GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7:00pm NBCSSharks

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I don't blame Smith for the goal but his spot in the lineup shouldn't be a certainty at this stage. I don't think he's earned that. The minors should be an option worth discussing if he continues to play at this level. They can afford to keep him in the NHL to continue to experience the play level and let him work through it but they don't have to.
You should. Check out the goal simulation, these are super cool. It's a 3 on 3 and Smith locks onto the puck carrier from way across the ice. Since that happens Benning could have shaded right to keep the trailer in front of him but it risks giving up a 2 on 1 with a good pass. Because Smith didn't pick up the trailer and Benning stayed man to man on the second forward, it became a clean partial break.
I actually don't buy that it was Benning's fault at all. I think Will Smith 100% chased the puck when it was his responsibility to stay with the forward. I was hoping Drew would call it out on the replay, but he was wishy washy about whose error it was.
Smith and Benning combined for the wrong play, but it's mostly Smith's fault because it was clearly his responsibility to take the trailer in a 3 on 3 situation.
As a side note, gosh those new Ducks jerseys are terrible. The orange colour scheme sucks. Another reason to dislike those bums, hopefully they end up picking in the top-10 indefinitely.
I kind of like them 🫣🫣🫣

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't blame Smith for the goal but his spot in the lineup shouldn't be a certainty at this stage. I don't think he's earned that. The minors should be an option worth discussing if he continues to play at this level. They can afford to keep him in the NHL to continue to experience the play level and let him work through it but they don't have to.
I do blame Smith for the goal but it shouldn't affect his spot in the lineup. He was above Lundeström in the neutral zone then inexplicably skated over to chase the puck carrier who Thrun was already covering.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I do blame Smith for the goal but it shouldn't affect his spot in the lineup. He was above Lundeström in the neutral zone then inexplicably skated over to chase the puck carrier who Thrun was already covering.
When Smith was at the center line already caught up to the puck carrier and between the other player that was part of the rush, the goal scorer was still in the sharks zone, that he got left alone was mostly because of a bad backchecking by zetterlund.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
When Smith was at the center line already caught up to the puck carrier and between the other player that was part of the rush, the goal scorer was still in the sharks zone, that he got left alone was mostly because of a bad backchecking by zetterlund.
I disagree. That was never Zetterlund's man. It would have made sense for Smith to stay with either Lundeström or McGinn but instead he skated over to Leason, leaving Benning stranded covering two players. The fact Zetterlund made it into the picture at all is a testament to how hard he skated back.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I disagree. That was never Zetterlund's man. It would have made sense for Smith to stay with either Lundeström or McGinn but instead he skated over to Leason, leaving Benning stranded covering two players. The fact Zetterlund made it into the picture at all is a testament to how hard he skated back.
Zetterlund was not skating hard on that back check, he stopped skating from the centerline to the top of the circle where the shot was taken.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Zetterlund was not skating hard on that back check, he stopped skating from the centerline to the top of the circle where the shot was taken.
It's still not his responsibility at all. Smith turns a harmless 3-on-3 rush into a 2-on-1 in the slot by skating over to pressure Leason.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Hodge is spot on. Zetterlund is the fourth guy back on a 3 man attack. Yes, it would have been nice for him to pick up the trailer too, but Smith as the third guy back needs to pick up ANA's 3rd attacker.

Sadly, he channels his inner mite hockey and decides to chase the puck. Clearly a mistake of inexperience at the NHL level, where a missed defensive assignment, even one on the 3rd guy of an attack, will end up being exploited.

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
Smith will develop best by staying in the NHL.

Send Matvei Michkov down. He's playing 18 1/2 minutes/game is a -2, with 1 assist.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Smith will develop best by staying in the NHL.

Send Matvei Michkov down. He's playing 18 1/2 minutes/game is a -2, with 1 assist.
Its not about stat lines. It's about general play. Is about the ability to protect pucks, to make good reads, and just generally to keep up.

Smith will develop no matter where he plays. He's 19, learning to pay against men in a much higher league. The big question is: should he be playing 18-20 mins as your #1C in the AHL, which is better than the NCAA but not as good as the NHL, designed to be a developmental league, and a place where nearly all good young players play as they transition from juniors or college to pros OR the NHL, where a mistake like last night cost your team the game, and everyone sees it on national television, and you might find yourself playing 10 mins night on a 4th line IF this is really a meritocracy?

At the end of the day, all NHL time should be earned. Its not a developmental league. And, crucially, playing someone inferior at the NHL level sends a very toxic message to guys (like gush) who clearly outplayed Smith all camp, yet ride the pine while smith gets top 6 time?

As such, if the NHL is a meritocracy, then Smith belongs in the AHL. If the NHL is a developmental league where you play your kids regardless of their current level, then he should stay in the NHL. Which is it?

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
Its not about stat lines. It's about general play. Is about the ability to protect pucks, to make good reads, and just generally to keep up.

Smith will develop no matter where he plays. He's 19, learning to pay against men in a much higher league. The big question is: should he be playing 18-20 mins as your #1C in the AHL, which is better than the NCAA but not as good as the NHL, designed to be a developmental league, and a place where nearly all good young players play as they transition from juniors or college to pros OR the NHL, where a mistake like last night cost your team the game, and everyone sees it on national television, and you might find yourself playing 10 mins night on a 4th line IF this is really a meritocracy?

At the end of the day, all NHL time should be earned. Its not a developmental league. And, crucially, playing someone inferior at the NHL level sends a very toxic message to guys (like gush) who clearly outplayed Smith all camp, yet ride the pine while smith gets top 6 time?

As such, if the NHL is a meritocracy, then Smith belongs in the AHL. If the NHL is a developmental league where you play your kids regardless of their current level, then he should stay in the NHL. Which is it?
Smith earned it by being #4 overall and leading the NCAA in scoring. Smith is a far better bet to come through than Goose. He'll develop in the NHL. Deal with it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Eklund got points in his first 9 but he did not look ready for the NHL.

Eklunds first 17 games (2 seasons), 7 points and -8

He looked better than Smith, though. Again, I’m not against keeping Smith up, but Eklund made noticeably good defensive plays and had more glimmers of his talent than Smith currently does. But that’s also okay — Eklund played against adults in Sweden and it was an easier transition, speed-wise.

But again, Smith is getting better little by little and I suspect by April we’re going to be like lol remember when people thought he should go to the AHL?

He just needs to keep on keeping on. He’ll be okay.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I think Smith should be in the NHL, as he'll learn the most there, but I wish he could be moved to wing for a couple of weeks while he adapts.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Smith earned it by being #4 overall and leading the NCAA in scoring. Smith is a far better bet to come through than Goose. He'll develop in the NHL. Deal with it.
being a high pick and succeeding against 18-22 year olds should not guarantee you anything in the NHL.

Graf got his NHL look last year after dominating college too. But that was the condition for signing him. Now, he's where he belongs getting his development as he should (nice goal yesterday). he'll build his confidence, work on the details of the game there, and could well come back up the NHL far more ready.

Smith is a lot like Graf, just younger. Graf dominated NCAA as two time HB finalist. Smith dominated NCAA as the leading scorer as a freshman. That means you likely have a good NHL future ahead. But, it doesnt mean that you are ready to leap from college straight to the NHL. That's a very rare leap executed successfully. Quinn Hughes and Cale makar did it. Mack can do it. But the vast vast majority of guys need AHL time first.

All that said, you are probably right that I need to deal with it. Poor coaching/player decisions have plagued the sharks for the last few years and Ive had to deal with it. Its disappointing that that trend seems to be continuing, and I am frustrated by it. The NHL needs to be a meritocracy if you want to builda winning culture. last name, draft pedigree, minor/junior performance, etc needs to come well behind actual play in meting out precious ice time.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
He looked better than Smith, though. Again, I’m not against keeping Smith up, but Eklund made noticeably good defensive plays and had more glimmers of his talent than Smith currently does. But that’s also okay — Eklund played against adults in Sweden and it was an easier transition, speed-wise.

But again, Smith is getting better little by little and I suspect by April we’re going to be like lol remember when people thought he should go to the AHL?

He just needs to keep on keeping on. He’ll be okay.

Even if he is a great by the end of the year, that doesn't mean that he should be developing in the NHL. I don't think its healthy for him to fail game after game for months and have the team run off another 10 game losing streak to start the year.

Imagine watching videos of smith putting up points nightly in the A for a month or two. He'll build confidence playing against men. He'll feel good about himself and his ability to play at this level. he'll build a pro style game that focuses better on the details of the game. Then in November or december he comes back up ready to play against men, confident in his abilities, and a better overall player.

Thats the path that pavs, cooch, Seto, Meier, etc all took...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Even if he is a great by the end of the year, that doesn't mean that he should be developing in the NHL. I don't think its healthy for him to fail game after game for months and have the team run off another 10 game losing streak to start the year.

Imagine watching videos of smith putting up points nightly in the A for a month or two. He'll build confidence playing against men. He'll feel good about himself and his ability to play at this level. he'll build a pro style game that focuses better on the details of the game. Then in November or december he comes back up ready to play against men, confident in his abilities, and a better overall player.

I just don’t think that’s going to happen yet. I don’t think being in the A will hurt him but I do think he needs (and is going to get) some runway here, particularly with Celebrini injured. They’re going to try him with new linemates, they're going to put him on the wing, etc etc before he’s sent down. He’s earned that as a very high pick and deserves more than 2 games to figure out the NHL.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Pow_right_in_the_kisser.gif

Klim with the Sharks "shot of the game"!!

💥

haha Strome, "dude I'm trying to get off the ice, get punched in the face someplace else..."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Star Platinum

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I would rather the path thornton, stamkos took.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I would rather the path thornton, stamkos took.
Well, if smith was as good as those two then I’d agree. Btw, jumbo likely wasn’t ready either.

Stammer and jumbo were clear #1s like Mack. Mack is obviously ready. Shame he is banged up but he is ready. The difference in the overall game between him and smith is glaring.

there are three reasons I want smith down, none of which are a commentary on his long term trajectory:

1. NHL is meritocracy. Smith has underperformed gush.

2. Smith is a 19 year old kid who needs confidence. Winning and success breeds confidence. Losing and being responsible or for this losses breeds doubt. I want smith to feel successful just like halts and bystedt do right now. A month of that kind of success breeds self belief and then you know you can play against men successfully.

3. I want the sharks to WIN! I like wins. Wins are fun. I know expectations are low, but last year sucked. I want wins and wins happen when you ice the best roster possible or and give ice to players who earn it most.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
For those of you who are asking Smith to be sent down, let's look at an example of Shane Wright.
Both are Centermen, Both were picked at #4. Shane Wright were sent to the OHL then AHL and did that helped? So far this season, he had 0 points like Smith. Shane Wright has 16 more NHL games than Smith. Sending a player down early doesn't help him. Shane was in the AHL for the whole season and he still look lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad