GDT: Game 3/82 Blues @ Knights 9PM CST BSMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
What are your credentials to think you have assessed Leddy's ability better than the coaching staff and pretty much everyone who follows hockey? Every defenseman is going to get beat from time to time, and when you're routinely going against the best line of the opposite team then it's probably going to happen more often than d-men who are more sheltered. Neither Leddy or Colt have started the season as strongly as they played for most of last season, but saying he's been playing at an AHL level shows how clueless you are.

How you can say he was "mostly responsible" for two goals last night when Colt was the one caught up ice when Eichel scored. I'll give you that Leddy did make a bad pass that hit a foot on the 3rd goal, but pretty much anyone could make a mistake like that. If it doesn't hit his teammate's skate it's likely out of the zone and out of danger. It happens.

Not to say Leddy is an All-star or anything like that, but he's provided pretty reliable defense for a $4 million dollar per year salary. On a contending team, he would more likely be a 3rd pair guy but he has more than held his own in the role the Blues have given him the past year+. No one thinks Leddy is a true top pair guy, but similar to Gunnarsson he can play alongside a more talented partner and provide solid overall play.
I’ve simply watched him closely since he got here. The Blues have been searching/needing a partner Colt badly since JBo. First it was Scandella, like Leddy played well for a few months after being being pickup up leading to a contract.

If he was on the 2nd/3rd pairing then he’d do much better.

What drives me crazy is the mistakes he makes are so bad and often lead to a goal. When he is off he is sooo slow at everything. From reading plays, playing the puck, and trying to win puck battles.

….oh and the first goal last night was “partially” Leddy’s fault. Yes Colt got caught in-between standing up on the blue line and backing up but Leddy played it like a 2 on 2 when Colt wasn’t fully back and he was within a stick’s length of Echiel when he scored but didn’t read the play correctly.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
….oh and the first goal last night was “partially” Leddy’s fault. Yes Colt got caught in-between standing up on the blue line and backing up but Leddy played it like a 2 on 2 when Colt wasn’t fully back and he was within a stick’s length of Echiel when he scored but didn’t read the play correctly.

We're not saying Leddy is a #1LD but he's done well for a role he should not be in. Yes we need a #1LD and hopefully Broberg can do it but saying Leddy sucks or plays AHL lvl is factually a load of shit. Also, As for that specific goal, I guess you missed the part where Parayko literally called for Leddy to take the puck carrier and Parayko called Eichel and Parayko failed, not Leddy.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I didn't like the Leddy acquisition when we made it, but he's been pretty good for us. He's had a rough start this season, and I wouldn't mind tinkering with the pairings while he hopefully gets things worked out. I just don't get how overly eager people are to pair Broberg with Parayko. Our problem defensively has been depth and we're gonna load up one pairing with our best defensive skaters/rush disrupters? One major reason Parayko/JayBo worked so well is because Petro could still do what he did with most pairing partners, which afforded us a luxury. Now Colt has to kind of be that guy while Broberg makes up for some of Faulk's deficiencies and allows him to rush and pinch. People are so focused on Colt's pairing, but what about Faulk/Suter or Faulk/Leddy the way Leddy is playing right now? Seems like playing with fire.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We're not saying Leddy is a #1LD but he's done well for a role he should not be in. Yes we need a #1LD and hopefully Broberg can do it but saying Leddy sucks or plays AHL lvl is factually a load of shit. Also, As for that specific goal, I guess you missed the part where Parayko literally called for Leddy to take the puck carrier and Parayko called Eichel and Parayko failed, not Leddy.
Leddy isn't amazing but has been put in places where he doesn't belong and he may struggle but he keeps trying and finds a way. He shows up and gives it what he's got and that earns my respect.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I didn't like the Leddy acquisition when we made it, but he's been pretty good for us. He's had a rough start this season, and I wouldn't mind tinkering with the pairings while he hopefully gets things worked out. I just don't get how overly eager people are to pair Broberg with Parayko. Our problem defensively has been depth and we're gonna load up one pairing with our best defensive skaters/rush disrupters? One major reason Parayko/JayBo worked so well is because Petro could still do what he did with most pairing partners, which afforded us a luxury. Now Colt has to kind of be that guy while Broberg makes up for some of Faulk's deficiencies and allows him to rush and pinch. People are so focused on Colt's pairing, but what about Faulk/Suter or Faulk/Leddy the way Leddy is playing right now? Seems like playing with fire.

I mentioned a Suter/Faulk pairing because Suter can also allow Faulk to do what he does best. Leddy would go down with Kessel, and be more of a PMD while he finds his game again in lesser minutes. Similar to when we put Krug with Kessel last year.

Reactions: BlueSeal

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I mentioned a Suter/Faulk pairing because Suter can also allow Faulk to do what he does best. Leddy would go down with Kessel, and be more of a PMD while he finds his game again in lesser minutes. Similar to when we put Krug with Kessel last year.

Are we forgetting Suter spent a lot of last year getting torched and was signed with the expectations of a 6/7D? Not realistic IMO to expect him to do the heavy lifting of a 2nd pairing defensively. Just because he is a stay-at-home TYPE doesn't mean he's good enough at this point in his career for that.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Agreed. It's too early to start messing with the pairings anyway. The way I see it, we've got our top defensive pairing in 4/55 and our top offensive pairing in 6/72. We don't have a true top pair that we need to rely on heavily like some other teams do. I feel that Bro and Faulk compliment each other well and it's quite possible that in a few weeks/months we might consider that our "top pair.

Leddy has made a few mistakes early on but Parayko hasn't looked great either. Not sure why all of a sudden Leddy is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Just because his pass hit a guy's skate and it led to a goal against?

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Agreed. It's too early to start messing with the pairings anyway. The way I see it, we've got our top defensive pairing in 4/55 and our top offensive pairing in 6/72. We don't have a true top pair that we need to rely on heavily like some other teams do. I feel that Bro and Faulk compliment each other well and it's quite possible that in a few weeks/months we might consider that our "top pair.

Leddy has made a few mistakes early on but Parayko hasn't looked great either. Not sure why all of a sudden Leddy is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Just because his pass hit a guy's skate and it led to a goal against?
Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine keeping them together while their play stabalizes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad