.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

To distinguish himself, I mean. I'm not guessing on his future, just like I'm not on Myatovic either, who's also been invisible but generally worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad