GDT: Game 3: New York Rangers vs Detroit Red Wings, 7pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
3rd line playing good 5 vs 5. Could be an interesting factor. Otoh first line stinks. Edström is a keeper. If Rempe took that unnecessary Johnny Brodz penalty the haters would be very vocal. He has speed Johnny, but so does a headless chicken. Igor deciding he wants that big paycheck after confronting the concept of Utah Hockey

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
3rd line playing good 5 vs 5. Could be an interesting factor. Otoh first line stinks. Edström is a keeper. If Rempe took that unnecessary Johnny Brodz penalty the haters would be very vocal. He has speed Johnny, but so does a headless chicken. Igor deciding he wants that big paycheck after confronting the concept of Utah Hockey
I’m not a Brod fan either

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Why is light affected by the gravitational pull of a black hole if photons have no mass?
Because black holes warp spacetime, and photons travel along spacetime, so they “fall into” the steep curvature like everything else what does near them.

Always a fascinating question though.

Reactions: Matt Rentfree

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Why is light affected by the gravitational pull of a black hole if photons have no mass?
Light is affected by the gravitational pull of a black hole due to the curvature of spacetime itself, as described by Einstein’s general relativity. Photons, despite being massless, follow geodesics—essentially, the "straightest" paths through this curved spacetime. The gravitational field of a black hole warps spacetime so dramatically that even light's trajectory bends toward it.

If we turn this into a formula:

Photons + Curved Spacetime=Light Bends!\text{Photons + Curved Spacetime} = \text{Light Bends!}Photons + Curved Spacetime=Light Bends!
Or, in more understandable terms:

mγ=0 but Gμν says, "Too bad, you’re coming with me!"m_\gamma = 0 \text{ but } G_{\mu\nu} \text{ says, "Too bad, you're coming with me!"}mγ=0 but Gμν says, "Too bad, you’re coming with me!"

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Light is affected by the gravitational pull of a black hole due to the curvature of spacetime itself, as described by Einstein’s general relativity. Photons, despite being massless, follow geodesics—essentially, the "straightest" paths through this curved spacetime. The gravitational field of a black hole warps spacetime so dramatically that even light's trajectory bends toward it.

If we turn this into a formula:

Photons + Curved Spacetime=Light Bends!\text{Photons + Curved Spacetime} = \text{Light Bends!}Photons + Curved Spacetime=Light Bends!
Or, in more understandable terms:

mγ=0 but Gμν says, "Too bad, you’re coming with me!"m_\gamma = 0 \text{ but } G_{\mu\nu} \text{ says, "Too bad, you're coming with me!"}mγ=0 but Gμν says, "Too bad, you’re coming with me!"
I get to use this twice in one GDT.....

MV5BNzIxZmIzYjEtZGMyZi00NDAwLWJmODktYTAwOWU2ZjkwZjdlXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad