Post-Game Talk: Game #3 Pens vs Leafs

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The 2nd oldest team in the league is not a work in progress, it's the finished product. Obtaining bottom 6 players to play in the bottom 6, is not a revolutionary process. Obtaining a bottom 6 player and playing them on the first line is arrogantly saying you are smarter than everyone else and smiling while having broccoli between your teeth.
it is, for us. :nod:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For reference; the Pens were 4-4-2 after 10 games in 2022-23, and 4-6-0 after 10 games in 2023-24. So 3-7-0 after 10 this year seems about right for the trend.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, if you want to slow the game down too, it's better to do so with bigger, more physical players to provide the proper amount of attrition and wear the opponent down.

Anyhow, I still don't see Petts' play as some sort of master stroke, I'm not sure what some of you are seeing there.
The philosophy itself of not adding physical players to this club is weird. It's like they ignore the trends in the league about what's been successful and are still sniffing their own shit from 2016 because we won with a small, speedy, non-physical roster.

Reactions: wizmet12

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's not about losing, it's how they play. There seems to be very little structure and players seem like they're rookies learning the system every game. It's clearly a coaching issue. I point back again to 2 seasons ago where the Pens missed the playoffs, because they got owned by the 2 worst teams in the league the last 2 games of the season. The players don't play hard for Sullivan, they've given up on his message many times. Compare that to under Bylsma where every player skated hard and knew what they doing even when he got arrogant with his coaching.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Remember when Sullivan talked about what a great pre-season Puljujarvi had and how he's earned an opportunity here? That last like all of one game.

And no, I'm not really dying on the hill of Puljujarvi. I just think it's yet another example of Sullivan's words never matching his actions. Unless you're one of his favorites, you better produce IMMEDIATELY or you're forever going to get the shaft.

God I hate this coach so much. I've never loathed a coach as much as this guy. And the fact the organization loves him makes me start to loath them as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The philosophy itself of not adding physical players to this club is weird. It's like they ignore the trends in the league about what's been successful and are still sniffing their own shit from 2016 because we won with a small, speedy, non-physical roster.

I mean they seemingly added a ton of size up front this off season.

Sullivan just wants our top line to be a combination of the smallest players for some reason.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
McG-Eller-Puljujarvi should be the 3rd line, imo. No idea how they sort out the top-6--I'm not even sure they have a single genuine top-6 winger atm until Rust gets his legs under him. Rakell's been bad aside from a "throw it at the net" shot. Bunting's been dogshit. DOC's been fine for what he is, but if he's your best top-6 winger, you're absolutely f***ed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean they seemingly added a ton of size up front this off season.

Sullivan just wants our top line to be a combination of the smallest players for some reason.
I'm talking about physicality, not necessarily just size.

Who among our forwards would be considered bruisers who make the opposition pay physically? A team facing us in a 7 game series wouldn't have to worry about any sort of bumps and bruises on their body by game 7.

McG-Eller-Puljujarvi should be the 3rd line, imo. No idea how they sort out the top-6--I'm not even sure they have a single genuine top-6 winger atm until Rust gets his legs under him.
The disrespect for Michael "as good as Jake just without the opportunities" Bunting is appalling.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Imagine playing a teams where the blueprint on how to beat them is clearly eastablished. You play a right checking playoff style game and dont give their stars Time and space. And what do they do? They leave Nylanger and Domi all alone on a 2-0 and give Marner a breakaway.

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
Remember when Sullivan talked about what a great pre-season Puljujarvi had and how he's earned an opportunity here? That last like all of one game.

And no, I'm not really dying on the hill of Puljujarvi. I just think it's yet another example of Sullivan's words never matching his actions. Unless you're one of his favorites, you better produce IMMEDIATELY or you're forever going to get the shaft.

God I hate this coach so much. I've never loathed a coach as much as this guy. And the fact the organization loves him makes me start to loath them as well.
Rust starts the season a few games late because of injury and immediately slots right in on L1 and PP1. If he was European like Rakell, he’d have to start in the bottom 6 and work his way into game-shape. No one in the media calls him out for the double-standard. That might be the worst part of all of it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It truly is amazing that all 3 professional sports teams in Pittsburgh suffer from the same problem, a coach that has over- stayed way past their expiration date. It won't get better for any of the 3 teams until that problem is resolved.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Imagine playing a teams where the blueprint on how to beat them is clearly eastablished. You play a right checking playoff style game and dont give their stars Time and space. And what do they do? They leave Nylanger and Domi all alone on a 2-0 and give Marner a breakaway.
Having the blueprint is one thing. I imagine it's pretty easy to come up with a "blueprint" to beat anybody in the league, but executing is another story. Especially with this ratf***ed coach and roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad