GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7:00pm NBCSSharks

jarr92

May 7, 2013
You're the one claiming Gushchin is a better offensive player than Kostin based on AHL stats from 5 years ago.
Again, call me when Kostin looks like an established NHLer during the actual season and not playing out the string for the worst team in recent history. 4 points in 33 games for Detroit. Pencil him in for the 4th line or press box.
It's so funny to talk about "not being sold" on established NHL veterans like Sturm, Goodrow, Kunin and Kostin while putting your eggs in the Bordeleau and Gushchin basket.
Yes, it's very easy to see what's real and what's the outlier with Kostin. The outlier is the 19 games with the Sharks where he shot 23.8%.
I feel like all of these things can't be true at the same time.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Gushchin’s best attribute is his offensive ability. With the exception of his extremely small sample size in the NHL, where he’s still scoring at a decent pace, he’s easily outsourced Kostin. In the AHL in 100 fewer games Gushchin has more points than Kostin. Kostin is on his 4th team and is still struggling to establish himself as an NHL regular and lacks the track record at lower levels to warrant the belief that he has more offensive ability than someone who has excelled everywhere he’s played. The Gushchin obsession is overstated by Hodge, he’s taking people’s optimism for a player and weaponizing it for engagement. He’s as much a part of it as anyone who likes Gushchin because he never misses an opportunity to bemoan their positive feelings. You can think Gushchin is not good enough to make it due to his known deficiencies like size, and leave it at that without inflating a severely flawed player’s offensive ability and stating it is equal or better than Gushchin’s.
I'm not going to wade into the Hodge back and forth, I don't agree with the way he's engaging on this one. And I understand your points. I just don't think, from an NHL GM or coach's perspective, that Gushchin is the guaranteed better offensive player in the NHL. More stereotypically skilled? Probably. But Kostin has hands and a huge body that he frustratingly only occasionally flashes. His upside is absolutely an impact winger but his inability to stick anywhere or show consistency is why he's a fringe player on a bottom 5 forwards roster in the league. Gush is younger so that gives him something, but he's got a far more uphill battle to translate his better AHL numbers into NHL production, and it's a fact that Kostin, with more opportunity, has shown a higher and more sustained level of NHL production SO FAR than Gush. He looked fine in game 1 but he also didn't really show anything that would make Warso want to give him a chance at more than 4th line/2nd PP. Kostin will get his chance tonight and may very well be back in the press box immediately. i still think Gush gets up to 40 games this year and will have his chance to prove it. But I don't think there's room for both Bords and Gush to prove it this year.

Reactions: Lebanezer

jarr92

May 7, 2013
How so? Gushchin and Kostin are both tweeners who wouldn't sniff NHL minutes on a better team. It doesn't matter which one is in the lineup.
Well is Kostin an established NHL veteran or not? You’ve argued both sides, and implied it was dumb to consider Kostin on the same level as Gushchin or Bordeleau. If you’ve now changed your mind I guess we can agree.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well is Kostin an established NHL veteran or not? You’ve argued both sides, and implied it was dumb to consider Kostin on the same level as Gushchin or Bordeleau. If you’ve now changed your mind I guess we can agree.
After how poorly Kostin performed in camp and preseason I wouldn't include him in the same category as Sturm, Goodrow and Kunin. Gushchin also performed well enough to raise his standing within the org depth chart. But only to the point that it's a coin flip on who should be in the lineup on a given night between the two. Ideally neither guy would be playing.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
No offense to the man, but why does NBCSCA keep using Ted Ramey for the pre- and post-game shows in an analyst role?

He's a host, not an analyst! Why do we need two hosts? I know a lot of retired players as analysts don't add a ton, but at least there's the potential for some unique insights based on them having played. There have to be enough around to fill out the schedule, right??

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The coaching decisions are what they are but it's early in the season so getting benched guys in makes sense to help everyone get up to game speed. I'm sure there will be guys worth benching after this game where Gush will get another chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad