GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7:00pm NBCSSharks

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We need a goal.
Yeah. Looking at the forward group, there are too many guys (Sturm, Grundstrom, Kunin, Goodrow, and Dellandrea) with no real offensive spark...and then you have players like Kostin and Wennberg who only have a little offensive pop. Someone like Guchshin should get an extended look...

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
My opinion on the controversial ones:
- Smith looks a little behind and a little weak. Lots of getting the puck stripped away - looks like he's trying to play a Jumbo game with the puck without being 6'4" 230. Good job preventing a goal but if he was marking Cutter like he should have been, it wouldn't have been necessary. Still not worried but it's the hard landing many expected into the NHL
- PK looks great, notably Dellandrea with just a ton of hustle. Sturm, Kunin, Granny all doing their jobs
- defense looks somewhat more poised today. I still maintain that Ceci and Walman are a solid second pair, Walman in particular looks actually good
- Kostin looks like the physical specimen he is, and still makes some bonehead plays but the whole Smith line just isn't working. Dropped Vatrano with a sick uppercut in front of the bench that I'm happy happened
- overall the team is putting up a fight and the compete level is very high. They will win their gold stars for "COMPETE" if they keep it up
- offense is generally toothless, although "dirty grimy" rebound plays have been somewhat dangerous, but it's all we've got. Missing Macklin and the player we all hope Smith becomes.
Ive been saying this since preseason. He needs to spend a little time in the A. -1, with a penalty. Hes just not there yet.

Also, with mack out, you reallly need more offensive punch, so Benching Gush makes no sense.

It's already frustrating watching poor coaching decisions. Gush was electric and you give him 10 mins on the fourth line then the press box? And you give Smith, who clearly is not NHL ready, the top 6 mins that are not earned.

This is disappointing...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Only saw half of this game -

The defense looks miles better than last year and the break out is much stronger. Granted it’s the Ducks but you see a system at least.

Smith is getting 1% better every game. When you see glimmers of what he can do it’s wildly exciting.

I’d like to see Goose with Granlund and Smith with Eklund next game because…

…Eklund looks really f***ing good this year. He’s faster, stronger, more confident. He’s noticeable every time he’s on the ice and I think he can help Smith a bit. Especially if it’s him and Zetterlund on the wings.

Goodrow looks better with the Sharks now than he did when he used to play here. Smart, fast, wily vet. I’m genuinely surprised.

We lost, but I’m looking for growth and this team looks far better than last year’s team… even without Celebrini.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Wars will adjust.

I recall one of you guys predicting that we won't be able to score and that Coach will see the lack of real offense and creativity tonight and make adjustments (Goose next game). If he doesn't make that adjustment next game, then I will finally panic.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
One more thing: you guys have to relax a little with Smith. Give him a chance to figure it out - it’s not like we have someone better to take his place right now. Maybe when Celebrini gets back, but for now let the kid work it out.
I'm on board with this. We need to give him 15, 20 games before we even think about sending him down. He needs reps.

That said, the goal was in no small part his problem. We had numbers, and he AND Benning got sucked over to the puck. Arguably the trailing F needs to see we have numbers there and pivot to look for the trailer. Because Smith committed to puck and Benning drifted a bit, it was up to Zetterlund to catch the trailer, no fair to him.

In encouraging news, Cutter had no goals and Zegras was practically invisible except for his EN.

PeePeeMcGee

Mar 9, 2024
One thing I will say is, the Sharks generated some chances. In the final 9:30, they had 7 more shot attempts than the Ducks. The problem was that Dostal just didn't give up any rebounds, he did a great job. I would've liked more of a net front presence, but overall, I think there are positives to take away from this game.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
this game probably at least goes to Overtime if Benning didn't abandon his defensive assignment to chase a puck carrier that had already beat him. Pretty much turned a 2 on 1 into a 2 on 0.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad